What's your biggest pet peeve when it comes to people talking about football

Bolts223

Like what is either an argument people make or something people say that will automatically trigger you?

For me it is definitely someone saying something like, "QB A is 2-8 against QB B, therefore QB B is way better."

First of all: Football is a team sport with 53 players, a head coach, coordinators and a couple dozen trainers, positional coaches and assistants. That isn't even to mention the front offices which includes the GM, his assistants, scouts, analytics departments, etc.

And maybe even more importantly: QB's literally are never on the field at the same time. Ever. For all the talk  and hype about the Brady vs Manning rivalry - the actual competition was Brady vs Dungy's defenses and Manning vs Belichick's defenses. 

Anyways it very much triggers me for people to try and simplify the ultimate team sport like football is to something like a tennis match. A QB's record vs another QB literally tells you nothing other than whose team has been better.

What's your pet peeve?

• Like 3

Yep, QB vs QB - must be watching a different sport

Blaming refs - it's so boring and it's a cop-out for the real reasons you lost

Blatant lies not backed up with facts (e.g Brady or Rodgers get ALL the calls)

Cherry picking or double standards - e.g claiming their QB should be regarded much higher because he's working behind a bad OL but slates another team's RB for having a low YPC behind an equally poor line

saying 'period' after a statement. Ergh.

• Like 4

"The team with the first overall pick needs to trade down instead of taking the quarterback and fill their holes."

People say this literally every single year. What they don't realize, however, is that it takes two to tango. I'm sure general managers most of the time are fielding calls to trade down if it's a weak draft, but the other teams are simply not going to meet the demands.

"This player wouldn't be nearly as good if he were on Cleveland."

This is usually used to discount generally disliked players like Tom Brady. The fact is there is no way to prove it, so it's an invalid argument.

"He needs another shot; his supporting cast sucks."

You hear this a lot for bums like Josh Rosen. While this is true to a point, you have to show signs of promise in order for the argument to be valid. Rosen struggled because he's just not a very good quarterback.

"That was a reach."

If a team really likes a player, it makes sense to take him when given the opportunity; you don't know when they're coming off the board. It's better to be a round early than one pick late.

Edited by Elky

Writing off young QBs prematurely, especially on bad teams.

They're supposed to struggle, throw picks, and turn the ball over; that is the norm. As long as you see the flashes that warranted them first round picks and some semblance of progression from game-to-game and year-to-year, they are doing just fine. The average starting QB peaks around age 27. Give them time to develop.

• Like 4

Time of Possession discussions.

"They only held the ball for 3 minutes of game clock. that defense must be tired" Yes, but what was the real elasped time. That would factor in more from a stanima perspective.

Also, when X player rushes over 20 times, they win. Well yeah, you rush players more to run out the clock when you are ahead.

2 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

Anytime I try to talk about my favorite team -- the Patriots -- with anyone else thats not a Patriots fan.

"ChEaTeRs!"

What I can't stand is when they say Belicheat, but then say Brady would be nothing without Belichick.

Then again, if Belichick resigned they would praying every night before bed that their team hires him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elky said:

What I can't stand is when they say Belicheat, but then say Brady would be nothing without Belichick.

Then again, if Belichick resigned they would praying every night before bed that their team hires him.

100%. Also more recently something that bugged me...

Antonio Brown was suspected to have been misbehaving in Oakland, so he could get onto the Patriots roster.

Fans: "PaTrIoTs hAvE nO mOrAls! sCuMbAgS! tYpIcAl!"

Patriots release Brown.

Antonio Brown was alleged to have sexually assaulted and raped his trainer.

Gets workout by Saints.

Fans: "OMG AMAZING! CAN YOU IMAGINE BREES THROWING TO THOMAS ANNNNND BROWN?!"

It just goes to show the hypocrisy that exists when people talk about the Patriots.

• Like 1