End of the Patriots era?

rocky_rams

1 hour ago, Magnifico said:

I think the Pats have proven they can't draft skill position players particular WR's over the course of the Brady/Belicheck era. So it'll have to be through free agency.

This decade their only "hits" are James White, Gronkowski (amazing pick) and I guess Sony Michel depending on your opinion of him.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say skill position players overall, but WRs definitely. Especially in higher rounds. The two most successful Patriots WRs in the last 20 years drafted by them have been Edelman and Troy Brown, and both were late-round picks.

41 minutes ago, Soggust said:

The dynasty is "over" because they went 12-4 and lost in the wildcard round?

9_9

The level of expectations people have is ridiculous, tbh.

In strict terms, the dynasty is over when they go for a long stretch without winning a SB, so if they don't win one for several years, you could say it ended in 2018.

In more general NFL terms, Dynasties are by decade, Steelers-70s, Niners-80s, Cowboys-90s, Patriots-00s and to a slightly lesser extent, the 10s. So if they do not end up being the most dominant team with the most SBs in the 20s, then the dynasty ended in 2019.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

How in the damn how are people acting like the Patriots are what's done and not Brady? 

12 times (including yesterday) on the season they had to score 15 points to win the game. 

And speaking of Brady, here are his numbers against the playoff teams he's played this season:

163/285 - 1626 - 6TD 5INT

57%, 5.7 yards per attempt.  

The rest of his competition?  

Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Redskins, Giants, Jets, Browns, Cowboys, Bengals, Dolphins

So if you were to list his opponents based on their draft position, here is his competition:

18th, 5th, 11th, 2nd, 4th, 11th, 10th, 17th, 1st, 5th. 

Because context matters? Yes, he's not been great, but why are you completely disregarding the other aspects? Is it just with the Pats where you overlook situations? OL...injuries...run game...etc?

Comparing it to 2018 is laughable and proves our point. I don't think there were many (if any) OL rotations at all last season, this season we've had turnstyles come and go, a G at C, then a debutant at C. We've only had 2 constants on the OL, and one is horribly out of form. No run game for most of the season, Sanu has been a disaster, Edelman banged up ALL season long, Gordon and Brown cut. No timing at all.

This isn't JUST on Tom, and you know it.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

In strict terms, the dynasty is over when they go for a long stretch without winning a SB, so if they don't win one for several years, you could say it ended in 2018.

In more general NFL terms, Dynasties are by decade, Steelers-70s, Niners-80s, Cowboys-90s, Patriots-00s and to a slightly lesser extent, the 10s. So if they do not end up being the most dominant team with the most SBs in the 20s, then the dynasty ended in 2019.

Are these your personal definitions? Because they seem... made up. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Are these your personal definitions? Because they seem... made up. 

The first is just a general definition that people would use for anything competitive, the 2nd is a very widespread used definition of NFL dynasty, one you have certainly heard of before.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Because context matters? Yes, he's not been great, but why are you completely disregarding the other aspects? Is it just with the Pats where you overlook situations? OL...injuries...run game...etc?

Comparing it to 2018 is laughable and proves our point. I don't think there were many (if any) OL rotations at all last season, this season we've had turnstyles come and go, a G at C, then a debutant at C. We've only had 2 constants on the OL, and one is horribly out of form. No run game for most of the season, Sanu has been a disaster, Edelman banged up ALL season long, Gordon and Brown cut. No timing at all.

We also have to take into account the context that the Pats defense this year was incredible. Tom was never asked to do too much to win games. If the defense takes a step back next year which is certainly likely then Tom and the offense will have to make up the difference just to stay where they are now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Why are you ignoring that Tom Brady is 42 years old?  38-year-old Brady could have had Julian Edleman's handicapped nephew at WR and played better than he did this season. 

2 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The first is just a general definition that people would use for anything competitive, the 2nd is a very widespread used definition of NFL dynasty, one you have certainly heard of before.

IMO most people consider the final championship win the last year of a dynasty. The other is sometimes related to dynasties and I guess it is interchangeable. But normally thats more "team of the ____". 

For example most people consider the Cowboys dynasty over in 1996 and also consider them the "team of the 90's". 

12 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

The Patriots 2001-present era/dynasty/run is the greatest in the history of the NFL  

Did we finally just witness their demise? 

And if we did, who do we think will be the next to take the throne?

I don't think there will be a next dynasty if the bar is comparing it to the Patriots for a long time. Yes I do think the dynasty for them is over in the sense of being considered a Superbowl threat every year. I only count something as a dynasty if you are winning multiple titles while maintaining an elite winning percentage over a long time.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say Baltimore strings off at minimum 10 win seasons for the next decade but don't win any championships (Just an example so don't take that as anything against Baltimore in particular)...to me that isn't a dynasty at all. 

• Like 1