End of the Patriots era?

rocky_rams

4 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Who knows. I am pretty sure Belichick isn't leaving, so it is all about what happens to Brady and McDaniels.

Those who think Belichick is the prime reason for the success of this team, who comment repeatedly about how well the team has done with Cassel and Garoppolo and Brissett, they must think that Brady retiring or going to another team would not be the end of the era. Ditto the people who think Brady is done. They must be afraid of Brady retiring or leaving, right? Personally, I feel like Brady is still one of the better QBs in the league, but he absolutely is declining, and signing him to a big deal severely limits how well the team can rebuild around him for another championship run. But I also wouldn't blame Brady for wanting a big deal. He has always signed team-friendly deals.

Brady might see what materializes around him before he decides what to do. Will McDaniels leave? Say what you want about McDaniels, but he and Brady have a very close working relationship. If McDaniels went to the Browns, would the Browns be willing to get rid of Mayfield for a couple more seasons of Brady to chase a championship? I could see that being an attractive landing spot for Brady with the offensive weapons they have, but at the same time, I'm not sure he'd want to uproot his cosmopolitan family from the CT suburbs to go to Cleveland. Ditto the Panthers and Cam Newton, but that seems less likely.

I also feel like Brady has some incentive to stay with his whole TB12 business.

I do feel like Belichick wants to prove that he can win with another QB and realizes he will only be coaching for so long. Paying Brady top FA money throws a wrench in his ability to build toward that, and if it's a multiyear deal, that's the case even more.

Whatever does happen, I am fine with. Can't complain for the rest of my life as a Pats fan.

I think Josh is so low on the relevancy scale for what the Patriots future looks like. I dont think he tips the scale either way. If Bill is there i have a hard time seeing NE ever being "bad" at worst, avg with like a 9-7 season.

11 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I think Josh is so low on the relevancy scale for what the Patriots future looks like. I dont think he tips the scale either way. If Bill is there i have a hard time seeing NE ever being "bad" at worst, avg with like a 9-7 season.

Yeah, I think Josh is only relevant insofar as it affects whether Brady decides to stay or sign somewhere else.

• Like 1

My friends, the dynasty IS winding down. Several on here have brought up great points. Father Time has found Brady, my man has ice on his once golden elbow every week. His surrounding cast is lackluster. There are many pending free agents ahead, but let us talk about the other elephant in the room, the competition.

Yes, all hail what they did in 20 years, but look at their division! Drop them in the middle of the AFC North and they would be dog meat. Seriously, imagine them having to have played the Ravens twice, the Steelers twice, and Cincinatti twice (Lewis/Burfict years). Instead, they got milquetoast Bills, Jets, and Dolphins. Guess what? Dolphins just beat them in their house and Buffalo just got a WHOLE lot better and look to build on that.

Go around the conference after that, the Chiefs, the Texans, the Ravens, and the Titans are all young and hungry teams. When you factor the likes of Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, & Tannehill (Sounds like a lawfirm) against a guy who is clearly feeling his age, it is a fact the GOAT cannot hold off the pack much longer. If he could have, he would have. He is mortal now.

Will the Patriots still be good, oh yeah, but their dominance is at an end. 

Edited by Silver
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

In my opinion.  The Dynasty lives or dies with Brady.  If he retires (which I don't think happens), or some how goes to another team, it's over. If he stays, the Patriots live to fight another year.

Peace!!!

What would you credit of the Patriots' success to, if you were to divide it up? How much credit goes to Brady? How much goes to BB? How much goes to the other coaching staff and ownership?

1 hour ago, lolsurebro said:
2 hours ago, cortes02 said:

In my opinion.  The Dynasty lives or dies with Brady.  If he retires (which I don't think happens), or some how goes to another team, it's over. If he stays, the Patriots live to fight another year.

Peace!!!

What would you credit of the Patriots' success to, if you were to divide it up? How much credit goes to Brady? How much goes to BB? How much goes to the other coaching staff and ownership?

What I am about to say is most likely going to be ridiculed heavily, but I feel that the sucess of the Patriots is due more to Tom Brady being the greatest of all time as opposed to Belichick's coaching. That's just my honest opinion. 

Peace!!!

1 hour ago, cortes02 said:

What I am about to say is most likely going to be ridiculed heavily, but I feel that the sucess of the Patriots is due more to Tom Brady being the greatest of all time as opposed to Belichick's coaching. That's just my honest opinion. 

Peace!!!

I’d agree but Bill went 11-5 a whole year without Brady, 1 loss more than the current team. They are fortunate to have each other for sure, but I think more wins this season were by Bill than what Brady did on the field.

Do they win 6 Super Bowls without Brady? Hell no. Do they get to six without Bill? Hell no. So it is a push. TIp of the hat to both men, but as Father Time creeps up on Tom it has no effect on Bill’s coaching. 

• Like 2

I'm simply waiting for Belly to break out some obscure rule from the 1940s that will get the Patriots back into the playoffs - this season.

That's right, it'll be Baltimore/New England IN New England for the AFC crown this year.

• Like 1

While I do credit the Pats for their SB victories, let’s not undermine the fact they played in a division with the Jets, Bills and Dolphins, each of whom has NEVER done anything to put up resistance towards winning that division over that time period. Given 5-6 wins each year can build a lot of success and confidence towards a dynasty build.