2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

The one thing I don't understand is signing these guys to 1 year prove it deals, how can Will Parks or anybody prove anything if they'll be starting at the bottom of the depth chart with no experience in the system. If OTAs or any offseason workouts/camps are delayed/cancelled they'll be behind the 8 ball even more. I would include a team option for year 2 or something. With everything going on their inability to commit is probably why FAs taking the sale pitch

Haven't listened to it, but saw it on reddit

Adam Caplan via ITB: Hopkins was a no-go for cap reasons, 2021 is going to be a "very tough" as-is from a cap perspective.
And Eagles have "some" interest in Joe Flacco.

So basically had Howie not done the incredibly dumb contract restructure with Alshon, Carson gets to throw to Hop for 5 years + whoever we draft this year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

The one thing I don't understand is signing these guys to 1 year prove it deals, how can Will Parks or anybody prove anything if they'll be starting at the bottom of the depth chart with no experience in the system. If OTAs or any offseason workouts/camps are delayed/cancelled they'll be behind the 8 ball even more. I would include a team option for year 2 or something. With everything going on their inability to commit is probably why FAs taking the sale pitch

Very little cap in 2021

51 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Haven't listened to it, but saw it on reddit

So basically had Howie not done the incredibly dumb contract restructure with Alshon, Carson gets to throw to Hop for 5 years + whoever we draft this year.

It’s bs... we could afford hopkins. We paid slay and hargrave, but can’t pay hopkins? Yeah ok caplan. We’re good on cap space. Cutting jefferey saves 13 mill, extending Ertz saves 8 mill, cap carry over Atleast 10 mill. That’s a good 31 mill right there . Then we have djax, malik jackson, graham maybe pay cut from 17 mill? 

Edited by DeSean Jackson

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Nah. He gets beat by any double move or any WR with size.

So from what I've watched on game pass on Maddox as outside CB this past season: he had one rough play against HOF Russell Wilson and freak DK Metcalf where it seemed to be some miscommunication. Some rough plays against elite Davante Adams and HOF Aaron Rodgers after being thrown into outside CB after Sidney Jones went to blue tent. Literally everything else from him at outside CB (granted very small sample size) is solid play from him with some very impressive play in there. As a ROOKIE thrown into the fire of a shuffling secondary, he had some rough plays against HOF combo Michael Thomas and Drew Brees, one rough play against Allen Robinson in road playoff game, and that's all the negatives there. All other play at outside CB his rookie season was very solid.

Overall, you can see how many times he was matched up against the opposing #1 WR. That wouldn't happen anymore with Slay here. And even when he was matched up against those #1's, he more than held his own. This idea of Maddox inability to play outside CB needs to end.

Edited by EagleBlueDon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Overall, you can see how many times he was matched up against the opposing #1 WR. That wouldn't happen anymore with Slay here. 

I will give you that. 

Every time he's gone up against a bigger physical guy who's a #1 for their team he gets roasted. Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, Julio Jones.

Edited by Danger

See this 2021 cap info 37 anticipated players with a 217m cap number... that scenario imo just screams we may have to keep a majority of the draft picks or at least deal some for future picks. 

Packaging picks to move up would lower the potential numbers we have signed in 2021 when the cap is being taken up by those high valued vets. I guess if the opportunity presents itself to move up for a specific can't miss player sure. 

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

I will give you that. 

Every time he's gone up against a bigger physical guy who's a #1 for their team he gets roasted. Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, Julio Jones.

Man I just watched every snap of his the past 2 years and I'm just not seeing that. A bad play here and there sure, but no more than any other corner going up against those monsters. Maybe a few big plays are kind of etched in your memory? Can you at least agree that he'd never have to guard those guys anymore?

June 1st Alshon this year.
June 1st BG next year.
Restructure Brooks and Cox.

Salary cap should go up roughly $30M (regular $10M or so annual growth and the addition of the increased revenue from 17 games and players share)

We can be at almost $65M in cap space next year from doing those moves.

Just now, EagleBlueDon said:

Can you at least agree that he'd never have to guard those guys anymore?

Yeah, and with that in mind, I'm open to the thought of further experimentation with him outside, but I still feel he'd be best allocated playing in the slot.