BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I would like someone w access to PFF to explain what additional stuff Montgomery was doing I am not taking into account.

PFF always struggles with skill players which is why I never use them for that.  They place silly things like blitz pickup on the same level as actual production 

PFF is great for o linemen, 4-3 DE/int, cornerbacks on team's that play a ton of man.  Safeties on zone heavy teams and mlb /4-3 olb.  Unfortunately they've always struggled equating their ratings on RB, TE, wr and qb (they've gotten better on this last one) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

PFF always struggles with skill players which is why I never use them for that.  They place silly things like blitz pickup on the same level as actual production 

PFF is great for o linemen, 4-3 DE/int, cornerbacks on team's that play a ton of man.  Safeties on zone heavy teams and mlb /4-3 olb.  Unfortunately they've always struggled equating their ratings on RB, TE, wr and qb (they've gotten better on this last one) 

Yeah, pass protection was the only thing I hadn’t charted that’s important for a RB, but it’s misconceptions like this that make people believe you can replace elite RBs (see: Mike Davis volume w Carolina as example), but it’s not just my biases but there were lots of excellent RB play last week and I didn’t think Montgomery was one of the reasons for excitement. Pass pro for RB is important but it’s silly to suggest based on what we saw this week Montgomery is the first RB I’d want to pick.

After some consideration, I have to believe if Jimmy Garoppolo, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, and Jared Goff can all be among the top 8 paid QBs at the position, Jameis Winston should probably get an opportunity to get a second opportunity as an undisputed starter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Yeah, pass protection was the only thing I hadn’t charted that’s important for a RB, but it’s misconceptions like this that make people believe you can replace elite RBs (see: Mike Davis volume w Carolina as example), but it’s not just my biases but there were lots of excellent RB play last week and I didn’t think Montgomery was one of the reasons for excitement. Pass pro for RB is important but it’s silly to suggest based on what we saw this week Montgomery is the first RB I’d want to pick.

Another thing they highly value is breaking tackles and yards after contact. Montgomery forced 8 missed tackles and had 84 total yards on plays throughout the game being hit initially behind the line of scrimmage 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MD4L said:

After some consideration, I have to believe if Jimmy Garoppolo, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, and Jared Goff can all be among the top 8 paid QBs at the position, Jameis Winston should probably get an opportunity to get a second opportunity as an undisputed starter.

I really hope so. 

I can sort of see @Blue's perspective on gameplans. While I have had variations on offense, largely due to injuries, I'd say the majority of owners run close to the same 'primary' formation each week that fits their offense, and defensively, we can 'identify' a base defense based on what we believe we'll be seeing, but at the same time it's also adjusted based on offense. In terms of gameplan I've sometimes considered whether something 'fresh' would be nice, because there's only so many different ways I can put "I have Khalil Mack, Myles Garrett, and Chase Young at Edge, and you have WHAT at tackle to protect?" without it feeling stale and re-run.

• Like 1