Ravens Roster Offseason Plans

AngusMcFife

I don't know that I could say with confidence that Boykin won't develop. It's just it makes me nervous if we more or less keep the same core in tact and place a lot of our faith in further improvements in our pass-catchers in Boykin being a quality #2 receiver next year. Which is why I come back to wanting to see us bring in a quality vet in FA who we could slot into the #2 role behind Hollywood (who I do have a lot of confidence in to develop into a real #1 next year) and avoid putting too much pressure on Boykin. 

Guess we'll also have to see who gets cut/becomes available in the trade market in addition to the FA's, which seems right now to just be Green, Anderson, and Sanders. I'm guessing Brandon Cooks will be available but he seems to be in Jordan Reed territory with the concussions. Could see the Chiefs cutting Sammy Watkins who wouldn't be a terrible signing as long as we have the right expectations for him. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I don't know that I could say with confidence that Boykin won't develop. It's just it makes me nervous if we more or less keep the same core in tact and place a lot of our faith in further improvements in our pass-catchers in Boykin being a quality #2 receiver next year. Which is why I come back to wanting to see us bring in a quality vet in FA who we could slot into the #2 role behind Hollywood (who I do have a lot of confidence in to develop into a real #1 next year) and avoid putting too much pressure on Boykin. 

Guess we'll also have to see who gets cut/becomes available in the trade market in addition to the FA's, which seems right now to just be Green, Anderson, and Sanders. I'm guessing Brandon Cooks will be available but he seems to be in Jordan Reed territory with the concussions. Could see the Chiefs cutting Sammy Watkins who wouldn't be a terrible signing as long as we have the right expectations for him. 

This is where I'm at as well. We need to bring in someone established this off-season.

A WR and IOL are the two offensive position that need to be addressed.

Edited by M.10.E

4 hours ago, M.10.E said:

This is where I'm at as well. We need to bring in someone established this off-season.

A WR and IOL are the two offensive position that need to be addressed.

Emmanuel Sanders feels like the guy for me. Chrisp route runner. Always finds a way to get open and make clutch catches. Hes 32 which is on the older side but with his style of play, he fits the mold of our team. Could be a real safety blanket for Lamar. 

1 minute ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Emmanuel Sanders feels like the guy for me. Chrisp route runner. Always finds a way to get open and make clutch catches. Hes 32 which is on the older side but with his style of play, he fits the mold of our team. Could be a real safety blanket for Lamar. 

We definitely need a crafty veteran route runner who can help our younger guys out. I'd love Emmanuel Sanders in that mold. 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

We definitely need a crafty veteran route runner who can help our younger guys out. I'd love Emmanuel Sanders in that mold. 

He could really have a hand in helping develop Boykin and other potential draft picks at WR. AJ Green can obviously be that guy too but who knows if he's going to be franchised and what not. 

If AJ isn't signed. I can see someone like the Eagle's throwing a bunch of money at him. 

All of these are pretty unlikely, but given how unpredictable the trade market can be, a couple of guys maybe worth monitoring: Adam Thielen or Stefon Diggs, if the capped out Vikings feel like they need to free up money to make a big move to try and get over the hump in the playoffs; Robert Woods, if the cap and draft-pick strapped Rams similarly need to change things up with one eye towards needing to extend Kupp soon; and Keenan Allen, if Rivers retires and the Chargers go into teardown mode and sell Allen given he's only got 1 year left on his contract. 

• Like 1

In terms of Emmanuel Sanders, we had an opportunity to trade for him but didn’t get it done. He’s on a SB caliber team already, I doubt he leaves his new team with a quality QB that he’s got some consistency with to leave unless he gets overpaid. Tbh I think they extend him before the period of him becoming a FA.

I think it’s more likely Green becomes a FA, though with that, he’ll probably be franchises and traded... which would take him off the table for us. But Green was clearly not hurt all season, I think he clearly leverage his star power to make sure he got paid while not damaging himself for his next big deal. If he’s franchise tagged and not traded, I’m sure he would largely activate strategies that pay him the most amount while doing the least damage to his body... including sitting out training camp and reporting late. Then finding other “bogus injuries” while the Bengals would be forced to trade him. They would be smart to move on. Most likely he gets traded next season at the deadline for peanuts to another team because the Bengals aren’t smart enough to know when they could get the most for their franchised player... unless they get lucky like the Jags did of course. But that’s neither here nor there.

Overall both are probably unlikely. The draft is likely our best opportunity to improve the receiver position and while we have bigger needed positions... we HAVE TO address the WR position considering many in the draft community believe this to be the most talented WR class in the last 20 years. Thus we would be foolish to not spend at least a day 2 pick on a WR because Boykin showed some promise early.

The reality is that at Notre Dame, Boykin never showed star potential and that’s why a guy with such an elite profile could fall to the 3rd round. His age score suggests that he’s slow to develop as well. I wouldn’t rely on him. If he comes out and balls, cool. But there’s going to be better options to upgrade the team in the draft. I would rather instead we focus on upgrading the other spots such as ILB, IDL, or Edge with a cut veteran and then either double dip at those positions via the draft using day 3 picks OR prioritizing them highly in the draft only after all else fails. With WR even if we get a veteran I’m double dipping with the draft. Seth Roberts is gone and Jaleel Scott can surely be upgraded. Boykin can be a special teams option if he can’t prove to beat out some of the other options.

• Like 1

Stealing this format from @RavensfanRD :

Keep

• Jimmy Smith (agree with maybe a 2-3 year, team friendly deal)
  • Levine (should be fairly cheap to retain on a multi-year deal)
  • McPhee (given the injury history, he should also be fairly cheap to retain)
  • Bynes (if he is willing to potentially serve as a mentor and rotation guy, I say we keep him)
  • Ward (if he is willing to re-sign for cheap, could serve as good depth with the loss of Pierce)

Folks on the fence

• Matthew Judon (If no better options present themselves and he isn't asking for ridiculous money, then maybe we keep him)

Let 'em walk

• Jefferson
  • Carr
  • Pierce
  • Peanut
  • Roberts
  • Moore
  • DAT
  • Peko
  • Ellis

Players to target in FA

• Clowney - Willing to throw big bucks at him for guaranteed production
  • Chris Jones - Same as Clowney.
  • Yannick Ngakoue - Same as Clowney.
  • AJ Green - pending health and what the Bengals opt to do with him, I'd be willing to throw a good amount of money his way.
  • Shaw Lawson - if we miss out on everyone else, I feel we could get him for cheaper than Judon (maybe)

Players to target in the draft

•  Yetur Gross-Matos
  • AJ Epenesa
  • Anfernee Jennings
  • Kenneth Murray
  • ...just load up on the best possible defensive players available and go from there
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Real talk I think this could be a blessing in disguise for us if Bobby Engram goes to the Eagles. He hasn't done a damn thing since he's been here and maybe we could get someone to actually develop a WR.

He moved to TE's coach this year and Culley is our WRs coach. But I get your point.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Seems like a good amount of people are in camp- trade up for an Elite EDGE or WR prospect.

Given someone like Justin Jefferson could easily last to the mid-late second round given how many talented WRs there are in this class, I'm not sure trading up in the 1st round for one would be a good idea

• Like 1