2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I definitely think at least Bradley Chubb also fits the blue chip moniker. Based on my personal evaluations, I’d also include Hurst, Vea, Ward, and Guice.

Others would probably include Nelson, Fitzpatrick, and James.

If we are using the term blue chip to mean "reliable investment" then yes I would agree. But I certainly wouldn't call them elite (which is word that gets used to loosely). 

Examples.... Clowney was an elite type player coming out. Chubb, is not at that level. Barkely is on an AP type level. Guice is not IMO, though I love his game. 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If we are using the term blue chip to mean "reliable investment" then yes I would agree. But I certainly wouldn't call them elite (which is word that gets used to loosely). 

Examples.... Clowney was an elite type player coming out. Chubb, is not at that level. Barkely is on an AP type level. Guice is not IMO, though I love his game. 

I believe all the players I listed have All Pro ceilings and very safe floors. That’s how I term “elite” prospect. I’d include Chubb in the same class as Clowney, Mack, Garrett, Bosa, Buckner, etc.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I believe all the players I listed have All Pro ceilings and very safe floors. That’s how I term “elite” prospect. I’d include Chubb in the same class as Clowney, Mack, Garrett, Bosa, Buckner, etc.

I love Chubb, but Chubb isn't as good as Miles Garret taken last year and certainly not on the same level as a Clowney. He's got work to do with his pass rush moves to get there. Top defensive player in the class., but not "elite" in my eye. But ceiling to be a premier defender. 

Elite I guess just means something different to everyone. That's why I hate the word. Elite to me is a once in a generation talent. A guy you can look at and say this guy is going to dominate the game for a decade. 

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Reggie's drafts have been Meh recently. His 2-4th round selections have been particularly poor. So I don't have much confidence in adding talent that can effect the team early on. 

Blue chip "elite" talents, hmmmm outside Barkley I can't answer that. This class is largely seen as pretty lackluster at the top and seen as one of the worst classes in recent memory in scouting circles.

Fans will convince themselves there is "elite" talent but every guy outside Barkely seems to have some question marks. IMO "elite" refers to an all-pro talent, which I just don't see a lot of. 

I view prospects like Barkley Mack Clowney as all world... there is a few blue chip prospects every year

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I definitely think at least Bradley Chubb also fits the blue chip moniker. Based on my personal evaluations, I’d also include Hurst, Vea, Ward, and Guice.

Others would probably include Nelson, Fitzpatrick, and James.

you don't like any of the wideouts or any of these guys who are considered blue chip

WR Courtland Sutton

WR Calvin Ridley

WR Christian Kirk

LB Roquan smith

Edge Arden Key

DT Da'ron Payne 

8 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

you don't like any of the wideouts or any of these guys who are considered blue chip

WR Courtland Sutton

WR Calvin Ridley

WR Christian Kirk

LB Roquan smith

Edge Arden Key

DT Da'ron Payne 

I wouldn’t consider any of those players blue chip. That said, I wouldn’t mind Sutton in the range the Raiders are picking. He’s not a slam dunk prospect, but he’s a good fit for Carr. 

Of all of those I like Key the least. He’s all projection. There’s very little to like on-field from what I see. The rest are good, but not great or elite prospects.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Elite I guess just means something different to everyone. That's why I hate the word. Elite to me is a once in a generation talent. A guy you can look at and say this guy is going to dominate the game for a decade. 

Except they never end up being “once in a generation”. Clowney wasn’t even the best pass rusher in his class. An elite prospect to me means a high floor/high ceiling player. I fully expect the guys I listed to compete for top 5-10 in their position group year in, year out.

7 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm with you on this. I don't think they have to be pro bowlers coming out of the draft. I think blue chip refers to a group that will have a chance to be one of the best at their position in terms of their skillset/athletic tools.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm with you on this. I don't think they have to be pro bowlers coming out of the draft. I think blue chip refers to a group that will have a chance to be one of the best at their position in terms of their skillset/athletic tools.

I agree with this except for the "have a chance" part. To be blue chip means you ARE among the best of the position. Not having to build to it and/or prove it, that is potential. But that is semantics. Just was part of a discussion I was having with a friend recently that made me think of it.

Archived