2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

We can't give up on Obi after one game in his rookie year. I think he'll be a good player. Safety isn't a huge need. Corner, linebacker, and defensive line/pass rusher are much bigger needs. I think we need at least one talented DL in this class if we want a successful draft/year next year. Mo Hurst is an interesting player. He's a bit of a tweener, but he's so disruptive. I know Rich likes him and I tend to agree with most of his "likes/dislikes".

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We can't give up on Obi after one game in his rookie year. I think he'll be a good player. Safety isn't a huge need. Corner, linebacker, and defensive line/pass rusher are much bigger needs. I think we need at least one talented DL in this class if we want a successful draft/year next year. Mo Hurst is an interesting player. He's a bit of a tweener, but he's so disruptive. I know Rich likes him and I tend to agree with most of his "likes/dislikes".

I'd draft Vita Vea at NT and play MEJ at UT

Liked what I say from Chubb and Michel today. I’d probably throw in Michel with Harris as a guy I’d take in round 2. 

Roquan Smith had a great game with some nice stops. Still, I’m not taking a second level linebacker top 10 without having the front 4 sorted out.

Okoronkwo looked great, but I’m not sure his fit in a balanced 4-3 if that’s the direction the team goes. I suspect he’d be better as a SLB than end.

1: Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Alabama
2: Taven Bryan, DL Florida
3. Antony Miller, WR Memphis
4.  Royce Freeman, RB Oregon

Would be my ideal first picks at the moment. I really like Taven Bryan and buy some of his round one hype, but his consistency, lack of counting stats, and lack of experience I could see him being available to our top ten second round pick in a deep class similar to how Chris Jones from Miss State went to KC.

DE: Michael Bennett -- Taven Bryan
NT: Tony McDaniel -- Eddie Vanderdoes
DT: Brandon Mebane -- Mario Edwards Jr.
DE: Cliff Avril -- Khalil Mack
LB: KJ Wright -- Obi Melifonwu
LB: Bobby Wagner -- Navarro Bowman
LB: Bruce Irvin -- Bruce Irvin
CB: Richard Sherman -- Gareon Conley // Sean Smith if legal issues resolved
CB: Tharold Simon -- David Amerson
CB: Jeremy Lane -- Travis TJ Carrie
SS: Kam Chancellor -- Karl Joseph
FS:  Earl Thomas -- Minkah Fitzpatrick

Obviously there are some stark differences in player to player, but I view this as an option going forward. Vanderdoes is slimmer and more penetrating than the typical Seattle 43 Under NT, but I view this as a functional benefit as additional pressure up the middle would benefit us in my view and Vanderdoes if he tweaks his technique to be less aggressive (he is extremely aggressive at 3 tech penetrating under tackle where he can loose his balance and fall opening a running lane) when lining more as a 1 technique a shade off the center could solidify our defense up the middle. His talents at NT being able to dominate that center and guard shade gap would allow Bowman to shoot the gap opposite quite well in theory. Additionally Obi playing as a linebacker is likely unpopular, but I could see him doing well on the strongside with the assignment against the playmaking TEs. Telvin Smith on the Jaguars isn't too far off body build wise as well and his athleticism in their LB corps allows for a lot of play in the zones as well allowing more complex blitzes than we have shown in the past year. Fitzpatrick's versatility along with the ability to start at CB, both outside and in the slot, would allow depth and allow sets with Obi at safety and Fitz at CB, but Fitzpatrick's deep center field cover excites me allowing Karl Joseph to act as a punisher in the box. Another view could compare to the Cardinals with Edwards and Bryan playing 5 technique with Ward and potentially Autry as depth there and Obi at LB mimicking Deone Bucannon with Mack as Jones, Bowman as Dansby, Irvin as Reddick, Fitz as Mathieu and Joseph as Baker.

In the third  and fourth rounds I'd begin to try and find a runningback and athletic twitch guy for the slot like Antony Miller, WR Memphis, DJ Chark, WR LSU or whatever hard working speed option remains on board to complement Cooper and Crabtree. The runningback class is loaded enough to address into the 4th I believe with options like Royce Freeman from Oregon or one of the bruisers from Alabama potentially being available.

Just an early thought to kick the offseason off.

1: Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Alabama
Versatile defensive back that can play cornerback outside and inside, but would be a phenomenal complement to Karl Joseph patrolling the deep ball.
2: Taven Bryan, DL Florida
Ideal frame, quick off the snap disruption that can play across the d line. Needs additional counter moves as he relies too heavily on power bull rushes, but talented fit whose versatility and explosiveness could emphasize that which sometimes lacks from our dline.
3. Antony Miller, WR Memphis
This prospect is exciting and I offer DJ Chark as another option as I could see Anthony Miller rising potentially as things shake out as they always do. Walk on and extremely hard worker who went from productive player with Paxton Lynch to stat packing almost Antonio Brown-like production his final year. This is a guy to flip on a highlight video for to see the way he moves.
4.  Royce Freeman, RB Oregon
Highly productive, but not the Saquon Barkley Darrius Guice level price tag. I think a red zone option and short yardage back would complement Richard and Washington in the backfield.

13 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've been doing some research on draft picks.  I dont know much about these guys but here are some names I see popping up at positions of need for us at 9 or 10.  Let me know your thoughts?

OT:  There are a few guys here that I don't know much about.  If any are legit studs they should be considered.

Edge: Chubb/ Key.  We need edge rushers to compliment Mack.  Both of these players have potential.

RB: Barkley.  I doubt he is there but he is the only RB I can see us pulling the trigger on in the top 10.

S: James/ Fitz  Both these guys appear to be good players at areas of need.  I'm not convinced Obi is the long term answer so they both should be considered. 

CB:  I'm not to sure who the top guys are but I do know we can use help at CB.

LB: Smith.  He is the only LB I see us taking in the first.  He sounds like he should be a good player.

WR:  We need a legit 1x, not sure if that type of WR is in this draft.  I am not a fan of taking a WR top 10 unless he is an elite 1x.

DT:  Hurst/ Vea.  Both of these guys appear to be legit players at areas of need.  One of these 2 combined with EVD could provide that interior rush we have been lacking.  

good breakdown..  a few guys who is being overlooked

DT Da'ron Payne, CB Denzel Ward

Archived