NightTrainLane

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

what would you think of this mock

1. Da'ron Payne DT     day 1 starter, been a force for Bama and freak athlete 

2.  Jaire Alexander CB    deep corner class

3. Antonio Callaway WR  - character issues, but so talented

4. Desmond Harrison OT - small school sleeper

5. Rasaad Penny RB- deep RB class

I would think you need to "go look at the film" so you realize that Penny is likely a 2nd or 3rd round grade. And Harrison is a 2nd.

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Floyd is a 240 lb. OLB. Chubb is a pure DE. I don't see the comparison. 

They're both edge rushers/defenders and Chubb is better in just about every category. He's bigger, just as explosive, is more refined as a prospect, and has better bend. He can rush from a 2 or 3 point stance.

I'd say his main "weakness" is his length, which I don't put too much stock into anyway.

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

They're both edge rushers/defenders and Chubb is better in just about every category. He's bigger, just as explosive, is more refined as a prospect, and has better bend. He can rush from a 2 or 3 point stance.

I'd say his main "weakness" is his length, which I don't put too much stock into anyway.

Yeah, I agree with all this. Said about the same previously.

The "weakness" of his length sure has hurt Mack in his career haha (They're both 6'3). But I can see it being a slight knock as it is a bit under the prototype DE/Edge guy 6'-4-6'6 265-280 range team like. But I think he'll erase a lot of doubt when he is killing the Ts in this class all offseason.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:00 PM, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah, I agree with all this. Said about the same previously.

The "weakness" of his length sure has hurt Mack in his career haha (They're both 6'3). But I can see it being a slight knock as it is a bit under the prototype DE/Edge guy 6'-4-6'6 265-280 range team like. But I think he'll erase a lot of doubt when he is killing the Ts in this class all offseason.

Usually length is factored more by arm length than height. Mack actually has ideal length at 33 1/4” arms. I suspect Chubb might be under 33”. That said Melvin Ingram has 31 1/2” arms, Brandon Graham has 32 1/2” arms, and Everson Griffen has 32 5/8” arms so it’s far from a deal breaker.

53 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Usually length is factored more by arm length than height. Mack actually has ideal length at 33 1/4” arms. I suspect Chubb might be under 33”. That said Melvin Ingram has 31 1/2” arms, Brandon Graham has 32 1/2” arms, and Everson Griffen has 32 5/8” arms so it’s far from a deal breaker.

That is true and not true. Yes, arm length can be a factor in reach and keeping the blocker off you by  literally keeping them at arms length. But height also plays an important factor in length as taller players often have longer arms and if the body is longer then the arms start higher up and are therefore bigger obstacles in plugging passing lanes. Also if the player plays with good bend then an inch isn't a big deal in arm length because they can still get around the corner and the reach to grab or harass the QB is still there because they are bent over or lunging. 

All in all, if you can rush you can rush and as long as you aren't really deficient like 6'1 for a edge player or 5'8 for a corner then it's not a huge detractor.

For those of you who are fans, Voch Lombardi just posted a video on Oklahoma Edge player Ogbonnia Okoronkwo.

https://youtu.be/eI7WM1f_K64

I sort of wrote him off after watching a cut up against Texas a while back, but he brings up some good points here. Just watched his game against Kansas State and he looks like a dynamo off the edge — like a super charged Bruce Irvin.

My second look comp for him his Melvin Ingram.

54 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I was going to give the same comparison.

I do not see the Le'Veon comps at all. His cuts are okay -- but that's more a style than physical trait. He has nowhere near the agility or burst. The closest prospect I've seen to Bell was Joe Mixon last year.

His comp to me is early career Demarco Murray.

I was actually thinking Murray’s running style but he has mcfaddens body type. Upright runner with that body type and injury history scares me. He’s explosive so I would still be happy with him but I would have some concerns. He is a pretty good receiver though, which I like.  I would prefer Penny or Damien Harris though. Either way, I would be shocked if we did not draft a back in the first three rounds this year regardless of what happens with lynch.

20 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

I would prefer Penny or Damien Harris though.

This. So much this.

I'd add Sony Michel, John Kelly and Akrum Wadley. Though the last two are slightly undersized, they still have the burst, toughness, vision and playmaking that I wanna see on our team next year.

Archived