2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yup, I mentioned him weeks ago. He can lineup all over the place and the key will be a DC that can use him in creative ways to get pressure on the QB.

I don't think he can line up all over the place on the next level. Too small to play inside. DE maybe, OLB but can he drop in coverage. He's a hard player to find a spot for. 

49 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He had good coverage on Penny, it was just a good throw. 6th round highly unlikely... he will push 3rd round after the combine where he will test well. 

I think he's a 4.7 long strider who has stiff hips but I like him. If he's 4.5 then I can see him Being a 3rd rounder

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think he can line up all over the place on the next level. Too small to play inside. DE maybe, OLB but can he drop in coverage. He's a hard player to find a spot for. 

By "all over the place" I didn't mean at DT in base sets, even though he is almost exactly the size Mack was when he came out and Mack bulked some and has been used in the middle in different set. I meant it in a more practical sense that he could be a LB in any position in a 3-4 and he could play 4-3 DE or OLB. The role he plays will determine what he needs to work on. He would need to improve his coverage instincts as an off the line LB and add more pass rush moves as a edge rusher but those are the reasons he is in the 2nd-3rd range and not the 1st because of his production. It's also why I said that a skilled DC will be thrilled to add and play with him and what he allows the defense to do. He will develop nicely IMO because of his athletic traits, his strength and experience in the trenches defeating blocks and learning offensive line keys and his instincts and nose for the ball.

Once again, I said as much when I mentioned him weeks ago.

I like him too. Tbh, depending on what happens in free agency, I wouldn’t mind drafting an edge guy in the first and him in the second. Look at how the eagles front four dominates games. Not sure how likely that is though since we have many needs.

I do think that even if lynch is kept around, we grab a rb second or third round at the latest. Only have lynch for one more year if we decide to keep him. Maybe we will get more clarity on his status in the coming weeks. I’m going to have a hard time being patient waiting for free agency and the draft.

part of me wants the Raiders to load up on defense this draft to get it closer to the being as good as offense...I mean on offense we hired Jon Gruden as the new mastermind, a franchise qb, signed a good te last free agency, invest so much money on the oline, Cooper and Crabtree should bounce back, Lynch is a borderline hall of famer.. maybe add talent in day 3 or vets... but just say an all defensive draft

R1: Payne DT or Vea DT

R2: Andrew Brown, Dorrance Armstrong,  Rasheem Green, Mcintosh DE/DT

R3: JC Jackson Kevin Tolliver Jair Alexander DJ Reed CB

Suddenly our defensive line would be young and loaded not just undrafted guys

DE: Mack (1st)

DT: Edwards(2nd)

NT: Vea (1st)

DE: Armstrong(2nd)

WLB:  James/Morrow

MLB: Bowman(1st)

SLB: Irvin (1st)

CB: Amerson, Conely (1st), Jackson/Tolliver (3rd), Carrie/free agent

FS: Joseph (1st)

SS: Obi (2nd)

that defense would have talent on paper, and would be fast with potential

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

MEJ, Ward, Vanderdoes are all young early draft picks. Just saying. The Dline is full of young guys now who are underperforming.

People don't realize we've used a little early picks on defense under McKenzie. Either it was coaching and scheme which i think was issue or all busts. some were

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

MEJ, Ward, Vanderdoes are all young early draft picks. Just saying. The Dline is full of young guys now who are underperforming.

Which could give this D a huge boost with good coaching IMO. Add Conley, Obi and an improved Karl to the secondary...

We might have a solid D roster (before FA and draft), but we can't see it because of JDR and Norton...

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Which could give this D a huge boost with good coaching IMO. Add Conley, Obi and an improved Karl to the secondary...

We might have a solid D roster (before FA and draft), but we can't see it because of JDR and Norton...

Will be interesting to see them in Guenther's system. I would have hoped they flashed something at this point in any scheme. 

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Will be interesting to see them in Guenther's system. I would have hoped they flashed something at this point in any scheme. 

To be fair MEJ flashed in his rookie season. Joseph flashed earlier this season as well. I think that they could be good if they are put in positions to succeed. 

It will be really interesting to see where they want to use Edwards and Ward along the line.

Both of them could be used at 3tech or LDE IMO...

Right now I would go with Edwards at DT/3tech at or around 280-285 and would go with Ward at LDE at or around 285-280...

Edwards can take on OG's and even double teams against the run with his power and aggression, while Ward could benefit from the 1 gap system on the EDGE...I think he has the athleticism and the power to contain his side against the run and also to move RT's or especially TE's backwards when rushing the passer...

I could see a Ward-NT-Edwards-Mack DL with Irvin-Bowman-Morrow as LB's in base...then Mack-Edwards-Hester-Irvin at DL with Bowman and Morrow as LB in nickel.

That only for the start of offseason, OTA's...NT being Ellis if he is brought back or Latham untill we pick up a veteran...maybe just a guy like Pat Sims if we wnat to get our NT via draft...

13 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Any mid round H/W/S cornerbacks to look out for? 

Some of these guys will be risers and may go earlier but as of now....Holton Hill (day 2), Tarvarus McFadden (day 2), JC Jackson (early day 3), Kevin Tolliver (early day 3), and Davontae Harris(day 3). 

Love watching Hill, great size and a good player in the run game. He's gonna be a riser for sure. JC Jackson has some question marks but the talent is undeniable. 

Archived