2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

We have a 11 total picks going into the draft, which sounds awesome, just too bad 7 of them are for the 6th rd and down...we'll see what happens.

My quick wish list...and it's not all that in depth.

1st rd - I'd be happy with Derwin, Vea, Smith or Edmonds - we need another blue chip defender and all 3 levels could use help 

2nd rd - Best all around RB (personally I want Penny) - it's time to find our do it all workhorse. I'd be all for a commitee of 3 strong backs but I'd take one good back than shuffling bodies trying to find that perfect blend.  All the best teams this year either had a 3 headed monster where all 3 were good enough to start individually or a true stud like the Steelers, Jags, Rams, etc...I'm not sure I trust Reggie to put a solid commitee together so give me the best all around back left on the board.  And the QB's best friend next to a great oline is a strong run game.

3rd - 7th  DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE....and in case the team isn't sure what to do, how about some more DEFENSE.  

It would be nice to find 1 or 2 late round gem wr's but that's where scouting comes in.

I would have said future LT but 2 things...I don't trust Reggie to find that guy based on the lineman he's missed on besides Gabe and not sure who that guy is in this draft.

Alex Cappa, from Dublin and Humbolt State, looks pretty good in the mid rounds for T/G depth. Desmond Harrison is probably a round or two earlier, but also played locally for some time playing in Richmond for community college and looks like an athletic mauler at tackle. I'd like either or both for the Raiders like round 3 and round 5 or the like. Another small school guy in the mid round range potentially I came across was Martez Carter the RB from Grambling State. He has great jump cuts and balance from the looks of it and worth a look. Team these prospects with my earlier like of Anthony Miller the WR from Memphis and I'd love to address the offense in this draft.

1. Tremaine Edmunds, LB Virginia Tech
2. Anthony Miller, WR Memphis
3. Desmond Harrison, LT West Georgia
4. Alex Cappa, T/G Humbolt State
5. Martez Carter, RB Grambling State
6. Nik Needham, CB UTEP

Wouldn't need to hit all these smaller school guys, but this is how I'd lay them out as a one per round. I like each of them.

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

What's everybody thinking about Joshua Jackson (DB, Iowa)?  8 picks, 18 passes defensed.  Pretty good season right?

Combine testing will be big for him. Like Desmond King before him (he's better than King), he primarily played zone  in Iowa's scheme which limits how much we know about his raw athleticism. That said, at the very least he's a phenomenal zone corner who could also play safety.

14 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Combine testing will be big for him. Like Desmond King before him (he's better than King), he primarily played zone  in Iowa's scheme which limits how much we know about his raw athleticism. That said, at the very least he's a phenomenal zone corner who could also play safety.

Since PG will want man CB's I think he could be off from our list tho...

9 hours ago, Rolni said:

Since PG will want man CB's I think he could be off from our list tho...

Agreed. I was thinking he would be exactly what we would be looking for in Cover 3 had we been continuing with that, but if we are going to play more man, Ward is your guy.

I really wish the Raiders would acquire a 4th round pick or an extra 3rd this year. The more I watch, the more I'd be not surprised if this draft's best corner came from the 3rd-5th round. I'm typically higher on ideal sized (5'11"-6'2") corners and a few stand out to me this year:

Isaac Yiadom: Ideal size and reportedly will run in the low 4.4s. Already a sound technician and instincts to play zone. Doesn't get stuck on blocks and makes plays consistently against the run. His main issue is he doesn't come up with as many interceptions as he should. Honestly, I don't know why he isn't in first, or at least second, round consideration.

Brandon Facyson: 6'2" with length, size, and polish. He was part of a corner rotation at VTech but he was the best on in my eyes. Similar to Yiadom in his discipline in man coverage and zone. Speed might be an issue.

Anthony Averett: Probably the biggest name of this group as he was Alabama's CB1 for the 2017 college season. What he lacks in length and size, he makes up in speed, technique, and aggression. 

Christian Campbell: Ideal build and athleticism. He's not quite as polished as the guys listed above him, but what he doesn't posses as a technician can be taught. He can be overly hands-ey as many collegiate corners are.

J.C. Jackson: Rocked up build for a corner with elite speed. He's a pure man coverage guy who has great recovery speed. He does show lack at catch point and I don't think he has great instincts or errors in zone coverage.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Great player. Rock on UGA's Oline.  But no need for a top end G on this roster. He will make some team very happy.

I kinda hate that possibly the biggest strength of this team is interior OL. This seems to be an outstanding G class at the top. (Nelson, Hernandez, Wynn) Don't get me wrong, I really like the guys already in Oakland, and don't want to replace them, but those three players are some of the better prospects in the class.

Maurice Hurst was graded as the top player in all of college according to PFF.  Maybe a good pick for the Raiders at 9-10?  I don't follow a lot of college, I just noticed that not many people are talking about him even though he received such a high grade from PFF.  I know a lot of people think PFF is garbage, but I'd still like to know what people think about him.

Archived