2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Only 1 of those first 4 were actually worth counting on. 

Eluemenor might have been surprising as a back-up swing tackle, but he sucked at LG and getting a 4th for him was robbery.  Senat barely ever played and was always just a developmental OT - we can easily draft another in the 5th round or later and probably end up with the same product.  Hurst was overpaid, inconsistent and wasn't even going to be available for a minimum of 25% of the season.

OL is certainly a pretty big need for this roster, but the timing and the way you wrote this almost sounds like Hurst is the straw that broke the camel's back, and that is definitely not the case

Guess the straw is simply related to the numbers game. With Hurst and Yanda gone, we are simply low on numbers now.

In 2 months, we might have added Kelechi Osemele for the LG spot, Bozeman/Mekari will battle it out for the OC spot, Powers/rookie will have a battle for the RG spot and we will have a tackle from the draft as well. 

Or we could add a Josh Jones late in the 1. round who could work as a guard/tackle player

31 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I don't know how you got that from what I wrote lol. I was just stating the reality- which you acknowledge, that we need a lot of help at OL. We lost depth and impact at the position, and one of the remaining pieces(Skura) can't be viewed the same as of now. 

We need some help, not "a lot".

Far too many people seem to have the unreasonable expectation that an OL should be like the Dallas one of 3 or so years ago where everyone was a Pro Bowler.  I know everyone loves to take a dump on Bozeman, but he's a solid B player that doesn't need to be upgraded (would it be nice to upgrade from him? Sure, but its not necessarily at the cost of other needs). 

When you factor in Stanley, Zeus Jr, Mekari and Powers on top of Bozeman, one IOL pick in the first 3 rounds (be that Biadasz, Ruiz, Cushenberry, Harris, Muti, Hunt, Hennessy etc) and potentially another later in the draft (late 4th or after) is enough imo.  Plus there is the possibility of picking up another cheap vet as depth like we have with Andre Smith

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Far too many people seem to have the unreasonable expectation that an OL should be like the Dallas one of 3 or so years ago where everyone was a Pro Bowler.  I know everyone loves to take a dump on Bozeman, but he's a solid B player that doesn't need to be upgraded (would it be nice to upgrade from him? Sure, but its not necessarily at the cost of other needs). 

When you factor in Stanley, Zeus Jr, Mekari and Powers on top of Bozeman, one IOL pick in the first 3 rounds (be that Biadasz, Ruiz, Cushenberry, Harris, Muti, Hunt, Hennessy etc) and potentially another later in the draft (late 4th or after) is enough imo.  Plus there is the possibility of picking up another cheap vet as depth like we have with Andre Smith

Not everyone on your team is going to be an all-star... and that's okay!

We could reasonably open the year with a lineup of only returning players and I would be able to live with it (Stanley-Bozeman-Skura/Mekari-Powers-Brown).

Obviously they need depth and can look to improve further, but it's not some house on fire as it stands.

• Like 3

Once our oline goes from one of the best in the league to average, and we can't run the ball like we want to, we can't convert 4th and short and we can't stop pressure up the middle, then people will wonder what happened and complain.

Underestimating the importance of talent on the oline is stupid, everyone should know that by know. We can hope, that Bozeman, Mekari and Powers can do a good job, but do we really want to take that chance?

I don't want another 2013 season with a Gino Gradkowski starter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

Once our oline goes from one of the best in the league to average, and we can't run the ball like we want to, we can't convert 4th and short and we can't stop pressure up the middle, then people will wonder what happened and complain.

Underestimating the importance of talent on the oline is stupid, everyone should know that by know. We can hope, that Bozeman, Mekari and Powers can do a good job, but do we really want to take that chance?

I don't want another 2013 season with a Gino Gradkowski starter.

This x100. The main reason we’ve lost our last two playoff games is our OL (Imo)

For what it's worth with the new CBA teams are required to have 8 offensive linemen active on gameday. Right now the Ravens have four of them that are guaranteed to be in that group with Stanley, Brown, Bozeman, and Mekari. Powers is probably going to be in there too so that's 5. If Smith makes the final roster that's 6. So two quality additions are actually a must. And I would prefer three with an upgrade coming over Andre. Then there's this:

So maybe Skura is a factor this year. Then we're back down to two - still significant. I don't mind investing quality assets in just those two spots alone. There are other needs on the team to be sure, but I don't want to go with the "good enough" mantra along the offensive line. Keeping Jackson clean is paramount. There is no higher calling for the Ravens. He is the team, and needs as much protection as possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Guy's, we're 6 hours into the new league year. Let's trust the process a little here. 

I’m not panicking or anything. Just stating where I think we should focus. 

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Yanda can't be viewed as a 1:1 situation. The overall talent and quality of the line will dip considerably with him gone. It not only hurts RG, but C and RT as well. We funneled a lot of our game through him, and his impact was layered.

Skura has become a question mark. Bozeman is a passable talent, Mekari is promising, and Powers is completely unproven. Stanley and OBJ are great young talents, but Andre Smith is the only presumptive backup Tackle on the roster. Depth and Impact are needs as things currently stand, we can all acknowledge that.

You didn't need to stretch the discussion to include people's misconceptions about building up an OL. No one is implying that we should strive for a perfect line. 

An early(1-3) and late(4/5-7) round pick invested at OL is fine with me. As is some veteran pick ups. 

1 minute ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Guy's, we're 12 hours into the new league year. Let's trust the process a little here. 

We trust the process. Its just more of a discussion about preferences on this board where we value positions different. Some sees an opportunity to go get a superior wide receiver talent if we want to trade up, and I for example would rather have us trading up for a superior oline talent.

We could very well add an oline in FA and then another later in the draft and we are set at oline from a numbers standpoint. I just think there is a greater value in adding Tristan Wirff instead of Jerry Jeudy as I believe winning up front is a better key to success than having more skill players.

Just to add. We suddenly see the Colts being a contender after they build a strong oline, Titans got a lot better once their oline got better last season. Goff did well in the system with a great oline but him and the system completely faltered once the oline wasn't great. 

Year after year we see teams with great talent at the skill positions but with little succes because the oline can't play well enough. Its the heart the offense runs through.

Even though he was suspended the first 4 games, I would’ve kept Hurst.

Think there was value in keeping a guy who could have honestly played 3 positions on the Oline at least decently in a pinch. 

Oh well, better be getting some Olinemen in the draft or FA