Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

51 minutes ago, eh3034 said:

This rumor just keeps hanging around.  It makes no sense to me to use the 4th pick on OL when OL is the only position of true strength on the roster.  Drafting Ekwonu means they either have to trade someone good, or bench someone good, all while starting lower caliber players at several other positions.  This rumor has been hanging around too long to ignore, but man I just don't get it at all.

Isn't it looking rough for Becton?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Humorously enough, I think the ideal trade partner for the panthers would be the Saints if the latter really wants a left tackle. 

Vikings would also be a good trade partner for the Panthers at 12. It is Kwesi's first draft so we aren't sure what his tendencies are, but the Vikings should be looking at corners and there is a good chance only one of the Gardner/Stingley pair is available at 6 with the Giants looking to pounce at 7.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Techbert said:

Just want to get this in writing.

Falcs picking Drake London when they have Kyle Pitts would be the most Matt Millen thing since Matt Millen.

You don’t have to worry about that. As much as London would fit what the Falcons need at the WR position. Unless Walker, Johnson, Thibs, Sauce, Hutch, Ikey are all gone, then that would open the door. 

2 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

This doesn't get appreciated as much as it should be.  The job of a lot of these guys is to report and relay what they're hearing from sources that have been at least nominally trustworthy in the past (at least enough for the reporter to be able to affect proper CYA ability with regard to the story), but just because it comes from a "source" doesn't make it gospel.

That's why I appreciate the guys who are willing to stand on "this is what my source is telling me," and don't get so adamant as to insist "this is what's going to happen" as opposed to "this is what I'm hearing is likely/likeliest."  That's why I always have such a go at Matt Miller because the dude allows his ego to affect things and, from what I've observed, has such a high opinion of himself that he believes his sources hold him in such high regard that they wouldn't feed him anything but gospel truth.  It's a really dangerous osmosis that very easily leads to mistruths.

I do feel that there should be some accountability though.  For example, the guy from PFF that started the nonsense that the 49ers had an offer this offseason of two 2nd round picks for JimmyG.  Either the guy that started this rumor needs to be fired for making up nonsense, or the 49ers GM needs to be fired if true, there's no middle ground in something like that lol!

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Which one of them is that has been saying that the Lions are leaning towards Drake London at 2? Because that's wild to me

Walter had him #2 overall to Detroit for a VERY long time.  I kept checking back for comic relief to find out when he would finally come off of that idea, and it wasn't as long ago as it should've been.  He touts himself about how accurate his mock drafts are every year, and sure his final one is often as solid as anyone else, but he shouldn't get away with having mock drafts in late March with Drake London going #2, having Punter rankings 2 days before the draft that omit Araiza despite user comments on his own site dating back 2 months asking why he's not listed, and having Watson go from unranked WR,not even listed as a UDFA, to suddenly #6.  I mean, I admit that something similar to the Watson thing happened to me with Cam Jurgens, but NFL draft is my hobby, not my career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Gut has told me for awhile the Falcons will trade back into the 1st round for whoever it is they're high on. Recent buzz is Corral, but that could very well just be smokescreen. They've spent time with Willis, Ridder, Corral, Pickett, and Howell. Everybody is in play. Willis at 8 wouldn't surprise me one bit. 

9 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Gut has told me for awhile the Falcons will trade back into the 1st round for whoever it is they're high on. Recent buzz is Corral, but that could very well just be smokescreen. They've spent time with Willis, Ridder, Corral, Pickett, and Howell. Everybody is in play. Willis at 8 wouldn't surprise me one bit. 

Teams don't normally mess around with QBs. If there is a guy they like, they will normally go and get them. Since 2016, there have been 23 first round QBs selected. Of those 23, 21 were either selected with a top-6 pick originally held by the team that drafted them or traded up for. In a lot of cases, they were selected in the top-6 and traded up for. The only 2 first round QBs since 2016 not traded up for and not drafted top-6 were Mac Jones and Dwayne Haskins.

If the Falcons want a QB, they will most likely either move up to get their pick of the litter, or move back into the first like you mentioned to get one of the last remaining guys. If I had to guess, I'd guess the go the latter route.

1 hour ago, eh3034 said:

I do feel that there should be some accountability though.  For example, the guy from PFF that started the nonsense that the 49ers had an offer this offseason of two 2nd round picks for JimmyG.  Either the guy that started this rumor needs to be fired for making up nonsense, or the 49ers GM needs to be fired if true, there's no middle ground in something like that lol!

To a degree, maybe.  But this is sports, not world politics or the like, people need to stop conflating their "need" to know every bit of information with a "right" to know.  The individuals that have the actual right to know (the stakeholders in the particular piece of news) already do know, or if they don't they can get that information with a phone call.  The general public has no actual right to know.

The guy at PFF (I'm not sure who you're referring to) could/may be held accountable, however the only folks he's actually accountable to are PFF, who ultimately will weigh how much exposure what he did gave to their site, their programming, and their advertisers and make a cost/benefit analysis as any business would.  Only if an individual (and to my knowledge the only sort of individual that would have a legally-defensible case for this sort of thing would be the player in question - or in this case Jimmy G) could demonstrate actual harm (financial or otherwise) to himself by the false report - and even then they would have a heavy burden of proof that would likely require other outlets running with this individuals story to the point of widespread AND irrefutable proof that no such reasonable conclusion could have been made from any discussions between the Niners and another team regarding Jimmy - there are no grounds to substantiate he should be held responsible.

People need to stop suspending their own responsibility to be skeptical of information presented to them until it can actually be verified.  No one is twisting anyone's arm to believe any individual report; people tend to gravitate that way (and make the choice to believe) after it becomes the consensus opinion by a number of reports.  But the consumer of media isn't blameless and should stop acting like they are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eh3034 said:

I mean, that rumor might have basis in truth even if I don't personally think it does.  Washington could have been the team offering 2 SRPs for Jimmy G, but the 49ers were holding out for a FRP and Washington pivoted to Carson Wentz.