Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

They let go of Snacks recently, and Robinson got signed away. Who even are their tackles right now?

I had to look it up: Frank Herron and John Atkins are the 2 starting DTs according to their depth chart. They also have no backups behind those guys.

They signed Danny Shelton and Nick Williams.  Obviously not players that are going to change your draft plans just saying 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I don't know if I'm in the minority and I know the media narrative usually pitches it the other way around, but they absolutely should be considering a trade down if those offers are good. No 2nd round pick, a bunch of holes to fill and the BPA plays at a position of strength. 

Yeah, maybe if we get an RGIII type haul, but I think there is almost no chance that happens.

A. If you look a bit deeper, it's really not all that much of a strength.  We were last in the league on 3rd downs last year, and Week 1 against the Eagles provides a representative glimpse into why that was the case.  Wentz converted two 3rd and 10s from around midfield into touchdowns and another 3rd and long into a huge 1st down after we were up 17-0.  The pass rush just couldn't get to the QB in 3 seconds or less.  That doesn't happen with Chase Young on the field.  We have a significant need for a speed rusher.

We ranked 25th in pass rush win rate last year, which measures beating your blocker in 2.5 seconds or less:

B. Kerrigan is almost 32 years old and on the last year of his deal.  Ryan Anderson is a FA next year as well.  The only starting-caliber EDGE we have slated to be on the 2021 roster is Sweat.

C. Rivera is rightfully looking for extremely high impact players, not just a bunch of picks.  I'd rather go BPA and look towards 2021 as the beginning of our window rather than trying to fill a bunch of perceived holes this year.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

- The hype around DK metcalf was unreal, and whilst most of us were more realistic than your average social media hack/fan - most still had him in 1st round

He still should've gone in the 1st round. He proved that.

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

What happened to all the Javon Kinlaw hype? He was named being neck and neck with Brown at one point after a great Senior bowl in that Aaron Donald mold. I see him still getting in the top 15 potentially. Would love to see top 10. 

Injury flags

56 minutes ago, football guy said:

and to this point I think we see more Ferrell’s this year than we’re currently anticipating. Some out of the blue player is going to go in the top 10, and a lot of random picks near the end of round 1

I don’t really see that happening only because I think the players between 4-15 are so closely rated.  Would it really be a shock if one of the wr’s ends up going 4th or 5th? Kinlaw seems to fall in a lot of mocks yet everyone seems to consider him a top 10 talent. Anyone of the OTs going 4th wouldn’t really be a surprise.  I suppose someone falling in love with Chaison or one of Murray or Queen would be a Ferral like moment but I don’t think anyone rated in your typical top 12-15 going as high as 4 or 5 is even a shocker this year.

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, maybe if we get an RGIII type haul, but I think there is almost no chance that happens.

A. If you look a bit deeper, it's really not all that much of a strength.  We were last in the league on 3rd downs last year, and Week 1 against the Eagles provides a representative glimpse into why that was the case.  Wentz converted two 3rd and 10s from around midfield into touchdowns and another 3rd and long into a huge 1st down after we were up 17-0.  The pass rush just couldn't get to the QB in 3 seconds or less.  That doesn't happen with Chase Young on the field.  We have a significant need for a speed rusher.

We ranked 25th in pass rush win rate last year, which measures beating your blocker in 2.5 seconds or less:

B. Kerrigan is almost 32 years old and on the last year of his deal.  Ryan Anderson is a FA next year as well.  The only starting-caliber EDGE we have slated to be on the 2021 roster is Sweat.

C. Rivera is rightfully looking for extremely high impact players, not just a bunch of picks.  I'd rather go BPA and look towards 2021 as the beginning of our window rather than trying to fill a bunch of perceived holes this year.

Good post. 

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to look at it, but as a general advocate for trading back I'm not really convinced by Rivera's quote here. Because the likelihood is it's not Chase Young versus a just a bunch of picks, it's moving down perhaps a few spots - still landing a premier talent and having the capital to get much-needed contributors elsewhere.  At what point does the latter become more attractive? Never? What would you be looking for? 

• Like 1

If I'm Washington and set on trading back I don't drop below 8 unless i'm getting a 2021 1st from a team I think has a top 5-10 pick next year along with a 2 this year.  Get that premium pick next year, another early day 2 pick this year and still guaranteed one of Young/Okudah/Simmons/Thomas/Wirfs/Brown as long as 1 QB goes in that range.

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Good post. 

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to look at it, but as a general advocate for trading back I'm not really convinced by Rivera's quote here. Because the likelihood is it's not Chase Young versus a just a bunch of picks, it's moving down perhaps a few spots - still landing a premier talent and having the capital to get much-needed contributors elsewhere.  At what point does the latter become more attractive? Never? What would you be looking for? 

The calculus for me would be:

How much higher do you have Chase Young graded than the prospect you can draft a few spots later?  I understand it would still be a premier talent, but that wouldn't matter to me if I'm giving up the chance to draft a JJ Watt to draft Ryan Kerrigan and Jarvis Jenkins (which actually happened).  Or giving up a chance to draft Demarcus Lawrence by trading back with the Cowboys (smh) and drafting Trent Murphy and Spencer Long.  As you can see, the Redskins have done this drill before and come to regret it.

Even if we traded back and ended up with a couple of fringe pro-bowlers and a solid starter (which is highly unlikely), while Young became a perennial All-Pro, I would still hate the trade.  If you grade Young significantly higher than the next tier of prospects, it would take at least two 1sts this year, a 2nd this year and a 1st next year to get me to move off my spot, especially since your trading parter is likely trading up for a QB.

• Like 1

Jedrick Wills is now the likeliest tackle to be taken first according to my betting site. 

Those are pretty damn good odds on Thomas considering the hype he’s been getting over this last week.

Wills -125

Wirfs +100

Thomas +700

Becton +1000

Is NYG set on taking a right tackle (like Wirfs or Wills) over a left tackle? Does Nate Solder’s age (32) and efficacy mean Thomas could be in play as his eventual replacement?

• Like 1