2020 Titans Off-Season

KingTitan

After everything we went through for about the past decade and the season we just had, I feel for the first time since the early 00s, Titans fans have every right to be confident (maybe even slightly overconfident) in the team.

We have flaws, yes, but so do other teams. I'm siding with @Titan89 here where I feel we're right there with every team in the AFC outside of KC (and last year showed we can beat them on the right Sunday). 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, TitanSlim said:

After everything we went through for about the past decade and the season we just had, I feel for the first time since the early 00s, Titans fans have every right to be confident (maybe even slightly overconfident) in the team.

We have flaws, yes, but so do other teams. I'm siding with @Titan89 here where I feel we're right there with every team in the AFC outside of KC (and last year showed we can beat them on the right Sunday). 

I agree with this take. I'll be the first to say that I was not a Mike Vrabel fan when we hired him, but boy: Dude has won me over. The team feels like it's maximized -- always. I never feel like the Titans don't have a chance to win. I don't think we're all the way there yet. I think the team definitely gelled toward the end of the year, got hot at the right time, etc, and despite the winning football Ryan Tannehill played, I still wonder how much of that we are going to see this season. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, TitanSlim said:

This 10x over.

We should be proud fans of this team because for the first time in awhile we are a consistent threat to any team. Yes I would hope we can improve on 9-7 this coming season but last season showed your regular season record does not necessarily matter in the playoffs.

I believe in this team and you should all too. We have turned the corner I firmly believe that and it is going to take an epic collapse for me to not look with optimism at this team's chances. Look at everything we have:

• Best pure rushing RB in the NFL who won the rushing title last season
  • QB who played like an Elite top tier QB last season
  • Finally a true young stud WR in AJ Brown and two other very strong WRs in Davis and Humphries
  • Jonnu Smith who is a deadly weapon coming into his own and a TE corp that compliments each other well.
  • Offensive line is one of the best run blocking and solid overall
  • Arguably a top 5-10 secondary in the league overall. IMO the best safety in football in Byard and one of the better young CBs in Jackson. Butler also was having a strong season before he got hurt. Fulton is a premium talent too and Hooker I believe will be better known soon.
  • One of the top young LB pairings in Evans and Jayon Brown not to mention a promising young player behind them in David Long
  • Deep group of OLBs with potential. Not necessarily a premier pass rusher but overall a solid group with Landry and Beasley having big potential still. Walker could be intriguing, Correa was solid and Roberson impressed me with his limited reps.
  • D line has a true young up and coming star in Simmons potentially
  • Best punter in football

That is an extensive list and not to mention has critical elements to being a great team. The elements of this team you could argue are not as strong are D line after losing Casey (though being honest Casey was not the same last year but still sucks losing him) OL losing Conklin (though I believe Wilson will be as good or better in the nearish future) and maybe WR depth. The D line could be easily addressed if Clowney is signed as we use more LBs in base anyways. Kelly is a solid player who can hold the fort until Wilson is ready and we got some young WRs battling with some potential. Also hopefully either Joseph or Mccann is the answer at kicker as kicking hurt us big time last year.

If you take away the team name and look at the roster objectively based on recent performance, you have to like what you see. Just because it happens to be the Tennessee Titans doesn't make it any less impressive. Pound for pound I believe this team can hang with any team in the NFL.

Be proud Titan fans we got a great team and it is okay to believe in it.

Edited by Titan89
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

You'll have to pardon my agnosticism toward our football team. It's been a long 17 years xD

Oh I am right there with you believe me have been a fan just as long.

I still have my concerns (mainly it's around Tannehill and how he does this year considering the money we invested) but all teams have questions for the most part.

This is the best the Titans have looked to me since the Kerry Collins Haynesworth days and those days it was the defense carrying.

Edited by Titan89
  • Like 2

i'd feel a lot more comfortable about our team if we didn't have such a huge question mark with the pass rush. the rest of the roster is very strong, but if we don't see major improvement there it's going to continue to hamstring us anytime we play a good QB.

13 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i'd feel a lot more comfortable about our team if we didn't have such a huge question mark with the pass rush. the rest of the roster is very strong, but if we don't see major improvement there it's going to continue to hamstring us anytime we play a good QB.

Honestly, I think we presumptively have a significantly improved pass rush.  Let's just look at our top Edges from last season vs. projected this season:

2019: Landry, Correa, Roberson, Wake, Finch.

2020: Landry, Beasley, Correa, Walker, Roberson

I think it's pretty fair to expect D'Andre Walker to be our fourth with a couple of sacks.  Everyone thought we stole him in the fifth round in 2019, and he had 13 sacks, 24.5 TFLs, and 16 QB hurries in his junior and senior seasons.  Considering we drafted him over Roberson, and how touted he was as a prospect (and the fact that Robinson kicks *** in the draft), it's reasonable to expect him to outperform Roberson.

So, unless someone regresses drastically (and I think yall are sleeping on Beasley), we now have four pass rushers that should be in front of our third from last season.  That gives us better depth, and since Beasley is probably around the level of Landry, it immediately gives us someone just as good as our top guy.  That's a sizable improvement.  I mean, just breaking down numbers from last year, we go up by 8.5 sacks from our top 5, if you put Walker's numbers between Correa and Roberson's from last season.

If Clowney signs, our EDGE group just looks ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Honestly, I think we presumptively have a significantly improved pass rush.  Let's just look at our top Edges from last season vs. projected this season:

2019: Landry, Correa, Roberson, Wake, Finch.

2020: Landry, Beasley, Correa, Walker, Roberson

I think it's pretty fair to expect D'Andre Walker to be our fourth with a couple of sacks.  Everyone thought we stole him in the fifth round in 2019, and he had 13 sacks, 24.5 TFLs, and 16 QB hurries in his junior and senior seasons.  Considering we drafted him over Roberson, and how touted he was as a prospect (and the fact that Robinson kicks *** in the draft), it's reasonable to expect him to outperform Roberson.

So, unless someone regresses drastically (and I think yall are sleeping on Beasley), we now have four pass rushers that should be in front of our third from last season.  That gives us better depth, and since Beasley is probably around the level of Landry, it immediately gives us someone just as good as our top guy.  That's a sizable improvement.  I mean, just breaking down numbers from last year, we go up by 8.5 sacks from our top 5, if you put Walker's numbers between Correa and Roberson's from last season.

If Clowney signs, our EDGE group just looks ridiculous.

Again we have no interior pass rush when you play against the good QB’s you need interior rushers. 

1 minute ago, TitanRedd said:

Again we have no interior pass rush when you play against the good QB’s you need interior rushers. 

Oh if we're talking about interior, then yeah, we took a big step back.  We were pretty good there, but our weakness from last season was edge rush specifically, not pass rush from elsewhere.

18 hours ago, -Hope- said:

I am a Clowney signing away from being all-in.

• Like 1