2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kind of agree, how much more recovery time can you get?

Totally agree.  The 1st 4 games of the season pretty much sucks due to preseason games where starters don't play.  Then there's this padded practice rule of only so many per month.  No wonder it takes 8-12 games for many teams to play their best ball.  Even more so for teams that have a new coach/system.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Kind of agree, how much more recovery time can you get?

If they're going to 17 games and getting the playoff bye out of it for 2 teams, there should be a 2nd bye week during the regular season. A #2 seed with a week 4 bye would need to rattle off 16 consecutive games if they wanted to play in the SB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

If they're going to 17 games and getting the playoff bye out of it for 2 teams, there should be a 2nd bye week during the regular season. A #2 seed with a week 4 bye would need to rattle off 16 consecutive games if they wanted to play in the SB.

There should absolutely be two bye weeks in a season if they're going to do this, until recently I just expected that to be what they were doing. Silly not to. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I am a bit surprised they didn't add a second bye week.  The owners wouldn't add any extra stadium revenue, but they would probably add a bit of revenue by having an extra week of shared television revenue.

Seems like a win-win for both players and owners.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm fine with that. I agree completely.

I reject the notion of needing more off-season time off.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm fine with that. I agree completely.

I reject the notion of needing more off-season time off.

Yeah the April-July off-season stretch has very few practices, most of it is strength training and the types of workouts to help with injury prevention, seems counter productive to want to cut that.

I'd be OK with only being 3 preseason games if they bumped back the start of camp a week. There's the compromise.

Though this is all for nothing though, the low-level players are going to pass this deal through.

Average life expectancy for male general population 74, average life expectancy for NFL player's 55. These guy's are trading dollars for 29 years less of life. What contributes to this discrepancy is multiple and while well compensated, you need to be alive to enjoy the money. If I were a player I would demand 50/50 share of revenues and then we will talk about extra games, but maybe I value life more than others.