The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s where analysts and draftniks had them, but no team drafted Jones in rounds 1 or 2 despite several also needing OL starters, so it’s not like Pace was all on his own there either. Reality is that given what happened after we passed on Jones (twice) Pace’s decision not to take him in round 2 IMO is pretty validated even if many thought (or think) it was the wrong one. 

An earlier OL add there would have been ideal but it’s not as though Kmet or Johnson were out of nowhere picks or selections where there wasn’t also a glaring need for a long term starter. We realistically had 3 primary immediate needs (CB, TE and RG), and Pace used our top 2 picks to fill two of them. Would I have taken Kmet there? No. But Pace is not looking to win my approval but rather take the player he thinks is most likely to help us win. As far as 2020 goes Kmet should play a more significant role than an OL who would have likely needed a position switch to compete for 2020 reps.

Had Pace taken Jones instead of Kmet he would have also taken the guy a round before anyone in the league would have - we just wouldn’t have known that nobody else valued Jones that highly because the projections had him higher so it would largely have believed it to be a good value selection.

Plus, let’s not put Nagy and his staff out of the picture here either. They and Pace no doubt collaborated on the draft and on building the offense. Pace acquired Foles but that has obvious Nagy fingerprints. The TE-centric offseason has Nagy fingerprints too. If Nagy felt OL was a bigger need than TE we probably would have drafted OL. We can’t forget that the only way Pace looks good in his job is if Nagy succeeds in his. 

I do not have an issue with the Kmet pick, there was clearly something concerning about Jones and especially Prince that made them fall.

My issue is that the Bears have consistently made poor in house evaluations on the OL. I am not sure I have faith in them to sit back and say the OL is good enough.

The OL in 2018 could not run block at all and in 2019 they were just bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I do not have an issue with the Kmet pick, there was clearly something concerning about Jones and especially Prince that made them fall.

My issue is that the Bears have consistently made poor in house evaluations on the OL. I am not sure I have faith in them to sit back and say the OL is good enough.

The OL in 2018 could not run block at all and in 2019 they were just bad.

I think Prince was just knee issues and he probably needs a redshirt year to get healthy.  Probably like Bars did.   In my mind a healthy Prince is worth a late 3rd round pick.   He played hurt against SEC competition and held his own vast majority of time and looked good a lot of time.   I can easily see him being a starting OT in this league in a few years time if he can get right.  

Not sure about why Jones fell.  

I speculate it's because he has slow feet, but he made most of his blocks.  I have no idea what his 3 cone  or 40 is or whatever.  Maybe he tested bad in some category.  I stopped watching that stuff for OL a while ago. Only test to me that would kind of matter to me is broad jump because it shows explosive potential.  Even the bench is meaningless because it's max reps at a relatively light weight, it favors short arms and barrel chests.   It doesn't measure football power and leverage at all.   I'd like to see a single rep olympic lift to the chest and/or a dead lift with a lot of weight.  To me that would be much more useful for evaluating an OL. As it is,  I just look at height, weight, arm length and how they play.  

He reminds me of Orlando Brown in that he had real good tape and people are over thinking him based on a perceived flaw and projection to next level.   

I think Brown's college tape was better than Jones, but not by a ton.  It was kind of crazy, I think I watched like 4 or 5 Brown games and never saw him miss a block.  Yet he was being bashed as a joke after combine.  Jones missed a few, but he was still really good.  

I thought they were both late first round to second round worthy picks.   Sure they each have flaws, but they can make their blocks which is the bottom line.     

Cardinals said they couldn't believe he was still on board and had a first round grade on him.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tyty said:

If we cut 9 of our 11 tight ends how would we be on cap to sign Larry Warford 

They could theoretically do it now. Shaheen and Braunecker probably will get cut and Robinson probably will get an extension. That only adds onto the cap room. But like @JustAnotherFan pointed out, if Warford gets 8 figures per year that's a tough financial pill to swallow.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1