The 2020 Free Agency Rumblings Thread

WindyCity

14 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Top 50 total pressures in the last 2 years combined. Man, I really wish I had the motivation to compile and format all the run data, man vs zone, etc.

What stands out to me on those two lists is ZaDarius Smith.  Just by watching him this past year on the Packers you could tell he was an impact player for them but this just solidifies it.

Why in the hell did Baltimore let this guy go and why oh why did GB have to sign him? 

I love that we have Mack and believe he is a better player than Smith overall, but this pisses me off knowing that GB got Smith for just money vs us having to trade two 1st's and a big money contract for Mack.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

So pressure doesn't constitute having an impact and only sacks do? Cmon AZ, you're better than this.

See. I don't understand arguments like this at all.

All year, I have heard complaints about Mack, Prince, Smith, EJ, RRh, Fuller, and Floyd. Damn near our entire defense. That's over half of the defensive starters and judging by these opinions, we should have been an average at best defense.

But yet we still had the 8th best defense in the league and 8th best pass defense in the league! 

So someone (or some players) on this team is being vastly underrated.  Either that or Pagano is the best DC in the league and deserves a raise, ASAP.

I never said pressures don’t have an impact. Having an impact and making impact plays are not the same thing. Impact plays as I use it are game changing plays. Some pressures may also be impact plays, but not all pressures are impact plays. Many are entirely inconsequential. 

Free Agents of Interest that the coaching staff has connections to

OT/OG Hala Vaitai

TE Blake Bell

RB Spencer Ware

WR A.J Green

TE Tyler Eifert

S Glayton Geathers

OLB Jabaal Sheard

CB Rashaan Melvin

LB Kentrell Brothers

S Jayron Kearse

OLB Stephen Weatherly

• Like 3

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Assuming this was leading up to the 2019 Draft? 

I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a QB at some point late this year because they just gotta let Mitch know somehow that his job is not safe.

It was posted today? I don't understand what this means. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It was posted today? I don't understand what this means. 

It was posted today but Minshew was referring to the Bears having interest before the 2019 draft. His point is if they had interest in Minshew then, they'll probably have interest in a young QB in this draft also

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It was posted today but Minshew was referring to the Bears having interest before the 2019 draft. His point is if they had interest in Minshew then, they'll probably have interest in a young QB in this draft also

If only they would have drafted him...

8 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any free agents that Chicago is tied to? 

I'd imagine a couple KC guys?

Forgot about this query. Sorry. I have yet to see any real coverage of the Bears interest in...anybody. There was Chris Simms' saying the Bears were going to go after a big offensive weapon, but he didn't say who. And I've seen others say that the Bears have interest in Alex Smith, but as far as I can tell, those folks are simply conjecturing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any free agents that Chicago is tied to? 

I'd imagine a couple KC guys?

Not really tied to anyone right now, honestly... I'm of the opinion we're going to sign a TE in FA but it boils down to how much Hooper and Henry are going to cost.

Some think Ebron might be a fit here

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

Not really tied to anyone right now, honestly... I'm of the opinion we're going to sign a TE in FA but it boils down to how much Hooper and Henry are going to cost.

Some think Ebron might be a fit here

Henry and Hooper are probably to expensive.

With no new CBA the Bears are not in a good place.

The year 1 cap hit for a 4/40 deal has to be 7 million. The year 1 cap hit on a 4/32 deal has to be 5.5.

I think it is more likely they go OL at a lower price point.

** disclaimer ** I had a bit of a draft-crush on Eifert coming out of Notre Dame in 2013

Last season was the first time in his career that he played in all 16 games (yikes). He turns 30 before the start of the 2020 season and should be able to be had for fairly cheap. Eifert also has a connection to Bill Lazor.

Do you roll the dice on him on a one-year deal?

I think I do... shouldn't cost much, he will be motivated, and finishing the 2019 season healthy means he can train in the off-season rather than rehab. Might be a classic low-risk high-reward type of signing. I don't know if I would feel comfortable relying solely on him as a focal point in this offense, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

** disclaimer ** I had a bit of a draft-crush on Eifert coming out of Notre Dame in 2013

Last season was the first time in his career that he played in all 16 games (yikes). He turns 30 before the start of the 2020 season and should be able to be had for fairly cheap. Eifert also has a connection to Bill Lazor.

Do you roll the dice on him on a one-year deal?

I think I do... shouldn't cost much, he will be motivated, and finishing the 2019 season healthy means he can train in the off-season rather than rehab. Might be a classic low-risk high-reward type of signing. I don't know if I would feel comfortable relying solely on him as a focal point in this offense, though.

I definitely wouldn't be mad at it. I had a draft crush on him too and think he brings a lot of versatility when healthy.