I seriously think AB might have brain damage from the NFL

mdonnelly21

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Or he could have the same God complex that derailed Kanye West

Yeah I agree he already did but did you see the video him talking to the Cops. 

It's like he suddenly turned into a Bot, a string was pulled on a Toy got stuck continued speaking until the Batteries ran out. 

I don't see him lasting on a team more than 2 seconds the way he's been acting lately. I mean wow! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"...caution must be used in interpreting the high frequency of CTE in this sample, and estimates of prevalence cannot be concluded or implied from this sample. Second, the VA-BU-CLF brain bank is not representative of the overall population of former players of American football; most players of American football have played only on youth or high school teams, but the majority of the brain bank donors in this study played at the college or professional level.
Additionally, selection into brain banks is associated with dementia status, depression status, marital status, age, sex, race, and education.36
Third, this study lacked a comparison group that is representative of all individuals exposed to American football at the college or professional level, precluding estimation of the risk of participation in football and neuropathological outcomes. "

Yep, there it is. She ultimately did calculate the floor of the prevalence by comparing the sample of NFL players against every player who died during the same timeframe, but that's an obvious underestimation which was used to make people aware that we need a biomarker we can sample in living patients because this is a huge deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I think people are letting AB off too easy.

I'm not seeing anybody letting him off - I'm seeing people looking for a deeper understanding of what's going on and why
A "normal"  person wouldn't behave in this fashion, so the next step is to understand what drives this "not normal" behavior.
If Antonio was using this as an excuse to avoid the consequences of his actions, you might have a point.

But the discussion here hasn't been about excusing, its been about understanding the underlying pathology that leads to his erratic behavior and how that relates to playing football at the highest levels

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm not seeing anybody letting him off - I'm seeing people looking for a deeper understanding of what's going on and why
A "normal"  person wouldn't behave in this fashion, so the next step is to understand what drives this "not normal" behavior.
If Antonio was using this as an excuse to avoid the consequences of his actions, you might have a point.

But the discussion here hasn't been about excusing, its been about understanding the underlying pathology that leads to his erratic behavior and how that relates to playing football at the highest levels

Yeah what I'm saying is that a lot of NFL players suffer massive brain trauma and never go as psychotic as AB has.

My point is that AB probably was never all-there mentally but football made it worse.

Edited by Bolts223

6 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Yeah what I'm saying is that a lot of NFL players suffer massive brain trauma and never go as psychotic as AB has.

You could apply this to tons of things. Plenty of people have experience with drugs like alcohol, opiates, etc. and not all get addicted. Even among those that do, those addictions vary in severity.  The variability in potential impact on life only makes it more critical that we study as much as we can about the causes. That way, we could try and predict populations that would be the most vulnerable. People do the same thing all the time with alcoholism, saying things like "yeah I'm really careful because it runs in my family".

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

My point is that AB probably was never all-there mentally but football made it worse.

Every case is different and will be when it comes to brain trauma. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

I would look at the early career of Brandon Marshall as a barometer. Marshall was diagnosed as bipolar, had some higher level meltdowns in Denver - but then got professional help and carved out a respectable career. Teams still work him out once in a while. 

AB is older than Marshall when Marshall got help, but AB is also more talented than B-Marsh was - so IF AB got a similar diagnosis and treatment, he COULD be back by 2021 (because there is no guarantees when working on issues such as this). Probably wouldn't be able to play at the level we remember him playing at, simply because of his age - but he could play.

Marshall has borderline personality disorder (or BPD) which, while VERY serious, is an entirely different animal than narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), which @sammymvpknight connects Brown with--and not without good cause, I might add. The victims of NPD have a slavish devotion to self-image, are basically amoral, and lack the self awareness to even realize that there is anything wrong with them. I've witnessed NPD first-hand, and it can be almost indescribably ugly. 

I'll add that there is also a chance that Brown could suffer from a disorder that shares quite a few traits with NPD--and that's APD. Anti-social personality disorder. The thing that plagues wonderful folks like gangsters and serial killers. Given a proper life structure, these sorts can veer away from being monsters, at least most of the time. It's when that proper structure falls away that things can get weird. 

• Like 3

I don't think many people who have ever played football for any real length of time walk away without some level of brain damage. Lord knows I got my bell rung on more than one occasion well before CTE was talked about. 

I also know that there are plenty of headcases who made a career out of the game that got by on pure talent while coaches  let them off easy for the sake of winning. I don't think Brown was ever a saint, rather his ego took off once he got paid. 

That being said, brain damage can absolutely explain some of the more bizarre behavior. I just don't want CTE to become the crutch for inappropriate behavior that PTSD has turned into. Both are serious matters, but both have also been taken advantage of. Until he seeks help, I'm not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Marshall has borderline personality disorder (or BPD) which, while VERY serious, is an entirely different animal than narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), which @sammymvpknight connects Brown with--and not without good cause, I might add.

Only reason I referenced Bipolar is because that was in what I was responding to - not necessarily a "diagnosis" on my end.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

This is premature here and also way too close minded. 

Every brain injury is unique. All of them. CTE for example would be a unique injury for every brain and effect every individually differently. 

Pretty sure I have CTE. 11 concussions, 3 inside of 45 days, a traumatic brain injury that took about 3 months to overcome, short term memory loss, slurring my words.

Thing is, I am not a jerk. When a jerk suffers similar, their actions can be exactly like Antonio Brown.

In the end, CTE is an excuse for bad behavior. We have you, me, people we know or love all dealing with mental or physical issues. That is not an excuse to behave like a lunatic.

It seems to me that historically Mr. Brown has been allowed to act out against his teams, teammates, and anyone he chose in real life or social media without real world consequences.

Now the law is involved. Did Aaron Hernandez get a pass for having CTE even after his death? Though Mr. Brown hasn't committed the egregious crime of murder, how much longer does society have to tolerate his lack of control?

• Like 4

On 1/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, BayRaider said:

Every brain injury is unique. All of them. CTE for example would be a unique injury for every brain and effect every individually differently. 

That's not really true. I suppose it is in the aspect that people are individuals, but CTE does have a distinct pattern of outcomes and behaviors. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silver said:

Pretty sure I have CTE. 11 concussions, 3 inside of 45 days, a traumatic brain injury that took about 3 months to overcome, short term memory loss, slurring my words.

Thing is, I am not a jerk. When a jerk suffers similar, their actions can be exactly like Antonio Brown.

In the end, CTE is an excuse for bad behavior. We have you, me, people we know or love all dealing with mental or physical issues. That is not an excuse to behave like a lunatic.

It seems to me that historically Mr. Brown has been allowed to act out against his teams, teammates, and anyone he chose in real life or social media without real world consequences.

Now the law is involved. Did Aaron Hernandez get a pass for having CTE even after his death? Though Mr. Brown hasn't committed the egregious crime of murder, how much longer does society have to tolerate his lack of control?

First, I’m sorry to hear.

The challenge is the post-concussive syndrome diagnosis. It’s not uncommon at for individuals with mild concussions to have significant problems. It’s been my experience that there isn’t a great correlation between headaches, depression, fatigue, and even personality changes, and concussion severity. Even patients with frontal lobe injuries can do much better than some of the mild concussion patients. It speaks to our incomplete understanding of brain injury and there likely being multiple reasons (even outside of the brain injury) for symptom development.

• Like 2