AG20 Mock Offseason V2

AlexGreen#20

21 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I think you can’t go into the draft looking backwards. The factors going into who you draft at a given slot have to be the board and your current needs/talent, regardless of how that situation came about. If your picks at a certain position are consistently not panning out, you need to sort that out in your scouting/personnel department, but the history of your roster shouldn’t have a bearing on picks, just current talent/contracts. 

If you suck that bad at drafting CB’s that you draft one first, for 4 of 5 years, maybe you should make some changes to who scouts them or stop drafting them and go the free agency route and quit wasting your top pick. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 1:07 AM, Cakeshoppe said:

I think you can’t go into the draft looking backwards. The factors going into who you draft at a given slot have to be the board and your current needs/talent, regardless of how that situation came about. If your picks at a certain position are consistently not panning out, you need to sort that out in your scouting/personnel department, but the history of your roster shouldn’t have a bearing on picks, just current talent/contracts. 

I think teams have an idea of how the draft is going to shake out.  Sure, there are going to be the fair share of surprises but they have a pretty good idea of the draft slots for most players.  But I think the argument is that you have to look at the depth of the class, your team needs, etc. when making your picks.  You don't draft simply BPA.  Otherwise, you'd end up walking out of the draft after drafting multiple players at the same position.

I think both the RRH and Jones contracts are really light.  If Jones hits the market I think he's gonna get a lot closer to AD99 money than Grady Jarrett.  

Can't imagine Jones is all that realistic with Clark's contract coming up and last year's free agency spending.  

4 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Tyler Johnson is my current favorite WR relative to value at the moment.  I'm quite surprised he isn't higher on a lot of boards, I think he's an absolute stud. 

I think it will come down to how he tests.  There are a lot of really good WR in this class.  Feels like a 2014 type year where teams can get a really solid WR player in the 2nd.

8 hours ago, SSG said:

I think both the RRH and Jones contracts are really light.  If Jones hits the market I think he's gonna get a lot closer to AD99 money than Grady Jarrett.  

Can't imagine Jones is all that realistic with Clark's contract coming up and last year's free agency spending.  

We have probably another 2-4 year window with Rodgers, it's probably ok to back-load some of these contracts. Now's the time to load up.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

We have probably another 2-4 year window with Rodgers, it's probably ok to back-load some of these contracts. Now's the time to load up.

Every year someone talks about going all-in (or words to that effect). This hasn't been the Packers modus operandi since Ron Wolf was hired at least. While the Packers WILL do stuff like renegotiating Rodgers contract for some relief, they are never going down the all-in route like (for example) Carmen Policy did with the 49ers way back.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 12:42 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Roy Robertson Harris (4/26/4)

Much like Chris Jones, Robertson-Harris fits the physical profile (6'6 290) and he was able to get after the passer this year (2.5 sacks 16 PFR pressures). He's only 26 and he opens up a ton of doors for us for putting 5 genuinely good pressures on a line with Smith-Jones-Clark-Harris-Smith. 

The RFA tenders for 2020 are pegged at $2.1M, $3.3M and $4.7M

Chicago is pretty darn tight on cap. If they go with lowest tender, no draft pick is needed because RRH was a UDFA
If they go with the $ 3.2 M tender, would the Packers consider giving up their late 2nd for him ? That seems steep, but I think RRH would likely be better than any DL picked at # 62 in terms of his 2020 and 2021 contributions on the field, but the cost is higher too.

Here's the contract for the 62nd player drafted in 2019 for comparison

https://overthecap.com/player/andy-isabella/7853/

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

The RFA tenders for 2020 are pegged at $2.1M, $3.3M and $4.7M

Chicago is pretty darn tight on cap. If they go with lowest tender, no draft pick is needed because RRH was a UDFA
If they go with the $ 3.2 M tender, would the Packers consider giving up their late 2nd for him ? That seems steep, but I think RRH would likely be better than any DL picked at # 62 in terms of his 2020 and 2021 contributions on the field, but the cost is higher too.

Here's the contract for the 62nd player drafted in 2019 for comparison

https://overthecap.com/player/andy-isabella/7853/

That'd be a very quick "no". Bears fans were complaining that RRH went AWOL for long stretches late in the season. They may just let him walk though I'd be quick to sign him to a relatively small prove-it contract if that were to happen.