Chargers Officially Move on from Rivers

BayRaider

If he can find a team that has a good line and RB he can still be productive.   He'd be the perfect QB to have start while you groom a younger guy if the price is right.  Tannehill doesn't have a canon and he was very effective for the Titans this season.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Good.  He's always been overrated.  Not necessarily bad or not good, but always rated better than he actually was. 

How is rating him in the top 10 overrating him?  I never remember anyone EVER saying he was better than Peyton, Brady, Brees or Rodgers.  In other years he may have went back and forth with QB's like Big Ben, Wilson, Luck or whoever else might have been playing that had a great season.  Some years he was top 5, but he was pretty much always a top 6-8ish QB. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Good.  He's always been overrated.  Not necessarily bad or not good, but always rated better than he actually was. 

I'm not sure what your perception of his rating is supposed to mean. It would seem that you're happy he's gone because you think he sucks.

Rivers was definitely a great quarterback, and consistent. Which is far more than what most teams get to work with. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, frenchie said:

It was a rough year for sure, but if you look at it, half of his interceptions came against 2 teams; I'm not writing him off just yet.  I think a change of scenery would do him some good.

Unless that change of scenery involves a modified Delorean going back to the year 2015, what good will it do him?

His arm is shot. He struggles driving the ball downfield. Father time has caught up with him. I love Phil, but he's just not the same QB hence LA moving on. They know they have talent to win, but have to get fresher at QB.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

How is rating him in the top 10 overrating him?  I never remember anyone EVER saying he was better than Peyton, Brady, Brees or Rodgers.  In other years he may have went back and forth with QB's like Big Ben, Wilson, Luck or whoever else might have been playing that had a great season.  Some years he was top 5, but he was pretty much always a top 6-8ish QB. 

Agreed. Rivers was ranked 5th majority of his prime from 2007 - 2011 range. And he was ranked in the Top 10 in all rankings most seasons except two or three. 

There were years the “Elite Five” were Brady, Manning, Brees, Favre/Rodgers, and Rivers was comfortably 5th and playing just as well as those guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Can it be official if neither the Chargers or Phil have made a statement about it?

It's not. I suspect both sides are doing everything to gain leverage over the other. Daniel Popper, who covers the Chargers for The Athletic, was one of the few who didn't buy the "news" at the beginning. He did think there was at least a 50% chance Rivers comes back for one more year.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

His arm is shot.  

Rivers this year threw 591 passes; 7th in the league, 2nd most attempts of his career.  Had a 66% completion rate, 9th in the league, 4th best of his career.  Passed for 4615 yards, 4th in the league, 4th most of his career.   Had 57 20+ yard passes, 6th in the league, 7th most of his career.   Had 12 40+ yard plays, 4th in the league, 3rd most of his career.

Not bad for a guy who’s ‘arm is shot’..  and like I said, more than half of those interceptions came in 3 games, so it wasn’t like he was terrible all season.  

And I don’t blame LA for moving on.  He’s up in age, and can no longer carry the team like he had his entire career...  but I do find it laughable that people think someone like Teddy Bridgewater would be an upgrade... 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, frenchie said:

Rivers this year threw 591 passes; 7th in the league, 2nd most attempts of his career.  Had a 66% completion rate, 9th in the league, 4th best of his career.  Passed for 4615 yards, 4th in the league, 4th most of his career.   Had 57 20+ yard passes, 6th in the league, 7th most of his career.   Had 12 40+ yard plays, 4th in the league, 3rd most of his career.

Not bad for a guy who’s ‘arm is shot’..  and like I said, more than half of those interceptions came in 3 games, so it wasn’t like he was terrible all season.  

And I don’t blame LA for moving on.  He’s up in age, and can no longer carry the team like he had his entire career...  but I do find it laughable that people think someone like Teddy Bridgewater would be an upgrade... 

Watching him late in the season, his arm looked shot. Didn't have the same drive on the ball. 

I'm sure he can get the job done, but over a 16 game schedule he's wearing down in the stretch.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Watching him late in the season, his arm looked shot. Didn't have the same drive on the ball. 

I'm sure he can get the job done, but over a 16 game schedule he's wearing down in the stretch.

Playing behind 3rd and 4th string guys who will be selling insurance in a couple years while not being able to step into throws will do that. Not to mention the sheer lack of WR talent behind Allen/Williams. The next highest WR in yardage was Dontrelle Inman with 132yds on 8 catches and only played 4 games. After that... Andre Patton who was 6 for 56yds (17 targets) over 13 games played and 5 games started. 

Rivers got a bad wrap this year, some of it totally his fault, but the team is incredibly top heavy talent wise on offense with little depth. Allen was great with 104 for 1199yds (149 targets), Williams good as well at times with 49 for 1001yds (90 targets), and Ekeler was awesome as a RB with 92 for 993yds (on 108 targets!). Henry did alright but also missed 4 games. Teams figured that out quickly so they could lock down Allen/Williams... add in an anemic rushing "attack" and the porous offensive line... well you have a QB who doesn't look so hot at times. Hell, the team hasn't had an offensive line that ranked better than 26th in pass protection on PFF since like 2014!

I still think Rivers has some good years ahead of him assuming he gets into the right situation. Its sad that Rivers didn't have a chance to really show how good he was/is. I still think if he would have gone to NYG or the Steelers, or any other decently ran team, that he would have had multiple rings by now. Archie unfortunately knew this all along...

• Like 3