General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Unless he's being coy about a potential move, I have to disagree with him. Since the trade, they've focused on keeping their Super Bowl roster together and creating financial flexibility. This is exactly what I was hoping they would do. 

I wish we were in on more bargains, but to be honest ,at this point, I don't know how many bargains there are. Those may be signings that happen further on  down the line still, so probably good we are out of it. The only thing I somewhat lament would be missing out on Hopkins. That's a blow,but no way we could afford the new contract. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wish we were in on more bargains, but to be honest ,at this point, I don't know how many bargains there are. Those may be signings that happen further on  down the line still, so probably good we are out of it. The only thing I somewhat lament would be missing out on Hopkins. That's a blow,but no way we could afford the new contract. 

Can we afford OBJ's contract though????

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Gotta reserve for the draft class so we won't actually have 18 mil in room.

Right. We need about $8 mil for draft class, plus $2-5 mil in leftover space for the regular season. So, we need to keep about $8-15 mil aside for non-FA and trade moves.

I'm hoping they cut Coleman and Nzoecha, which would save $6.4 mil. Then, trade Goodwin for a 6th, and trade Beathard for a 7th. These two trades would save $4.6 mil. Together, with these 4 moves, we would save $11 mil and net two draft picks.

I believe our current cap is around $18 mil now with the McKinnon restructure. If we made those 4 moves that mentioned above, that $11 mil can be set aside for draft and regular-season needs. Our current $18 mil cap space could be used to go after one big signing or a few middle-tier signings.

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Right. We need about $8 mil for draft class, plus $2-5 mil in leftover space for the regular season. So, we need to keep about $8-15 mil aside for non-FA and trade moves.

I'm hoping they cut Coleman and Nzoecha, which would save $6.4 mil. Then, trade Goodwin for a 6th, and trade Beathard for a 7th. These two trades would save $4.6 mil. Together, with these 4 moves, we would save $11 mil and net two draft picks.

I believe our current cap is around $18 mil now with the McKinnon restructure. If we made those 4 moves that mentioned above, that $11 mil can be set aside for draft and regular-season needs. Our current $18 mil cap space could be used to go after one big signing or a few middle-tier signings.

Current cap is more like 9 i believe already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Current cap is more like 9 i believe already.

According to Spotrac, they have us at $10.864 mil. They're also not showing the McKinnon restructure yet, either. McKinnon's cap hit before it was $8.55 mil. If he's now at around $900k, that gives us back around $7.5 mil to the cap, right? I'm not great with this stuff, so I could be wrong. 

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

According to Spotrac, they have us at $10.864 mil. They're also not showing the McKinnon restructure yet, either. McKinnon's cap hit before it was $8.55 mil. If he's now at around $900k, that gives us back around $7.5 mil to the cap, right? I'm not great with this stuff, so I could be wrong. 

No we have basically cut him and then signed him to a league minimum deal. So the savings is like half that. Also they don't have the Garland signing in there which is another 2,25.

Just now, Justone2 said:

No we have basically cut him and then signed him to a league minimum deal. So the savings is like half that. Also they don't have the Garland signing in there which is another 2,25.

Hmm, you're right. They also don't have Blair or Shon Coleman's cap hit in their yet either. Well, crap...

I wanted us to tag and trade Armstead, re-sign Sanders, let Ward walk, extend Buckner.

Instead we re-sign Armstead & Ward, willing to let Sanders walk, and trade Buckner for #13 overall. 

Did almost the complete opposite of what i wanted to do. But i still think our moves can pan out. We can replenish the WR & DL groups with cheap depth, and the WR class is supposed to be deep this year. Not sure about DL, but i imagine we'll spend one of our day 1-2 picks on a DT or DE, maybe both.

Now, if its true that we cut Person and re-signed Compton for the same amount (basically a net gain)...thats a questionable move to me. Unless Compton's reported $3 million contract is a best case with incentives, instead of base pay.

Okay, so remember the discussion about trading #31 for next year's first round pick? Let's say Joey REALLY wants to come here and will make it difficult for the Chargers, getting that additional first rounder could really help us in a trade for Bosa. I'm sure the team isn't thinking that way....or are they???