General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yep, not shocking. Just trying to bring as much of the band back as possible. 

Honestly, the way it should be. Roster had ridiculous depth last season and we needed every bit of it to survive at different parts of the season. Just need to add a few pieces or make a few tweaks and run it back.

• Like 2

Cowherd just said on air he was told that some prominent NFL exec said they heard that the 49ers were at least willing to listen to offers for Jimmy G.

Simms then adds that the team definitely tossed the idea of signing Brady but they weren't going to move on without getting top compensation for Jimmy.

Um, fair to say Jimmy will have to really ball out this season. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Cowherd just said on air he was told that some prominent NFL exec said they heard that the 49ers were at least willing to listen to offers for Jimmy G.

Simms then adds that the team definitely tossed the idea of signing Brady but they weren't going to move on without getting top compensation for Jimmy.

Guys, what if Shanny takes a QB with one of the two 1st rounders????

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Cowherd also gets a lot of stuff wrong. He predicted pretty much every possible destination for Brady including retirement except TB. Not to say many people expected TB as the destination, but he does seem to just throw stuff out and hope it sticks. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't hate it or anything; not really a great spot for one unless you're taking Love at like 13, and that's a bit sketchy. But I'm not as high on Jimmy as most people are on this forum. I think he's largely a competent quarterback and that's great, but I don't know that he's ever a top 5 type guy. Could be wrong though; Matt Ryan had one of those seasons under Shanny, so its possible that he could as well. 

2 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Cowherd also gets a lot of stuff wrong. He predicted pretty much every possible destination for Brady including retirement except TB. Not to say many people expected TB as the destination, but he does seem to just throw stuff out and hope it sticks. 

A lot of smoke there, and far from the only national head talking about this.

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Why not? Can't say i was convinced by Jimmy being more than say around the 15th QB last year.

If he is around 15th best QB, can Shanny get someone at #13 or at #31 better than that? Doubt it. Unless Shanny wants to just roll with a rookie QB on a rookie contract and this way you can stack up in other areas. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't hate it or anything; not really a great spot for one unless you're taking Love at like 13, and that's a bit sketchy. But I'm not as high on Jimmy as most people are on this forum. I think he's largely a competent quarterback and that's great, but I don't know that he's ever a top 5 type guy. Could be wrong though; Matt Ryan had one of those seasons under Shanny, so its possible that he could as well. 

Saw plenty of Love, don't see anything special with him. So best case you are likely getting at best a competent QB. Herbert? Likely gone by our pick and he doesn't look like a guy Shanny would like anyways. I can get behind the theory of pretty much just rolling with rookie QB contracts forever and never paying huge bucks for a QB unless you have a truly elite QB....BUT, Jimmy's deal with the new cap is not going to be that big anyways. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I doubt that happens but you never know.

I honestly believe he can help this team win a ring. He outplayed Homes for most of the game.

We need some home run potential on offense imo.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Saw plenty of Love, don't see anything special with him. So best case you are likely getting at best a competent QB. Herbert? Likely gone by our pick and he doesn't look like a guy Shanny would like anyways. I can get behind the theory of pretty much just rolling with rookie QB contracts forever and never paying huge bucks for a QB unless you have a truly elite QB....BUT, Jimmy's deal with the new cap is not going to be that big anyways. 

And if this was a thought then why not just keep Deforest then?

1 minute ago, DTMW78 said:

I doubt that happens but you never know.

I honestly believe he can help this team win a ring. He outplayed Homes for most of the game.

We need some home run potential on offense imo.

I agree, I doubt that happens this year. This year feels like a win now mentality because we still have a lot of players signed for this run before we need to make drastic changes or signings. 

Yeah, I just don't think it's a great spot at 13. I could kind of see it at 31. 

Honestly, I don't think it's likely because you see teams rarely do that (props to KC), but it's certainly somewhat feasible. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

A lot of smoke there, and far from the only national head talking about this.

If he is around 15th best QB, can Shanny get someone at #13 or at #31 better than that? Doubt it. Unless Shanny wants to just roll with a rookie QB on a rookie contract and this way you can stack up in other areas. 

Maybe i should clarify it. I don't think the moves we have made make it that we will get rid of Jimmy  this offseason. However if you don't think he can make that step to be a top 10 QB you have to look around and consider the options. For this year i am pretty sure Jimmy will be our QB unless we get something crazy for him and get in the range where a guys like Tua is available. If we draft a guy like Love or Herbert or any other it is with the future in mind. We can pretty much trade or cut Jimmy without much of a penalty. If we where 100% commited to him being our QB for more than next year restructuring his contract makes the most sense because we will get 10-15 mil for that.

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

And if this was a thought then why not just keep Deforest then?

Because Shanny didn't get the type of compensation he was looking for Jimmy so he will keep him until he gets what he is looking for? He doesn't just want to get rid of Jimmy I'm sure. 

• Like 1