General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2978395bb7671bfee064

... but seriously what would you suggest as an alternative?

I get most of my NFL News online. Twitter posts via Reddit. If I want more nuanced discussion on certain X and O topics I'll read PFF articles. If it's just to casually chat, then I'll come to a place like here.

NFLN is a television show that is predicated on operating like TMZ/The View. Same with First Take. If you want to get mixed up in that go ahead, but it's not for me. Think about some of the people on those shows. Even with former players involved, they are just there to gossip. They aren't breaking down film for every team 8 hours a day, and they aren't watching every game at full length. You can tell. They, along with most people, operate on limited information. Wouldn't call those people "experts" or even "analysts".

Edited by PapaShogun

31 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

What about Chris Godwin? On the last year of his rookie deal, Bucs/Brady supposedly want AB in TB. We could send 31 for Godwin?

I could see it being Evans rather than Godwin. I would imagine they want to keep their young(er) players intact. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Here's another DT. What about Kawann Short? He has two years left on his contract, Panthers are having a fire sale as well. Maybe 31 for Short + a pick? Just a thought.

Check his cap hit, and they;s have to eat much money. Ridiculous 20 mil per amount; pass. :P 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/kawann-short-12325/

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Here's another DT. What about Kawann Short? He has two years left on his contract, Panthers are having a fire sale as well. Maybe 31 for Short + a pick? Just a thought.

Now that man is GOOD. Complete disruptor. What does his contract situation look like? He is also coming off a big injury so can get him on a solid deal. May need to trade down and then try making an deal for him. #31 for Short and Panthers 3rd? 

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

We are definitely not giving up that much for Short. He's older than Casey, off an injury, has a slightly more expensive contract for fewer years. I like the idea of getting him if we can make the money work, but that is strictly day three pick territory.  

• Like 1

Just now, N4L said:

Not that it makes a huge difference but he would cost us 16m because the 4m signing bonus stays on the books for the Panthers 

Just an FYI

Correct, His hits for us would be 14 & 14.5. That being said, they are slightly underwater on the deal. Not a big issue for them if they are in true tank mode as teams do that all the time, but still. 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Not that it makes a huge difference but he would cost us 16m because the 4m signing bonus stays on the books for the Panthers 

Just an FYI

I understand that, but still... is he worth that much even? No, right? 

I dunno man.. maybe like I said before... cap comprehension has broken my mental calculator... the numbers are getting so crazy.

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

I understand that, but still... is he worth that much even? No, right? 

I dunno man.. maybe like I said before... cap comprehension has broken my mental calculator... the numbers are getting so crazy.

Is his contract great? No. It's okay if you're getting Short from a few years ago, but at 31 years old, I don't know how likely that is.  If you're giving up a 7th round pick for him is it worth it to take a shot? I think it could be. Also, teams can get creative now. Then panthers could eat salary like the Dolphins did with Tannehill last year and maybe get more compensation in return. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Is his contract great? No. It's okay if you're getting Short from a few years ago, but at 31 years old, I don't know how likely that is.  If you're giving up a 7th round pick for him is it worth it to take a shot? I think it could be. Also, teams can get creative now. Then panthers could eat salary like the Dolphins did with Tannehill last year and maybe get more compensation in return. 

Blows me mind, but okay... seems like an odd move for us. Too costly with what we already have (and gave up, bye Buck...

That said, I liked Short as a prospect, and said ALL IN... so if they liked him enough, yoooookay.