Home Buying Help Thread

TOUCAN

21 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, I can go into the office, but my wife can't. We're thinking about listing lower to try and get the process done as fast as possible with a bit of a bidding war as well, hopefully. But for my wife she'll have to figure out where to go.

I actually got very lucky...it sold within a week with minimal showings and the people who ended up buying it did so sight unseen as an investment property 

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Forge what's going on right now with the Vegas real estate market? It looks like it's rising and plummeting and all over the place over the past week.

Right now, it's okay, and I imagine it will be fine with Vegas opening back up.  Basically, prices / values are stable and increasing, but sale volume is decreasing. You don't want that to hang around for too long since inventory will dictate your prices, but I don't think that will be the case with the city (and state) trying to get back to normal. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Had 26 showings from 3 PM on Friday until 5:30 PM on Sunday, got two strong offers, to house is sold at this point, well, pending inspection/closing. Now it's just time to find a new place.

Congrats!  Hope it all goes through smoothly, with no financing issues.

54 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Had 26 showings from 3 PM on Friday until 5:30 PM on Sunday, got two strong offers, to house is sold at this point, well, pending inspection/closing. Now it's just time to find a new place.

That had to be exhausting.  Is the closing contingent on you finding a new place or will you have to move out before hand?

So I called a loan officer to really just ask a few questions. He's a buddy of mine that I've known for a long time. And next thing I know we are talking pre-approval...and he got me pre-approved for a ridiculously high amount. Like around 100k higher than I thought I could afford if I were to get the loan myself and not have my GF on it. 

A $50k salary, I thought I'd be able to afford somewhere in the 160-170k range pretty comfortably, but I didn't think I'd be pre-approved for anything over $200K. And I just got pre-approved for $275,000. Obviously I don't want to be a prisoner of my house payment, so I got to be cautious here. Just wasn't expecting that. 

I'm buying a house later this year and I need to read through this thread haha.

Going from renting to my first house. Doing that adult thing. Although part of me keeps thinking back to Fight Club, about buying all that stuff you don't need to impress people you don't like. But I'm excited about it, seeing the progress that's been made so far and can't wait to truly settle down in Arizona.

50 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

^^

You can't actually afford that, you'll be home broke. 

Aim for about half(give or take a little) of what they'll pre-approve you for. 

How do you know what he can afford? Lol especially if he has a gf that is pitching in.