News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

7 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I hope we do mix it up more but saying were better off throwing because 2nd and 3 is better than 2nd and 5 is playing with numbers.

Which QB doesnt gave a YPP higher than their RBs YPC.

If that's the case, we shouldnt run at all.

The point was that across the entire NFL every single team that throws on first down has more success than teams that run on first down. You cant throw on first down every play because the logistics of football dont allow that. But no team should be 50/50 (like we were). It needs to be closer to 60/40.

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is all so easily explained. Sample size. Thats why I dont so much care that he is #27. Its more the 19% of plays. Look at other "work horse" and it all balances out. 

Derek Henry was 35% on 300 carries

Sony Michel was 33% on 250 carries

Fournette was 32% on 265 carries

Cook was 24% on 250 carries

RunCMC was 23% on almost 300 carries

Cason was 21% on 280 carries

Jacobs was 20% on 240 carries

Zeke was 19% on 300 carries

Compared to other bellcows, Zeke does not face stacked boxes at a higher rate. Sure, you can say the number could be skewed with those dudes carrying 100 times. But once you get in that 250-300 range, all of them have had the short/goalline/etc runs. 

Thats how law of averages works. 

ARE THEY ACTUALLY CARRYING ON THOSE PLAYS.

They do not state when that they actually carrying on those plays on that they have faced that many stacked boxes when on the field.

Again the play could still be a roll out with the QB in which the RB never touches the ball.

They do not specifically state if they are running on those plays. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The point was that across the entire NFL every single team that throws on first down has more success than teams that run on first down. You cant throw on first down every play because the logistics of football dont allow that. But no team should be 50/50 (like we were). It needs to be closer to 60/40.

Should it? SF, Baltimore and Tennessee ran close roughly 50% of the time.

How well did they do?

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Again the play could still be a roll out with the QB in which the RB never touches the ball.

They do not specifically state if they are running on those plays. 

What does that matter? I dont understand your point. 

5 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Should it? SF, Baltimore and Tennessee ran close roughly 50% of the time.

How well did they do?

Baltimore is an exception to the rule. They have a RB at QB. 

Tenny went 9-7 and were much more successful passing than running on 1st. More yards, more 1st down, more TDs.... On 1/2 the attempts.

Repeat what I just said about Tenny but 13-3 record. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

What does that matter? I dont understand your point. 

Meaning they are counting a play against a play in which they are not touching the ball. Which means the numbers are skewered. 

Zeke could touch the ball 350 time a year when rushing and play 900 different offensive plays. If they are counting the times he is on the field when the box is stacked but still not actually rushing the ball then it's not really Zeke facing the stacked box. 

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Baltimore is an exception to the rule. They have a RB at QB. 

Tenny went 9-7 and were much more successful passing than running on 1st. More yards, more 1st down, more TDs.... On 1/2 the attempts.

Repeat what I just said about Tenny but 13-3 record. 

Again, what are you using to verify success? YPP and YPC? Because I'd you are then I would like to see what the numbers show for 2nd and 3rd down as well because your YPP should always be higher than YPC.

Are these stats taking situational football into consideration? There should be a difference in play calling in 1st quarter vs 4th quarter.

Do we have a big lead? Are we behind?

Are you playing a poor run defense? A poor passing defense?

All of the above matters and we shouldnt just have a one size fits all.

10 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Meaning they are counting a play against a play in which they are not touching the ball. Which means the numbers are skewered. 

Zeke could touch the ball 350 time a year when rushing and play 900 different offensive plays. If they are counting the times he is on the field when the box is stacked but still not actually rushing the ball then it's not really Zeke facing the stacked box. 

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Derek Henry was 35% on 300 carries => 590 

Sony Michel was 33% on 250 carries => 420

Fournette was 32% on 265 carries => 904 

Cook was 24% on 250 carries => 604

RunCMC was 23% on almost 300 carries => 1039

Cason was 21% on 280 carries => 723

Jacobs was 20% on 240 carries =>  460

Zeke was 19% on 300 carries => 940

The edited in "=> ###" is the snap count

So looking at it through this prism, Zeke could have drawn a box on ~180 plays. Where as someone like cook only did it on ~150 plays. Or Fornette would have done it almost ~300 times.

It still backs up my point. Zeke does not faces boxes at the clip that Cowboys fans pretend he does. 

4 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Again, what are you using to verify success? YPP and YPC? Because I'd you are then I would like to see what the numbers show for 2nd and 3rd down as well because your YPP should always be higher than YPC.

It can be found on the PFR Splits page.

Are these stats taking situational football into consideration? There should be a difference in play calling in 1st quarter vs 4th quarter.

Do we have a big lead? Are we behind?

Are you playing a poor run defense? A poor passing defense?

All of the above matters and we shouldnt just have a one size fits all.

All of this balances out when you factor each team has ~1000-1200 snaps for the season. Basic statistical analysis would tell you after a couple hundred data points all of the variable are accounted for. At 1000+ data points, no set of anomalies should factor in heavily 

EDIT: As for one size fits all; sure. There are exceptions. When your QB is a crazy scrambler (like Lamar J) or is prone to throwing 5 INTs a half (Nathan P). But as a rule of thumb, NFL teams do better when they pass at roughly 60/40 on first down over the course of a season. Not 50/50 like we were. 

Edited by Matts4313

58 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Wouldnt mind Kirk. Just depends on the cost.

it would have to be a 2021 4th or later, or I'm not interested.   I like the guy, but I'm fine with grabbing Hamler, Reagor, round 2 or later, and  Hill, Bowden, Duvernay round 3 or later, and having them cheap for 4 years.   I think Arizona is really gonna get low balled on compensation due to the great depth at wr in this draft.

58 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The edited in "=> ###" is the snap count

So looking at it through this prism, Zeke could have drawn a box on ~180 plays. Where as someone like cook only did it on ~150 plays. Or Fornette would have done it almost ~300 times.

It still backs up my point. Zeke does not faces boxes at the clip that Cowboys fans pretend he does. 

No it does not. There is still no clear indicator as to whether they are facing that on the carries or just by being in the huddle. 

Extreme scenario but Fournette could have seen a stacked box while on the field and not even rush against it once.

Again Coleman rushed into a box 40% of the time? What makes him so special? 

Where is the differential? The split that actually shows when they are touching the ball while seeing a 8 man box. 

11 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

What’s wrong with him that Arizona would spend a couple seasons developing, then cut bait?

Especially, after acquiring a true #1.   You would think they would want to keep as much talent for their young qb.   Maybe they are planning on taking Lamb at #8.