News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

4 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Our defense sucked last year because of coaching and, frankly, almost every position *except* the defensive line and Jones. Heath was probably our second best DB last year and don't get me started on Jaylon

I think Jaylon & LVE both took a significant step back.

the year before when they were both clicking our defense was lights out. e.g. shutting down the saints

24 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

the year before when they were both clicking our defense was lights out. e.g. shutting down the saints

FWIW, that game was one of the only times we've had Jones shadow a team's #1 wideout across the formation, and he was damn good that day too and a key cog in our best defensive performance in ages. But yeah, Vander Esch and Smith reverting to 2018 form would more than offset his loss

I understand not matching that Miami contract, and obviously the DL needed to be revamped with all the free agents and the scheme change. But you can't tell me that a lineup of Lawrence, Quinn, Bennett and Collins on third downs just wasn't good enough from a talent perspective. Poppycock. Our biggest problems were on the sidelines

9 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Don't worry we'll just draft another cornerback in round one so our defense can suck again

Bottom line it doesn't matter if Byron Jones was as good as advertised or not, our defense still sucks.. We need to win the battle of the line of scrimmage, having a supposed great cb last year did nothing for our defense

I  find it ironic that someone who preaches, weapons, weapons, weapons, doesn't think having one of the leagues best covering the other team's weapons is advantageous. Especially, when said CB could still be in tow with the additional help added on DL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I think that's more a reflection that the team (whether they publicly admit it or not) gave up on Garrett and Marinelli. Their messages were clearly stale and ineffective, and I'm 100% certain that the players stopped listening to them and stopped caring about them being successful. 

16 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I think that's more a reflection that the team (whether they publicly admit it or not) gave up on Garrett and Marinelli. Their messages were clearly stale and ineffective, and I'm 100% certain that the players stopped listening to them and stopped caring about them being successful. 

It was a similar regression we saw with Wade.

It is, in part, why I have such high expectations this year. New voice in the room, talent is there.

7 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

It was a similar regression we saw with Wade.

It is, in part, why I have such high expectations this year. New voice in the room, talent is there.

I think you nailed it, T_O7. When the talent is there (for the most part), but the play is lackluster and lazy, it's always a reflection of the coaching staff.

12 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I think you nailed it, T_O7. When the talent is there (for the most part), but the play is lackluster and lazy, it's always a reflection of the coaching staff.

And that's exactly why we still had good years under Garret. Sometimes we just had a lot of talent that overcame some of the coaching shortfalls. Also why, soon as we had an injury to Romo or Lee, we would struggle to win 5 games.

I really believe Garrett cost Romo/Witten a ring.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I  find it ironic that someone who preaches, weapons, weapons, weapons, doesn't think having one of the leagues best covering the other team's weapons is advantageous. Especially, when said CB could still be in tow with the additional help added on DL.

here's the thing. For the sake of argument, lets say Dallas had a "true "shutdown CB" (which I say doesn't exist in today's game) and this Shutdown CB locked up his ONE WR... A QB who has too much time can still exploit the rest of the field.. 

Where as a QB who loses his time quickly due to good LOS pressure can effect the entire secondary's play.. 

Certainly Dallas had many problems on defense not just pertaining to D-Line play (Coaching LBs safety Etc,,) but the easiest most surefire way to improve the D is get the Most dominant D-line possible. That is and will always be my philosphy

Edited by resilient part 2
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

here's the thing. For the sake of argument, lets say Dallas had a "true "shutdown CB" (which I say doesn't exist in today's game) and this Shutdown CB locked up his ONE WR... A QB who has too much time can still exploit the rest of the field.. 

Where as a QB who loses his time quickly due to good LOS pressure can effect the entire secondary's play.. 

Certainly Dallas had may problems on defense not just pertaining to D-Line play (Coaching LBs safety Etc,,) but the easiest most surefire way to improve the D is get the Most dominant D-line possible. That is and will always be my philosphy

Pass rushes make average Corners look great

Who isn't envious of teams with stout D-Lines. I want one too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

Certainly Dallas had may problems on defense not just pertaining to D-Line play (Coaching LBs safety Etc,,) but the easiest most surefire way to improve the D is get the Most dominant D-line possible. That is and will always be my philosphy

There's a reason why I don't like drafting DBs early. They're uni-tasker positions. They don't make any other position on the field better, where d-linemen do. They make the LBs jobs easier, and they really make DBs jobs easier. And given today's NFL rules, CBs are virtually useless. Stopping the run and getting the QB matters 10-fold more than any DB.

As I've said many times: you can have Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, and Ed Reed as your DBs, and ALL of them will get roasted without a solid defensive line. Or, worse yet, teams won't need to throw the ball because they can just run it down the defense's throat (thus nullifying whatever impact they would provide). You know....kinda like what the Rams did to us in 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

There's a reason why I don't like drafting DBs early. They're uni-tasker positions. They don't make any other position on the field better, where d-linemen do. They make the LBs jobs easier, and they really make DBs jobs easier. And given today's NFL rules, CBs are virtually useless. Stopping the run and getting the QB matters 10-fold more than any DB.

As I've said many times: you can have Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, and Ed Reed as your DBs, and ALL of them will get roasted without a solid defensive line. Or, worse yet, teams won't need to throw the ball because they can just run it down the defense's throat (thus nullifying whatever impact they would provide). You know....kinda like what the Rams did to us in 2018.

I thought running game doesnt matter? Didnt you see Matt's charts?