News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

3 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Lost all respect for Drew Brees 

Why? Why does a person have to agree with everything done by a movement in order to support it?

Brees already has stated many times he supports reform and fight against injustice but now he has to support something he views a disrespectful?

The mob mentality especially from where it started has caused so many of the problems in this country currently has that you have to go along to get along with others. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Why? Why does a person have to agree with everything done by a movement in order to support it?

Brees already has stated many times he supports reform and fight against injustice but now he has to support something he views a disrespectful?

The mob mentality especially from where it started has caused so many of the problems in this country currently has that you have to go along to get along with others. 

He said it himself, the flag is a SYMBOL of freedom. If dude would rather protect a symbol of freedom over actual freedom itself is ludicrous to me. The narrative was never about disrespecting the flag. It got turned into it by the doofus holding office and then people ran with it. 

7 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

He said it himself, the flag is a SYMBOL of freedom. If dude would rather protect a symbol of freedom over actual freedom itself is ludicrous to me. The narrative was never about disrespecting the flag. It got turned into it by the doofus holding office and then people ran with it. 

Actually it was precisely about that and protesting in a way to show disrespect. 

I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color

A symbol that you view as representation of racism I would like for you to tell me where the respect is in this quote and how kneeling wasn't trying to offend anyone? I mean if I saw something that I viewed with so much disgust and hatred like racism, then why wouldn't I be disrespectful? If it wasn't about the flag or anthem then why not protest before the game at stretches, or after the game, or even during the game? Strange the protest always seemed to occur when the anthem started so is that just a coincidence? 

No I think there are people who saw the movement it created and knew exactly what the backlash was going to be so they tried to twist the original narrative so it couldn't come back on them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Actually it was precisely about that and protesting in a way to show disrespect. 

A symbol that you view as representation of racism I would like for you to tell me where the respect is in this quote and how kneeling wasn't trying to offend anyone? I mean if I saw something that I viewed with so much disgust and hatred like racism, then why wouldn't I be disrespectful? If it wasn't about the flag or anthem then why not protest before the game at stretches, or after the game, or even during the game? Strange the protest always seemed to occur when the anthem started so is that just a coincidence? 

No I think there are people who saw the movement it created and knew exactly what the backlash was going to be so they tried to twist the original narrative so it couldn't come back on them. 

How many times are national anthems televised?? The only times they are televised is during the big games. In football that means conference championships and the superbowl. They were never televised until Kap started kneeling. To say he was doing it for attention is also a false narrative. 

Amazing how you skipped over my point about how Brees and apparently you for that matter would rather defend a FLAG, an article of cloth over the actual freedoms and lives of innocent people being killed by cops and radical citizens. What happened to freedom of speech? What happened to the right to localize and protest?? Or is that only when it fits your opinions? 

The flag represents the nation. You know the nation where every man and women are equal. Apparently if you're dark and wear a hoodie, or if you're dark and have your hands in your pockets or if you're dark and jogging down a road then you're not equal. When a drug dealer can get more time for selling weed than an officer whom killed an innocent man, no not every man is created equal. So you tell me why should someone stand for something they dont believe in?? That's like me telling you to believe in Dak when deep down inside we know you dont. 

19 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

How many times are national anthems televised?? The only times they are televised is during the big games. In football that means conference championships and the superbowl. They were never televised until Kap started kneeling. To say he was doing it for attention is also a false narrative. 

You sure? The deal with Nike? The fake tryout? I doubt Dr King would have disgraced his "I had a dream" speech with a sponsorship from Cocacola. I put this up in another thread, I wonder how much faster and more effective this movement would be had it gone down like this.

I bet you had they started the game and every team playing that Sunday took the field and knelt down refusing to play the game to bring attention, chatting with reporters about why they are doing it. Putting their careers and and livelihoods on the line. That would have been one hell of a message for the history books to everyone about the violence. 

Civil Rights Heroes made similar statements that put their reputations, livelihoods and lives on the line to do whats right. But not these guys, oh no, you didn't see Kaep out there with the protesters. No one barely even noticed him for weeks, but how much quicker do you think that movement would have came about if he pulled a Glen Coffee or Pat Tillman and just up and quit to go do what he thought was right? I'm willing to bet you anything the reporters would have come in droves to see him do it. 

Amazing how you skipped over my point about how Brees and apparently you for that matter would rather defend a FLAG, an article of cloth over the actual freedoms and lives of innocent people being killed by cops and radical citizens. What happened to freedom of speech? What happened to the right to localize and protest?? Or is that only when it fits your opinions? 

The flag IS A representation of freedom. A rally cry for people to stand behind united to go and fight for those "actual freedoms and lives of innocent people being killed by cops and radical citizens." You don't disrespect the article of cloth just because some things aren't the way you want them. You pick it up and remind people why its there and why we fly it over our heads and go and do the right thing. But that's not what Kaep did, did he?

The flag represents the nation. You know the nation where every man and women are equal. Apparently if you're dark and wear a hoodie, or if you're dark and have your hands in your pockets or if you're dark and jogging down a road then you're not equal. When a drug dealer can get more time for selling weed than an officer whom killed an innocent man, no not every man is created equal. So you tell me why should someone stand for something they dont believe in?? That's like me telling you to believe in Dak when deep down inside we know you dont. 

Your taking a few instances of injustices and calling it the norm which just isn't true. Thousands up thousands of stops are done and resolved each and every day peacefully and done by good people of all shapes and colors. Even now you have cops (who i certainly don't agree with disregarding duty) taking off their vests and marching with protesters while risking harm and possibly further rioting by people who are just there to be a menace not caring about the movement. Innocent people are being robbed left and right so maybe you can explain to me how a 40 inch TV stolen from an elderly widower is furthering the cause? Now was it right that I just applied theft to sum up that movement in one sentence? I could have just as easily be talking about the black guy I saw on twitter take a skateboard away from some d-bag who was breaking store windows cause I guess he thought he was cool? 

There is no overwhelming evidence that shows this is America circa 1918. Nor is there any to show that the American flag is basically a swastika flying overhead. Nor is the any to suggest Brees is ignorant or doesn't care about equal rights when he specifically states he is and supports this movement but just disagrees with this one tactic of how narcissistic NFL went about spreading awareness when there was a million other ways for them to bring awareness. 

Him disagreeing with their tactic to disrespect the flag is no more disrespectful to the marchers then him disagreeing with the riots that supposedly are supposed to further the movement of the marches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Small nitpick here:

Conference championships, Super Bowls, and almost every single cowboys game including preseason. 

As a Cowboys fan, I didn’t really notice the change. Because I normally only watch them.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Small nitpick here:

Conference championships, Super Bowls, and almost every single cowboys game including preseason. 

As a Cowboys fan, I didn’t really notice the change. Because I normally only watch them.

How many national anthems get televised? Glossed over that fact right? 

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

You sure? The deal with Nike? The fake tryout? I doubt Dr King would have disgraced his "I had a dream" speech with a sponsorship from Cocacola. I put this up in another thread, I wonder how much faster and more effective this movement would be had it gone down like this.

I bet you had they started the game and every team playing that Sunday took the field and knelt down refusing to play the game to bring attention, chatting with reporters about why they are doing it. Putting their careers and and livelihoods on the line. That would have been one hell of a message for the history books to everyone about the violence. 

Civil Rights Heroes made similar statements that put their reputations, livelihoods and lives on the line to do whats right. But not these guys, oh no, you didn't see Kaep out there with the protesters. No one barely even noticed him for weeks, but how much quicker do you think that movement would have came about if he pulled a Glen Coffee or Pat Tillman and just up and quit to go do what he thought was right? I'm willing to bet you anything the reporters would have come in droves to see him do it. 

The flag IS A representation of freedom. A rally cry for people to stand behind united to go and fight for those "actual freedoms and lives of innocent people being killed by cops and radical citizens." You don't disrespect the article of cloth just because some things aren't the way you want them. You pick it up and remind people why its there and why we fly it over our heads and go and do the right thing. But that's not what Kaep did, did he?

Your taking a few instances of injustices and calling it the norm which just isn't true. Thousands up thousands of stops are done and resolved each and every day peacefully and done by good people of all shapes and colors. Even now you have cops (who i certainly don't agree with disregarding duty) taking off their vests and marching with protesters while risking harm and possibly further rioting by people who are just there to be a menace not caring about the movement. Innocent people are being robbed left and right so maybe you can explain to me how a 40 inch TV stolen from an elderly widower is furthering the cause? Now was it right that I just applied theft to sum up that movement in one sentence? I could have just as easily be talking about the black guy I saw on twitter take a skateboard away from some d-bag who was breaking store windows cause I guess he thought he was cool? 

There is no overwhelming evidence that shows this is America circa 1918. Nor is there any to show that the American flag is basically a swastika flying overhead. Nor is the any to suggest Brees is ignorant or doesn't care about equal rights when he specifically states he is and supports this movement but just disagrees with this one tactic of how narcissistic NFL went about spreading awareness when there was a million other ways for them to bring awareness. 

Him disagreeing with their tactic to disrespect the flag is no more disrespectful to the marchers then him disagreeing with the riots that supposedly are supposed to further the movement of the marches. 

That was after the fact. He was already blackballed from the NFL. Are you saying dude cant make a living?? 

You dont know how it would of played out if he had gone about it differently. Hindsight is 20/20. 

Brees talked about uniting as one and not kneeling. If he wanted unity then why couldnt he be united with them and kneel as well?? That's right because it doesnt fit his narrative. He wants to only do things he agrees with. And what he agrees with is standing for the anthem no matter what. Even if it means that innocent people are being killed by cops. 

14 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Lost all respect for Drew Brees 

13 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

As did I. What a terribly ignorant and stupid thing to say. Talk about white privilege.

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

He is from Westlake. He’s been privileged in more ways than a few if you know those kids. 

11 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Interested to hear what you guys think about this:

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He did the right thing by apologizing. I honestly don't think Brees meant any harm when he said what he said. He simply said something ignorant because he came from an environment of absolute white privilege and thought more about himself and his feelings rather than the purpose of the protest and the feelings and positions of those affected by racism and police violence. I like to call that issue "accidental racism". It's not overt or intentional, but still exists.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

He did the right thing by apologizing. I honestly don't think Brees meant any harm when he said what he said. He simply said something ignorant because he came from an environment of absolute white privilege and thought more about himself and his feelings rather than the purpose of the protest and the feelings and positions of those affected by racism and police violence. I like to call that issue "accidental racism". It's not overt or intentional, but still exists.

I don't know that accidental is the right descriptor. I might go with "unconscious"

We all have cognitive biases borne from our upbringings and biological "fight or flight" self-preservation instincts. The important thing is to recognize and fight them.

"The first and best victory is to conquer self. To be conquered by self is, of all things, the most shameful and vile." - Plato

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Absolutely Predictable

Apology came harder and faster than a 16 year old on Prom Night

Probably written by a PR firm and then released electronically

Be interesting to see if he does a live interview apology tour or lays low until training camp

2 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I don't know that accidental is the right descriptor. I might go with "unconscious"

We all have cognitive biases borne from our upbringings and biological "fight or flight" self-preservation instincts. The important thing is to recognize and fight them.

"The first and best victory is to conquer self. To be conquered by self is, of all things, the most shameful and vile." - Plato

That's fair. I've also used the term "latent" rather than "accidental".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

That was after the fact. He was already blackballed from the NFL. Are you saying dude cant make a living?? 

I'm saying martyr's are more respected then charlatans. 

You dont know how it would of played out if he had gone about it differently. Hindsight is 20/20. 

I know more radical actions like those are attention getters. No one noticed Kaep for weeks and then all of a sudden the media decided to run with it. 

Brees talked about uniting as one and not kneeling. If he wanted unity then why couldnt he be united with them and kneel as well?? That's right because it doesnt fit his narrative. He wants to only do things he agrees with. And what he agrees with is standing for the anthem no matter what. Even if it means that innocent people are being killed by cops. 

So you agree with the rioting then? Cause there are quite a few people agreeing and giving it weight as a justified way of protesting.

Again you don't have to agree with all the actions some people take in order to support a movement. 

You were told it wasn't about the flag or anthem when that clearly just was not the case when it started. You were told a lie Bud, kneel in the streets then, kneel at city hall, kneel in the middle of the God d*** field during the game. I still wanna see these over privileged players put their money where their mouth is and stop playing games in order to raise awareness. It's clearly taken on a different meaning then why it was originally done, so why again is it always done at the unveiling of the flag and anthem if it has nothing to do with it?