NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

19 hours ago, Starless said:

Why is the NFLPA so bad at negotiating? 

You're dealing with one side being made up of a large percentage of self-made multi-billionaires and another side that prides itself on hiring a lot of former players who spent more time in the weight room during college than they spent attending their heavy schedule of "basket-weaving" caliber classes.  Is it any wonder that the owners take the NFLPA to the woodshed every time?  Hardly.

• Like 3

Everyone who keeps saying the players need to push for larger rosters is missing the point that the players are really just in this for the money too. If the cut stays the same, but the rosters are larger, the kind of high profile players involved in this sort of thing could get a smaller portion of the money. If there are 10% more rostered players, that money comes from the players that would be on roster regardless.

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

lol the idea that the owners have the leverage and not the guys who if they elect to stop working, literally shut down the league, is why they keep getting bent over the barrel. 

Does the PA literally just not have a strike fund?

That would require competence and forethought from an organisation that doesn't appear to have much of either. If memory serves, they didn't have much of a strike fund or an ability to give the players and their families health benefits during the 2011 lockout. 

They did write an email to the players during the last season telling them to save for a potential lockout in 2021 though. 

I think the obvious solution is to add more bye weeks.  If we had 3-4 bye weeks, the season could probably be extended by another month.  I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.  It would make the season longer and would make injuries less of a factor in who ultimately gets into the playoffs and wins it all.  The better built teams would win and the lesser teams wouldn't have as much of a luck factor to fall back on.

26 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That would require competence and forethought from an organisation that doesn't appear to have much of either. If memory serves, they didn't have much of a strike fund or an ability to give the players and their families health benefits during the 2011 lockout. 

They did write an email to the players during the last season telling them to save for a potential lockout in 2021 though. 

******* insane. Agree to take a fixed % that scales out of every players contract as union does specifically for a strike fund. It's such an easily solved problem that I am more convinced than ever that the PA is not actually trying to fight ownership or ever accomplish broad changes that benefit players over ownership. They remind me of "approved opposition" from totalitarian states.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think the obvious solution is to add more bye weeks.  If we had 3-4 bye weeks, the season could probably be extended by another month.  I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.  It would make the season longer and would make injuries less of a factor in who ultimately gets into the playoffs and wins it all.  The better built teams would win and the lesser teams wouldn't have as much of a luck factor to fall back on.

The fact that there is even talk about adding games....and no talk about a 2nd bye week is beyond ridiculous.

Add this point, and the offer being considered must be brutally bad on actual concessions, other than a bigger piece of the pie, but more games to be played.   SMH @ the NFLPA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The fact that there is even talk about adding games....and no talk about a 2nd bye week is beyond ridiculous.

Add this point, and the offer being considered must be brutally bad on actual concessions, other than a bigger piece of the pie, but more games to be played.   SMH @ the NFLPA.

I don't see why they would have a problem with more byes for every team if the overall number of annual games is able to be increased.    It seems like it might be a good solution for both sides.  Let each team play 4 games and then get a bye week.  Do that 5 times a year and we could actually see fewer serious injuries and less time missed.  More games played in a healthy manner is good for all involved.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't see why they would have a problem with more byes for every team if the overall number of annual games is able to be increased.    It seems like it might be a good solution for both sides.  Let each team play 4 games and then get a bye week.  Do that 5 times a year and we could actually see fewer serious injuries and less time missed.  More games played in a healthy manner is good for all involved.

I'd guess the owners want it both ways - local gate increase and TV revenue.   They don't give a rat's *** about the players.   In their minds, playing more games is the only way to justify giving a higher piece of the pie.   The fact that extra byes aren't being mentioned speaks to this mentality (I'll gladly retract this if we find out extra byes are included).  SMH.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'd guess the owners want it both ways - local gate increase and TV revenue.   They don't give a rat's *** about the players.   In their minds, playing more games is the only way to justify giving a higher piece of the pie.   The fact that extra byes aren't being mentioned speaks to this mentality (I'll gladly retract this if we find out extra byes are included).  SMH.

That kind of mentality is just not good business.  It doesn't make sense for them to think like that. I hope you're wrong about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were right.  :(

The expansion to a 19-week, 17-game regular season would be terrible for the scheduling of NFL games during the winter of 2021-22.

The NFL swapped network assignments for Super Bowls 55 and 56 so that NBC had the latter and the Winter Olympics in the same calendar year, with more freedom to move the Super Bowl so that it didn't conflict with the Olympics.

But with this proposed change to the regular season, the NFL is saying they want to compete with the Olympics. This means trouble.

On the other hand, it allows for more games in Europe, and the NFL just might have the incentive to sell those games as a separate TV package with the idea that all games would kick off when it is morning on the East Coast of the US, leading into the main slate of Sunday afternoon games on CBS and Fox. This package would likely be picked up by ABC, who is currently the only big 4 network not televising NFL games that are not simulcast with a cable network (they have a wild card game but that's also on ESPN, I figure ABC would get sole rights to that game in the next TV contract and get a Saturday divisional round game too, as well as be part of the Super Bowl rotation).

If the NFL stages games in Brazil on Monday nights, they'd have to kick off at 6:30 PM ET because the three main cities in Brazil are 2 hours ahead of the East Coast of the US.

Edited by pf9