NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

Its pathetic that we are now pretty much guaranteed to have at least one sub .500 team in the playoffs every year now.

Pure greed decision that has a negative impact on the quality of the league.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Its pathetic that we are now pretty much guaranteed to have at least one sub .500 team in the playoffs every year now.

Pure greed decision that has a negative impact on the quality of the league.

I actually don't think that's the case. Moving forward, sub-.500 teams that get in are more likely to be division winners that would have gotten in via current system.

I don't care for expanding the playoffs, actually I dislike it, but let's at least be factual in our criticism here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, pf9 said:

Owners and players would not go for that. My proposals to eventually expand to 16 playoff teams and to not guarantee top 4 seeds for division winners are sufficient enough to get many good teams into the playoffs. The NBA no longer guarantees top 4 seeds for its division winners, and that format has worked out quite well for that league. It's time other sports leagues take the same approach to seeding as the NBA.

I'm even advocating a change to the NBA playoff format which puts the top 16 teams in the league in the playoffs but still nominally divides them by conference. If a conference has 9 or more teams in the top 16, those ranked below #8 in the conference get sent to the other conference's playoffs and are seeded accordingly. A team which finishes 48-34 in the NBA but is #9 in their conference would still get into the playoffs but participate in the other conference's bracket.

Using the NBA as a model for the NFL? No thanks. There are reasons I quit watching that league....  

NFL and NCAA football is all the sports I watch regularly. 

I don’t see anything about reseeding which I hate. So now #1 seed is the lone bye and gets weakest divisional round opponent. Way too big of an advantage.

Edit: Nvm. I see they did get rid of it. Love this then.

Edit: Read that wrong. Ah screw it

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

The NFL had already reached a point of oversaturation for me. I don't need more NFL, I need better NFL. Quality, not quantity. I've been losing interest in the league for awhile now. I used to joke that football was my religion, but I am very far removed from that. Adding more mediocre teams and more mediocre games is not a draw for me. I hope it works for them, I just don't see myself sticking around much longer to see if it does.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:
11 hours ago, kramxel said:

Has anyone done the digging on what would be the lowest record in history for a team to get in with the new format?

7-9, 6-10 Maybe?

Seattle got in at 7-9

That was also the Beast Quake year they beat the Saints

Panthers 7-8-1 made the Divisional Rd.

Chargers 8-8 made the Divisional Rd.

Arizona was 9-7 Made the SB and were a Toe Tap from Winning.

Giants 9-7 Won the SB beating the Undefeated Patriots.

Our Record even if 500 or worst doesn't always mean You Suck! Just mean its unlikely you Win it all.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Using the NBA as a model for the NFL? No thanks. There are reasons I quit watching that league.... 

I feel the best four teams in a conference, regardless of where they placed in their divisions, are the teams that should be hosting first round games.

The 2018 Chargers were hurt in part because despite being tied for the best record in the league, the fact they lost a tie-breaker to Kansas City kept them from having a home game in the playoffs. Though they managed to win their first-round game against Baltimore, they could not get a win in Foxboro.

I feel that the two best teams in each conference, regardless of division placement, should have a good chance of meeting in the CCG. Even if both teams are from the same division.

The NBA stopped giving division winners a top 4 seed for good reason. In 2019, Orlando won the Southeast Division of the NBA with a 42-40 record. Under the previous system, they would have gotten the #4 seed, but the NBA started using records to determine home-court advantage for a series well before stripping the top 4 seed guarantee from division winners. Orlando got a #7 seed, and rightfully so.

MLB had something like this happen 5 years ago. The three best teams in the NL all came from the Central: St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Chicago. Because of MLB rules, the latter two didn't have a bye to the NLDS. They had to play in the Wild Card game, which the Cubs won. Meanwhile the Dodgers and Mets got to avoid the NL Central until the NLCS, because the Cubs had to play the Cardinals in the NLDS. The Mets won the NLCS, which irked me as a Yankees fan because the Yankees failed to score in the Wild Card game, which was played against a team that eventually cheated (you know who it is). The Yankees were victims themselves of a similar situation three years before. The Tigers had the worst record of all playoff teams, but they got to skip the Wild Card game because they won the AL Central. They went on to sweep the Yankees in the ALCS. Had teams been seeded by record, Detroit would have likely lost the AL Wild Card game to Baltimore.

The NBA began fixing the playoff seeding system after an atrocity in 2006 where half the Western Playoff teams could avoid the two best teams in the West, Dallas and San Antonio, until the Conference Finals, because those teams were #1 and #4 and could only meet in the conference semis. This alone should set a precedent for MLB and the NFL to fix their seeding systems. Division winners don't always deserve seeding priority.

I feel the best 2 teams in a conference (league in baseball) should always have the opportunity to meet in the conference final/LCS.

I'm even proposing some changes in the NHL. I expected the NHL several years ago to add two teams in the Central Time Zone to the Central Division so that the Colorado Avalanche could be moved into the Pacific. The NHL's expansion went the other way, adding Las Vegas and Seattle, which are in the Pacific Time Zone. The NHL plans to move the Arizona Coyotes to the Central, a plan I am not a fan of because not only is Phoenix closer to the Pacific Time Zone than the Central, during Daylight Savings Time it is effectively in the Pacific Time Zone, because most of Arizona, nominally in the Mountain Time Zone, does not observe Daylight Savings Time - which would for parts of the season, make the Central Division a 3-time zone division, the very thing the NHL wanted to eliminate in the 2013 realignment.

So, I'm proposing a 6-division split to go along with Seattle's establishment. In the West, the Northwest Division would be re-formed with the three western-most Canadian teams, Colorado, and Seattle. The Pacific Division would consist of the California and desert teams. The Central Division is rebranded the Midwest Division, so that its name could be assigned to a new division in the Eastern Conference, consisting of the Eastern teams in the Midwest and Southeast. The Atlantic Division returns to the Northeast Division name, and Metropolitan, now solely consisting of former Patrick Division members, returns to the Atlantic name.

Under my proposed playoff system, the three division winners in each conference plus the 5 best remaining teams in each conference get in, but like the NBA, division winners would not get seeding priority.

13 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

The NFL had already reached a point of oversaturation for me. I don't need more NFL, I need better NFL. Quality, not quantity. I've been losing interest in the league for awhile now. I used to joke that football was my religion, but I am very far removed from that. Adding more mediocre teams and more mediocre games is not a draw for me. I hope it works for them, I just don't see myself sticking around much longer to see if it does.

You are not the target audience. They have you.

This helps keeps teams alive (big market teams too), and thats what they want as well.

16 hours ago, pf9 said:

I feel the best four teams in a conference, regardless of where they placed in their divisions, are the teams that should be hosting first round games.

The 2018 Chargers were hurt in part because despite being tied for the best record in the league, the fact they lost a tie-breaker to Kansas City kept them from having a home game in the playoffs. Though they managed to win their first-round game against Baltimore, they could not get a win in Foxboro.

I feel that the two best teams in each conference, regardless of division placement, should have a good chance of meeting in the CCG. Even if both teams are from the same division.

The NBA stopped giving division winners a top 4 seed for good reason. In 2019, Orlando won the Southeast Division of the NBA with a 42-40 record. Under the previous system, they would have gotten the #4 seed, but the NBA started using records to determine home-court advantage for a series well before stripping the top 4 seed guarantee from division winners. Orlando got a #7 seed, and rightfully so.

MLB had something like this happen 5 years ago. The three best teams in the NL all came from the Central: St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Chicago. Because of MLB rules, the latter two didn't have a bye to the NLDS. They had to play in the Wild Card game, which the Cubs won. Meanwhile the Dodgers and Mets got to avoid the NL Central until the NLCS, because the Cubs had to play the Cardinals in the NLDS. The Mets won the NLCS, which irked me as a Yankees fan because the Yankees failed to score in the Wild Card game, which was played against a team that eventually cheated (you know who it is). The Yankees were victims themselves of a similar situation three years before. The Tigers had the worst record of all playoff teams, but they got to skip the Wild Card game because they won the AL Central. They went on to sweep the Yankees in the ALCS. Had teams been seeded by record, Detroit would have likely lost the AL Wild Card game to Baltimore.

The NBA began fixing the playoff seeding system after an atrocity in 2006 where half the Western Playoff teams could avoid the two best teams in the West, Dallas and San Antonio, until the Conference Finals, because those teams were #1 and #4 and could only meet in the conference semis. This alone should set a precedent for MLB and the NFL to fix their seeding systems. Division winners don't always deserve seeding priority.

I feel the best 2 teams in a conference (league in baseball) should always have the opportunity to meet in the conference final/LCS.

I'm even proposing some changes in the NHL. I expected the NHL several years ago to add two teams in the Central Time Zone to the Central Division so that the Colorado Avalanche could be moved into the Pacific. The NHL's expansion went the other way, adding Las Vegas and Seattle, which are in the Pacific Time Zone. The NHL plans to move the Arizona Coyotes to the Central, a plan I am not a fan of because not only is Phoenix closer to the Pacific Time Zone than the Central, during Daylight Savings Time it is effectively in the Pacific Time Zone, because most of Arizona, nominally in the Mountain Time Zone, does not observe Daylight Savings Time - which would for parts of the season, make the Central Division a 3-time zone division, the very thing the NHL wanted to eliminate in the 2013 realignment.

So, I'm proposing a 6-division split to go along with Seattle's establishment. In the West, the Northwest Division would be re-formed with the three western-most Canadian teams, Colorado, and Seattle. The Pacific Division would consist of the California and desert teams. The Central Division is rebranded the Midwest Division, so that its name could be assigned to a new division in the Eastern Conference, consisting of the Eastern teams in the Midwest and Southeast. The Atlantic Division returns to the Northeast Division name, and Metropolitan, now solely consisting of former Patrick Division members, returns to the Atlantic name.

Under my proposed playoff system, the three division winners in each conference plus the 5 best remaining teams in each conference get in, but like the NBA, division winners would not get seeding priority.

I appreciate your effort, but I do think winning the division should mean something.

I REALLY don't like the NBA. Like at all.

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I appreciate your effort, but I do think winning the division should mean something.

I REALLY don't like the NBA. Like at all.

For the record, winning your division would mean something. It's called making the playoffs.

And in pro sports, seeding just by record would be much better than if the way the NCAA seeded teams in March Madness were used.

Edited by pf9