NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Danger said:

This vote was approved by the owners. Gives way too much of an advantage to the 1-seed. Terrible.

Which is why I want an expansion to 16 teams down the road, as soon as 2031 maybe.

And seeding should be drastically altered so that division winners aren't guaranteed a top 4 seed. Philadelphia last year is an example of a division winner that would have opened the playoffs on the road despite winning their division because they went 9-7 last year, while two wild card teams had better records. Under my system, Philadelphia would have only been a #7 seed, losing a tie-breaker for #6 to the Rams, thus the Eagles, despite winning the NFC East, would have opened the playoffs in Green Bay.

By removing the top 4 guarantee from division winners, it would make teams compete harder to earn a particular seed.

Edited by pf9

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I want any divisions who cannot produce a team with a record above .500 to be entirely excluded from the playoffs so those who have better records have a chance. So, 9-7 or better or your division gets no representation.

Owners and players would not go for that. My proposals to eventually expand to 16 playoff teams and to not guarantee top 4 seeds for division winners are sufficient enough to get many good teams into the playoffs. The NBA no longer guarantees top 4 seeds for its division winners, and that format has worked out quite well for that league. It's time other sports leagues take the same approach to seeding as the NBA.

I'm even advocating a change to the NBA playoff format which puts the top 16 teams in the league in the playoffs but still nominally divides them by conference. If a conference has 9 or more teams in the top 16, those ranked below #8 in the conference get sent to the other conference's playoffs and are seeded accordingly. A team which finishes 48-34 in the NBA but is #9 in their conference would still get into the playoffs but participate in the other conference's bracket.

Edited by pf9

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I want any divisions who cannot produce a team with a record above .500 to be entirely excluded from the playoffs so those who have better records have a chance. So, 9-7 or better or your division gets no representation.

I could get behind this. Any change in the playoff format should be geared towards making it simpler, not more complicated.

Edited by y*so*blu

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Are you OK with 8-7-1 or  7-6-2 ?  :D

Soon enough its gonna be 9-8 anyways so you're .500 is out the window... until they try for 18 games

On 2/26/2020 at 9:34 PM, SkippyX said:

The NFLs biggest ego, Aaron Rodgers, just revealed that adding another playoff team and getting 106+ more players in the playoffs each year is terrible because the Packers would not have had a bye this year.

The world does not revolve around you, bro.

You want a Bye you GD Cry Baby, Win the #1 Seed outright! Step up or Shut up!🍺

This might be the best thing to happen in a long time. Probably long over due TBH. Makes being the #1 seed even more important,  as it should be for the Best Team in each conference. Everybody else should have to play an extra game!

Edited by Nabbs4u

The 1 seed is now just far too powerful, homefield AND the only bye is too much.

For those of you defending the idea: Imagine two 14-2 teams are separated by a tiebreaker for 1/2 seed. The 1 seed gets a bye while the equal-record 2 seed has to play a game against a 9-8 WC team who scraped in on point differential. The 2 seed wins, brushing aside an overmatched opposition, but takes a key injury to a star QB. Thus the much-hyped 1/2 seed championship game is a walk-over for the well-rested 1 seed against a tired team with a back-up QB starting.

In the name of boosting revenues, this could massively dilute the end product.

Plus its mathematically ugly and I hate that.