NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, August4th said:

wonder how much influence the NFL has on how some media members report this. they're making it seem this is close, but in reality the players might hate the current offer? thus making the players the bad guys for ruining what was thought to be a done deal.

Oh forsure they are.

21 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You're dealing with one side being made up of a large percentage of self-made multi-billionaires and another side that prides itself on hiring a lot of former players who spent more time in the weight room during college than they spent attending their heavy schedule of "basket-weaving" caliber classes.  Is it any wonder that the owners take the NFLPA to the woodshed every time?  Hardly.

1. There's no such thing as bolded.

2. The same dynamic holds for other sports and yet the NFL's union is, BY FAR, the weakest. 

• Like 3

Another reason I want to strip division winners of seeding priority is to give potential playoff teams incentive to play for seeding. If a division leader knows they are not guaranteed a home game in the first round even if they win their division they'll fight hard to earn it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dodo said:

When you have the same union representing both Tom Brady and Chimdi Chekwa, the former's interests will always take priority over the vast majority of players

I'd say it's the exact opposite.

The vast majority of NFL players aren't the guys making $10 million a year, and NFL players have short shelf lives.

The majority of guys can't afford to just sit out a year or have a lockout take out a chunk of the season, it would be a huge hit to their career earnings. That's why the unions generally cave.

11 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

I'd say it's the exact opposite.

The vast majority of NFL players aren't the guys making $10 million a year, and NFL players have short shelf lives.

The majority of guys can't afford to just sit out a year or have a lockout take out a chunk of the season, it would be a huge hit to their career earnings. That's why the unions generally cave.

That is true. My point was more as to why; superstars are going to be well off regardless so thus they have less incentive to flex their muscle with ownership and advocate for those with less power than them. It's bad enough for those at the bottom having to deal with ownership when a majority of the top earning players who can afford to put skin in the game won't do so. Someone earlier mentioned that with competent leadership the players would've been contributing to a strike fund right after the last CBA was reached to help those who would be hurt by a potential lockout. I'm glad Watt and Sherman are doing their part to push back but they seem to be in the minority unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

How do you come to that conclusion?

That person is right, in a strictly technical sense. Capitalism doesn't exist without a federal government creating a federal court system to enforce property rights (if there isn't a court system, what's there to stop me from robbing you at gunpoint and just claiming that your business is mine?) - so without that kind of federal help, there wouldn't exist a fortune for them to own their teams. And generally even people who do manage to create a large amount of wealth through cunning and ingenuity had some kind of help or luck on the way. Or they inherited it.

Edited by Hukos

I'm hoping for a strike. If not I would have enjoyed the thought of the Raiders still having a shot at the playoffs but it removes too much incentive for those locked up, making it a lesser product like Thursday night and out of the country games have. Hence why I hope for a strike. 

On 2/21/2020 at 1:15 PM, August4th said:

I'd love for the players to call their bluff. Take it or leave it ultimatum and shove it!. Only thing Billionaires hate more then losing Money, is losing Brinks Trucks fulls of Money!!!! They too want absolutely no part of a Strike ridden season!! NO PART!!

Edited by Nabbs4u