NFL To Revamp Playoffs; Add 7th Team with Only 1 1st Round Bye

ramssuperbowl99

5 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I'd rather 18 games, 2 bye weeks per team, and 7 team per conference playoffs.

I think the 17 games, 2 byes and 7 playoff teams that they are proposing is fine...why would you rather push for the 18 game? (besides just more football)

Just now, Kiltman said:

I think the 17 games, 2 byes and 7 playoff teams that they are proposing is fine...why would you rather push for the 18 game? (besides just more football)

Pettiest reason ever.

I don't like uneven numbers. I am going to be completely honest. My thought for schedule layout:

6 division (one home one away each obviously)
4 interconference games (2 and 2)
1 in conference division (2 and 2)
Same place finishers from other 2 division in conference (home and home for each)

That all said, I'm perfectly content with 16 games but I just want even numbers for it tbh. I would just rather 18 than 17. It's awkward.

• Like 1

Just now, JoshstraDaymus said:

Pettiest reason ever.

I don't like uneven numbers. I am going to be completely honest. My thought for schedule layout:

6 division (one home one away each obviously)
4 interconference games (2 and 2)
1 in conference division (2 and 2)
Same place finishers from other 2 division in conference (home and home for each)

That all said, I'm perfectly content with 16 games but I just want even numbers for it tbh. I would just rather 18 than 17. It's awkward.

ha ok, yeah I had to think of it as like an extra game that is almost separate, neutral site...out of conference...to get past the maths of it all.

So we just keep things as they are with schedule rotation and the league has these 16 extra games to do whatever they want with.

It works for expansion too, should they add 4 teams and move to 6 divisions of 6...though you could lose multiple games against your division
You play your division once (5), Play another full division (6) and then play one of the divisions in the other conference (6) = 17 games.
Or play 3 from each of the two divisions in conference, + all 6 of an inter-conference division.

xKpPcIP.png

But there are some more complicated ways you can keep multiple division games in.  
Including some weird 3 conference solutions

VUutj83.png

or

ZZO1b6Y.png

(and yes I did make these graphics and just come up with an excuse to post them)

• Like 1

I honestly don't like the expanded playoffs idea. I don't think there have been too many instances where I thought a legit team didn't make the playoffs. In most cases, we see bad teams making the playoffs because they win their division. We don't generally see good teams miss the playoffs entirely.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

lol the idea that the owners have the leverage and not the guys who if they elect to stop working, literally shut down the league, is why they keep getting bent over the barrel. 

Does the PA literally just not have a strike fund?

I mean I get this and generally agree with it, but if the league shuts down who do you think lasts longer on the holdout: The players, or billionaires?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, August4th said:

so the WC weekend last yr would of added Steelers@KC and Rams@packers under this format

KC would slaughtered the steelers, but Rams @ packers might of been interesting

Who are we kidding though, the Chiefs slaughtered the Texans anyways - why not add one more?

I feel like we would have beaten the Packers, but definitely would have been a good game.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

lol the idea that the owners have the leverage and not the guys who if they elect to stop working, literally shut down the league, is why they keep getting bent over the barrel. 

Does the PA literally just not have a strike fund?

They have the leverage because, as much as it may blow our minds, most NFL players can't afford to stop working.

It's only the top 25% or so that have enough money to just stop.

And while that may mean that the best players aren't playing, imagine all the average-above average players on rookie deals without endorsements who are living paycheck to paycheck because they bought cars and houses and took care of their parents. A league full of the Daniel Jones' of the world would still be interesting enough to draw ratings, which would almost be a win/win for the owners.