The 2020 NFL Combine Thread

WindyCity

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears fans seem to be underselling it, but I'm looking at OT in round 2. The play from Leno and Massie was awful last season and IIRC the Bears have not drafted a young one since Tayo Fabuluje.

I want to double dip at OT this draft. There is a ton of depth there this year, we should take advantage of it. One should be able to stick at OT at least and the other should be able to at least play OG. 

I want OT and EDGE in the 2nd if things work out perfectly imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If I was a GM I would make drafting an OT any year I had one highly rated a priority.  Those guys are so rare and so many can still kick inside if they don't work out at OT.

It seems a no brainer.   I think Eagles doing that last year and getting in front of Houston was brilliant.  They wrecked them.  They had to go trade for Tunsil - who Bears should have drafted IMO.

This is my philosophy. I want 5 OL who were OTs ( or 4 and one heady C that can anchor well). You need guys who can play in space with how creative DCs are becoming and how athletic defensive guys are. Plus OTs normally have physical gifts that many interior lineman lack, being length or athleticism. So you can potentially have serious advantages, much like Long did for an OG. Most of the elite interior linemen like Nelson and Scherff could have been fantastic OTs as well imo. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Most of the elite interior linemen like Nelson and Scherff could have been fantastic OTs as well imo. 

I'm still convinced the Redskins will trade, or cut, Trent Williams and move Scherff to LT. And I will believe that until proven otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm still convinced the Redskins will trade, or cut, Trent Williams and move Scherff to LT. And I will believe that until proven otherwise. 

While I doubt we have the ammo to win a bidding war over him, just in due diligence Williams should be called on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If the Bears didn't trade up for Montgomery last year, I'd be all over Cam Akers at 50 this year and never look back. He's arguably the most underrated player in this draft.

I wanna see Montgomery behind a competent run blocking OL. I love the way he runs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I want him to get 25 carries a game, too.

Damn man. Henry had the most per game and only got 20 and is built like a tank. You're gonna break poor Montgomery before he can get a 2nd deal. Lol

Honestly I think he is significantly better than his stats indicate but I'm not sold that he is more than a good number 2 back. I hope he shows he is a more complete receiver than what we saw last year. His role in the passing game was very Howard-like. 

8 hours ago, G08 said:

I want him to get 25 carries a game, too.

I’m thinking more like 20 touches. I want him more involved in the pass game than he was last year where he’s pretty good. The forcing of Cohen onto the field when he wasn’t productive really at all last year very much limited this and, given Cohen’s lack of diverse ability as a runner, made us far more predictable on offense too. I understood that the whole point of having a RB who can do everything is to actually have him do everything. We didn’t see that nearly enough in 2019. That’s entirely on Nagy. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I wanna see Montgomery behind a competent run blocking OL. I love the way he runs. 

I don't disagree. All I'm saying is while the Bears don't have an RB need (that early anyhow), Akers is going to be good.

23 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

My Jonathan Taylor pipe dream is over. We need another real RB. 

We'd all love him until his 8th fumble.

Wow it looks like the best OL class since at least 2016 at top and deeper, but kicker is it looks like all the really good ones will be gone by time Bears draft.

Mack trade combined with Trubisky miss is really hurting us. 

Pace biggest fault in my eyes (Aside from missing at QB) is his overall poor decisions on OL and TE which became a glaring weakness on an otherwise talented football team.   I can forgive the Trubisky pick even though historically that is his Jordan/Sam Bowie moment, but I can’t the Glennon FA selection.  Glennon was an obvious bum.  

I think Daniels is most talented OL Pace has drafted and his 2nd best was Whitehair.  Both didn’t play great last year, actually Daniels played bad, but I still think they are good football players.  That being said you don’t build NFL O lines from inside out.  You build outside in.  Bears keep picking guards and centers.  

You ignore other simple personnel truths most fans don’t notice:  LBs are made by guys in front of them, WRs are made by QBs, RBs are made by OL.  You can have an Uber talented LB or WR or RB and that’s really nice, but for overall team, and football is ultimate team game, they aren’t as important as their complimentary positions that they rely on.  

Not upgrading Leno and Massie and hanging on to Long too long has really hurt this team. 

If Pace is smart he will upgrade the O line through FA because he isn’t going to survive 2 more bad years of football and MT has no chance of light bulb with no running game and no protection and running game and protection has no chance without better O line play.  

Teams only chance of being good I think is slim chance of MT making marked improvement.  Not impossible in my mind with better frontline play.  MT is a hard worker if he doesn’t lose heart and confidence,  he can get better and be a decent QB.  History of similar situations says he likely won’t though.  

• Like 1