Possible cut casualties?

Skippy

13 hours ago, Skippy said:

I think the difference is is that when Davante and Jordy came up their opportunities were less because of the amount of talent they had to go against. But dang good analysis. You've convinced me to at least bring him to training camp.

Yes.  They did have fewer opportunities early because of the WR corp in place.  No doubt about it.

Then there is the flip side.  Davante and Jordy were second round picks.  MVS was a 5th round pick.  

It kind of evens itself out.

I certainly bring him to camp and to me, he is difficult to cut based on production, contract and future production.

I feel like ESB is the wild card.  He's the one that could prove in camp that he is better and should have that roster spot.  And that depends on whether or not GB signs a good FA WR, and how many Wr's GB drafts.

It'll be interesting for sure.

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

A lot can happen between now and next year, but I have a hard time believing Lazard hasn't earned a spot next year. Things can happen, but right now, he's our #2 WR, so 4-5 guys would have to blow past him for that to happen. 

Lazard is a very good blocker at WR.  He proved it over and over.  He produced nicely when given opportunity.  And to be fair, he should improve this off-season.  I think he's back, no question about it.  And I think he's primed to have a good year regardless of what happens in free agency and the draft.  

In this offense, we seem to like those big WR's that can block.  And he's all of that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like ESB is the wild card.  He's the one that could prove in camp that he is better and should have that roster spot.  And that depends on whether or not GB signs a good FA WR, and how many Wr's GB drafts.

It'll be interesting for sure.

ESB had a great camp and then got hurt. I think our offense is far more explosive with him in it so we're not relying on the Kumerow's of the world.

For something completely different I am going through all the PFF scores of offensive linemen and holy cow do we NOT want to move on from Linsley.  I'm even tempted to keep Taylor as a backup instead of cutting him.  And we HAVE to re-sign Bulaga.

If PFF counts for anything, holy cow are offensive linemen on other teams bad. 

• Like 1

Goodness gracious offensive line play in the NFL is bad.  Billy Turner is looking alright compared to some of these teams.  Not alright, but good.  I've done 10 teams so far and Turner is literally in the top half of guards as far as PFF is concerned.   And one of them is Marshal Yanda.  Linsley is doing pretty well, too.

Alright no more spoilers.  I’ll make a new thread with all my thoughts on it once finished.  

Edited by Outpost31

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Goodness gracious offensive line play in the NFL is bad.  Billy Turner is looking alright compared to some of these teams.  Not alright, but good.  I've done 10 teams so far and Turner is literally in the top half of guards as far as PFF is concerned. 

Agree on keeping the OL as is.  Hoping to resign Bulaga at a reasonable deal, resign Veldheer on the cheap and draft a RT in the draft in the mid rounds.  Give Rodgers all the help possible and let the chips fall where they may.

22 hours ago, Leader said:

EQ. Be calm. He'll be returning :)

I'm a ND guy who really likes EQ (he's better than Claypool IMO) but i'm not counting on a 6th round WR who missed an entire year.

I think we need a reliable #2 option and a high investment in WR.  If we signed Hooper and drafted a WR in round 2 or 3 I'd be happy with it.

7 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

But the question is, bad compared to what? Is there some other football league that has better blocking? “Bad” only has any meaning in relativity. 

Well I'm going through every single starter's PFF score on every team offensively.  Pretty soon they're going to get a look at some perspective in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Well I'm going through every single starter's PFF score on every team offensively.  Pretty soon they're going to get a look at some perspective in the NFL. 

Not this guy.  I know how good Lazard is going to look.  What I'm unsure of is just how much his high blocking score affects his PFF total overall score.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Not this guy.  I know how good Lazard is going to look.  What I'm unsure of is just how much his high blocking score affects his PFF total overall score.

That's what I've noticed.  Blocking has a BIG impact on PFF scores.  ESPECIALLY at TE, which, naturally, makes Graham look awful when he's not.  Results are up shortly. 

Corey Linsley was the 12th highest-rated center in the league. 

His rating was 70. 

The lowest was 51 (2 were rated 51, 5 others rated below 60).
The highest was 81.  No other center was rated 80 or higher.

The highest was Jason Kelce.  So you could do a maximum of 11 points better, but 19 points worse?  And that's the risk you want to save 8.5 million for? 

Minnesota's 1st round pick was rated 58 at center. 

When the highest maximum draft allotment to center drops the position 12 points and when only 11 players are rated higher, you are NOT getting better as a team if you cut Linsley. 

This needs to be put to bed. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Corey Linsley was the 12th highest-rated center in the league. 

His rating was 70. 

The lowest was 51 (2 were rated 51, 5 others rated below 60).
The highest was 81.  No other center was rated 80 or higher.

The highest was Jason Kelce.  So you could do a maximum of 11 points better, but 19 points worse?  And that's the risk you want to save 8.5 million for? 

Minnesota's 1st round pick was rated 58 at center. 

When the highest maximum draft allotment to center drops the position 12 points and when only 11 players are rated higher, you are NOT getting better as a team if you cut Linsley. 

This needs to be put to bed. 

Not making any case here but what if this is a PFF problem and not "OL talent sucks in the league." They're not taking the same "test" as every other position. Like, they're not all taking the same intelligence test and getting lower scores. Then we could go, well OL in this league aren't very smart. It's specific to the position. Methinks you might be reading into the scores across the league as a lack of talent when it could just be a harsher grading system?

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

Not making any case here but what if this is a PFF problem and not "OL talent sucks in the league." They're not taking the same "test" as every other position. Like, they're not all taking the same intelligence test and getting lower scores. Then we could go, well OL in this league aren't very smart. It's specific to the position. Methinks you might be reading into the scores across the league as a lack of talent when it could just be a harsher grading system?

But they’re graded the same way.  I think the most use to be taken out of PFF is OL play.  It’s the only aggregate option we have to compare players across the league.  I’ll grant it’s not entirely reliable for receivers, tight ends, probably not quarterbacks, definitely not secondary play, but as far as OL and DL it’s the best there is, and it’s good enough to gain perspective.  

When you look at it, can you really argue with it?  It’s like... If you had to name 12 centers better than Linsley, could you?  I didn’t recognize literally half the OL names I saw when I did that.  The ones I did were either really good or notoriously bad.  

It’s definitely true with guard, too.  Yeah, Turner wasn’t great, but compared to some starters out there he’s really good.