Possible cut casualties?

Skippy

26 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I would only cut or trade Linsley to recover the money to sign Bulaga or another starting free agent RT. Center is easier to replace and less critical than RT. Right now we have no viable options at RT. Spriggs? No. Pankey? No. Turner? No. RT is a serious hole in the line that needs to be filled. I would sacrifice our starting C to fill the hole at RT and then work to fill the smaller C hole.

This would be the closest I would be to getting on board cutting Linsley but cut Graham and there's plenty of cash to sign any of the T's. Let Linsley walk and get a 5th round pick or something out of the deal. Cutting Linsley makes about zero sense on a realistic roster. It'd make more sense to extend him than cut him.

If we had missed the playoffs again it'd make more sense but we're not exactly a rebuilding team here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

AG's point is also that Rodger's cap hit almost doubles after this year. Regardless of all arguments, it's tough to have that sort of jump and not have extra scrutiny tied to it. 

Agree ... he makes to much money.  Agree .. makes it tougher to have a quality team because of the dollars spent on the position.  Not a darn thing anybody can do about it;  Packer brass made that decision and all have to abide by it.  Nobody likes it .. period.  Point being, scrutinize and point it out all day long ... if it trips your trigger  ... knock yourself out.  By the way, Rodgers has to do better in 2020!!

Edited by coachbuns
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I like Patrick.  But, I think the falloff is very severe.  Concerning him.  I don't know Ruiz.  Thought he played baseball?  :)

OK, I'm fine with your perspective. I'm for getting rid of guys a year too early and not too late. I'm guessing if other teams consider Linsley a top 16 center there would actually be trade value where they might want to extend him. Not sure but it's a possibility. We tend not to re-up 30 something year old offensive linemen. That means this is likely his last year. 

By the way, I named Ruiz but would be fine with Cushenberry or Biadiasz as well. All three are going to be really good NFL interior linemen. Ruiz just happens to be a better athlete. 

Edited by Golfman

If we signed Bulaga and had an interest in a big time DL, that we needed some more space, that is the only scenario in which I'm cutting Linsley.

You don't cut an OL for an ILB, you don't cut him for a TE, WR or RB.

QB, OT, EDGE, DL, CB. These are the positions that are more important than Linsley's. Anything else you cut him for you've just made a hole to fill a less important hole. Older QB, less mobile, making a large sum of your cap space, this is not a scenario in which you tinker with your OL in order to gain money if you're getting what you paid for, as we are with Linsley.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

OK, I'm fine with your perspective. I'm for getting rid of guys a year too early and not too late. I'm guessing if other teams consider Linsley a top 16 center there would actually be trade value where they might want to extend him. Not sure but it's a possibility. We tend not to re-up 30 something year old offensive linemen. That means this is likely his last year. 

By the way, I named Ruiz but would be fine with Cushenberry or Biadiasz as well. All three are going to be really good NFL interior linemen. Ruiz just happens to be a better athlete. 

Now you're using a top 64 pick in a draft loaded with WRs, ILB and DL, all of which you need, on a center, which is a position you did not need. All for 8m bucks that really wasn't needed in the first place. Pass.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm not getting lost in the weeds of who said what where. Not my intent. All I've been saying is the general "AR topic" has been dissected to death - going back to 2018 when we all had "What's going on with him" questions and regurgitated just about every week of 2019.

Fine. There's been reason for the discussion and I've joined many of them, but I dont think any functionally illiterate folks come on here......so, there's a good chance (a real good one...) that people have got it by now. That's all. Not making a major (or new) case here. It's **ALL** been said multiple times already.

That's not a complaint but I do think it's a valid observation.

This ...

Its basically boring. Everyone is entitled to their opinion which is fine but we have done the Rodgers thing. Everyone has their own opinions - there have been a few threads now where AG20 has just rattled off page after page of anti-Rodgers waffle which the majority of people aren't remotely interested in. He doesn't listen to any counter arguments so there is no point discussing it with him so you just have to skip pages till he shuts up about it. If he wants to discuss it then great do it in the Rodgers thread but if people want to discuss other things then he needs to just let them.

Re Linsley ...  I don't want to give him a 3rd contract but not in favour of cutting him and creating a new hole or you are just chasing your own tail forever. However ... we may be looking at a Lane Taylor situation. If Gute believes Patrick can start at Centre and be adequate then it would make sense to free up the cash. The front office know better than anyone here what his potential is so if that's what they plan to do then happy to back them.  Otherwise if we don't have someone lined up to take-over then not in favour of cutting Linsley.

@mikemike778, I disagree with the assessment that the front office knows more.  They are certainly privy to more information, but to say they KNOW more (and this might be semantics) is wrong.  They signed Lowry to an extension and cut Daniels.  They kept Cobb, cut Jordy and signed Graham.  This front office has made several mistakes with its own players, so to suggest they know better is false.  

While they might be impressed with Patrick and have faith in him, if they were to cut Linsley in favor of Patrick, it might not be the best move.  

On 01/03/2020 at 4:08 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Dude, you understand that the purpose of cutting players is to:

1. Achieve salary cap relief to target another player.

2. Open up a roster spot.

3. Remove a toxic personality from the locker room. 

And #2 doesn't have an impact before the start of the regular season. If that's the reason they're gone, they end up a camp cut.

Lowry, despite being mediocre all year, was still our second best DL guy. You get negative cap space from cutting him.

Scantling makes pocket change. There's no point in cutting him. He's also 25 years old and was on pace for 900 yards through the first seven games of the season. He's also the only guy in our WR corps with any deep speed. You know, the thing you all bitched incessantly about us lacking.

Actually this is a bit short sighted. Without wanting it to be a pure anti-AG20 rant.

Cutting Lowry (which I don't advocate) isn't just about the 2020 cap hit. He has a contract longer than 2020, the bonus money is paid and will count against the cap at some point whether its accelerated or not. Sure if you cut him then the cap savings in 2020 is nothing but the rest of the contract including the remaining bonus money is off the books as well in future years.

The only thing that should matter (certainly for the cap guys) is how much non-guaranteed 2020 money we are paying him and whether he is worth that money. By my calculations we save (long term) 3.7m from cutting him in return for his services this year.  He isn't terrible so for that money we should keep him as the last thing we need is another hole.

Re MVS - agree 100% that would be a silly cut, maybe on roster cut down day its another matter but we don't know who we will have then.

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Actually this is a bit short sighted. Without wanting it to be a pure anti-AG20 rant.

Cutting Lowry (which I don't advocate) isn't just about the 2020 cap hit. He has a contract longer than 2020, the bonus money is paid and will count against the cap at some point whether its accelerated or not. Sure if you cut him then the cap savings in 2020 is nothing but the rest of the contract including the remaining bonus money is off the books as well in future years.

The only thing that should matter (certainly for the cap guys) is how much non-guaranteed 2020 money we are paying him and whether he is worth that money. By my calculations we save (long term) 3.7m from cutting him in return for his services this year.  He isn't terrible so for that money we should keep him as the last thing we need is another hole.

Re MVS - agree 100% that would be a silly cut, maybe on roster cut down day its another matter but we don't know who we will have then.

You just used a lot of words to agree with me. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Nobody actually cares about 2022. This entire thread is the result of two things: people being off-season bored and sick of looking at the same spreadsheet, and people having their feelings hurt and wanting to be punitive towards players they think underachieved last year. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@mikemike778, I disagree with the assessment that the front office knows more.  They are certainly privy to more information, but to say they KNOW more (and this might be semantics) is wrong.  They signed Lowry to an extension and cut Daniels.  They kept Cobb, cut Jordy and signed Graham.  This front office has made several mistakes with its own players, so to suggest they know better is false.  

While they might be impressed with Patrick and have faith in him, if they were to cut Linsley in favor of Patrick, it might not be the best move.  

The front office knows more than us ... they are professionals and see the players far more, they are paid to make these decisions if they aren't better able to make them then there is something seriously wrong. I think it would be incredibly arrogant for anyone here to suggest they know better. We will get some things right they get wrong but they will get more right overall.  If not then they aren't fit to do their job.

This sort of thing is always a gamble. There isn't unlimited money so there will be players you put out there that you have to hope they can step up and there is going to be an element of luck involved.

Maybe the only way we can afford to re-sign Clark is to give Patrick a go.  Maybe we can keep Jones if Patrick works out. Maybe it comes down to Bulaga or Linsley. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You just used a lot of words to agree with me. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Nobody actually cares about 2022. This entire thread is the result of two things: people being off-season bored and sick of looking at the same spreadsheet, and people having their feelings hurt and wanting to be punitive towards players they think underachieved last year. 

That's pretty much true for fans - you would like to think the cap guys are looking at it a bit more deeply. But yeah everyone is bored obviously.

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Break this into two different things.

The front office know more, almost certainly a lot more than fans. However, they have to interpret what they know. Sometimes that interpretation is faulty and sometimes it works well.

I have to say that although the savings are tempting, i think I'd keep Linsley for his final year and decide after 2020 whether to try for another contract (and on balance, at this time, I'd most likely move on).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Lol this is funny. 

Honestly think Patrick is a bigger cut candidate (~1mil) than Linsley. 

Good idea for a thread in theory. But the fact is we have approximately 2 guys as cut candidates and one of them isn’t exactly a given.

If GB signed Lucas Patrick to an extension On DEC 28th to then cut him 3-4 months later, I am not sure how that can  be explained

• Like 1