Possible cut casualties?

Skippy

8 hours ago, Skippy said:

I only brought up Lowry initially because his playtime seemed to get cut down the stretch and to me he seemed a little out of favor. 

Yeah, none of this is accurate. He played his second highest game by percentage of snaps in week 16. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I love Linsley , really do . It’s odd to me where people don’t want to ‘pay RBs’ or pay for a MLB but are comfortable paying a C.

The idea that we trade Linsley isn’t far fetched . We didn’t pay guys like Scott Wells and Evan Diethrich Smith while they were still pretty well. 

They also signed Patrick not too long ago. They obviously like him and see him as a C. 

The thing is, to me you don't cut Corey Linsey in favor of Patrick while also not using the cap savings from cutting Lisney to resign Bulaga and then go into the free agency period and use the cap to attack WR, ILB, IDL and fail to touch the OL.  I would agree with cutting Linsey IF those cap savings were strictly put to taking care of the RT position. Outside of that? You can't convince me it's a smart move or the best move for this franchise in general. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

The thing is, to me you don't cut Corey Linsey in favor of Patrick while also not using the cap savings from cutting Lisney to resign Bulaga and then go into the free agency period and use the cap to attack WR, ILB, IDL and fail to touch the OL.  I would agree with cutting Linsey IF those cap savings were strictly put to taking care of the RT position. Outside of that? You can't convince me it's a smart move or the best move for this franchise in general. 

I understand your concern. 

I know there's a lot more factors that go into this but if the Linsley money allows us to re-sign Bulaga and get that ILB or secondary receiving option than I'm all for it.

Linsley is probably not coming back next year, just going off of history. I'm pretty sure we can trade him and get some value.

C is a lot easier to find than OT. You can find one in the mid rounds, easy.

They gave Patrick a second contract. I'm willing to bet they see him as a C. He wasn't good enough as a guard to keep him, and he certainly isn't a tackle. I think they feel comfortable with him at C. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Based on what? Even if we add a body in free agency and the early rounds of the draft, that still puts him as WR5 at worst? 

Next year will be the ultimate test/factor for MVS.  He either gets better or gets cut ... hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Mvs is the next Fackrell

I still have faith in MVS as a niche third wide. He has blow the top off speed. Had the drops, injuries, and lost confidence.  The expectations last year that he’d be an adequate 2 were just way too high for a year 2 6th pick. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if he takes a step and has like 800 yards on 50 catches this year. It will likely be him, Lazard, and round 2 pick fighting for 2/3 wr targets with a Kumerow or late round pick rounding things out

Player A:  First year.  33 receptions, 366 yards.  2 TD.  Second year.  22 receptions 320 yards.  2 TD's.

Player B:  First year.  38 receptions, 446 yards.  3 TD.  Second year.  50 receptions 483 yards.  1 TD

Player C:  First year.  38 receptions, 581 yards.  2 TD.  Second year.  26 receptions 452 yards.  2 TD.

A is Jordy Nelson.  B is Davante Adams.  C is Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Dude needs to be on the roster next year.  It takes time to become a good NFL WR.

MVS was a later round pick than Nelson or Adams.  True that MVS may have had more opportunity, the fact is this...his production isn't too far off from the other two.  And the other two are darned good.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Player A:  First year.  33 receptions, 366 yards.  2 TD.  Second year.  22 receptions 320 yards.  2 TD's.

Player B:  First year.  38 receptions, 446 yards.  3 TD.  Second year.  50 receptions 483 yards.  1 TD

Player C:  First year.  38 receptions, 581 yards.  2 TD.  Second year.  26 receptions 452 yards.  2 TD.

A is Jordy Nelson.  B is Davante Adams.  C is Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Dude needs to be on the roster next year.  It takes time to become a good NFL WR.

MVS was a later round pick than Nelson or Adams.  True that MVS may have had more opportunity, the fact is this...his production isn't too far off from the other two.  And the other two are darned good.  

I’ve been saying it for a long time.  He got to a point this year where it was obvious it wasn’t coming together this year, but that’s not the end for him.

The VAST majority of NFL receivers hit their stride in year three.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’ve been saying it for a long time.  He got to a point this year where it was obvious it wasn’t coming together this year, but that’s not the end for him.

The VAST majority of NFL receivers hit their stride in year three.  

Hopefully you are correct and it does come together for him this year;  think most are willing to give him this year to find out.  If it does … wonderful,  if it doesn't, time to cut bait and move on. 

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Hopefully you are correct and it does come together for him this year;  think most are willing to give him this year to find out.  If it does … wonderful,  if it doesn't, time to cut bait and move on. 

If his "floor" is 400 yards and a couple of TD, that is a great WR5 or later on any roster.  And MVS has 2 more seasons on his rookie deal, which pays him very little in the grand scheme of things.

I think he's a tough guy to remove from that WR room for the next two years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Frankly, MVS could probably have 100 receiving yards this coming season and still be on the team for the next.  That’s if I’m not mistaken and MVS plays special teams.  For comparison, MVS’s last season he had nearly three times as many yards as Jeff Janis’ entire career and we kept Janis for 4 years.

Teams don’t cut mid round rookies with special teams value.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Frankly, MVS could probably have 100 receiving yards this coming season and still be on the team for the next.  That’s if I’m not mistaken and MVS plays special teams.  For comparison, MVS’s last season he had nearly three times as many yards as Jeff Janis’ entire career and we kept Janis for 4 years.

Teams don’t cut mid round rookies with special teams value.  

If MVS is decent on special teams, no problem keeping him.  Janis was a jag, shows how bad the wr's were then.  Hoping MVS turns out more than just a special teams contributor though;  He has talent ... can he get his crap together?