Possible cut casualties?

Skippy

56 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

But they’re graded the same way.  I think the most use to be taken out of PFF is OL play.  It’s the only aggregate option we have to compare players across the league.  I’ll grant it’s not entirely reliable for receivers, tight ends, probably not quarterbacks, definitely not secondary play, but as far as OL and DL it’s the best there is, and it’s good enough to gain perspective.  

When you look at it, can you really argue with it?  It’s like... If you had to name 12 centers better than Linsley, could you?  I didn’t recognize literally half the OL names I saw when I did that.  The ones I did were either really good or notoriously bad.  

It’s definitely true with guard, too.  Yeah, Turner wasn’t great, but compared to some starters out there he’s really good.

They just seem lower on average than every other position, as if it's the worst position group out there for starters. 

As far as how they line up for rankings, I'm not arguing with that. It's the ratings that somehow feel like it makes many guys look like they're trash when I'm not sure they are. If that makes sense

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Corey Linsley was the 12th highest-rated center in the league. 

His rating was 70. 

The lowest was 51 (2 were rated 51, 5 others rated below 60).
The highest was 81.  No other center was rated 80 or higher.

The highest was Jason Kelce.  So you could do a maximum of 11 points better, but 19 points worse?  And that's the risk you want to save 8.5 million for? 

Minnesota's 1st round pick was rated 58 at center. 

When the highest maximum draft allotment to center drops the position 12 points and when only 11 players are rated higher, you are NOT getting better as a team if you cut Linsley. 

This needs to be put to bed. 

Hypothetical for you!

We trade Linsley for a 3rd. Not far fetched for a top 12 center in the league. 

Patrick grades our at a 70. 

The 3rd round pick is an inside linebacker who starts for us and play well.

The cash we saved on Linsley, plus a little gets us another really good defensive D-lineman, say Roy Robertson-Harris or even a little better. 

Are we a better team as a result or worse? 

On 3/5/2020 at 1:08 PM, Joe said:

ESB had a great camp and then got hurt. I think our offense is far more explosive with him in it so we're not relying on the Kumerow's of the world.

He did? Really? There was talk he was on the bubble. I mean, I'm hoping for the best, but I don't remember his TC the same way you do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Hypothetical for you!

We trade Linsley for a 3rd. Not far fetched for a top 12 center in the league. 

Patrick grades our at a 70. 

The 3rd round pick is an inside linebacker who starts for us and play well.

The cash we saved on Linsley, plus a little gets us another really good defensive D-lineman, say Roy Robertson-Harris or even a little better. 

Are we a better team as a result or worse? 

I win lottery.

Jane Levy falls on hard times with her acting career.

We bump into each other on vacation in Hawaii and live happily ever after.

Win lottery again.

Jane Levy wants constant threesomes.

Jurassic Park is remade as an HBO miniseries event.

Packers win 13 of next 15 Super Bowls.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I win lottery.

Jane Levy falls on hard times with her acting career.

We bump into each other on vacation in Hawaii and live happily ever after.

Win lottery again.

Jane Levy wants constant threesomes.

Jurassic Park is remade as an HBO miniseries event.

Packers win 13 of next 15 Super Bowls.

None of what I suggested is really that far fetched. 

By the way, Jane wants the threesome with you and another dude so good luck with that! 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Golfman said:

He did? Really? There was talk he was on the bubble. I mean, I'm hoping for the best, but I don't remember his TC the same way you do. 

I thought and read he had not done much i was surprised that someone posted he had a good camp. Never really heard his name much at all and have no real idea what he can do if we are going to be a run first team and he can block maybe he sticks but he was doing slot work the year before last hard to say really to me not an ideal slot. Now if he can play outside and Lazard sticks maybe DA plays more slot which to me is fine.

49 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't quite get the love for ESB I see from many GB fans.  Given the injury he suffered, I expect it's as likely that his career is effectively over as he will ever rise as high as WR3 for the Packers.

He’s an intriguing prospect no doubt, but yeah ever since his injury it seems like his stock around here has skyrocketed. He has an uphill battle to even make the team next year IMO. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

There wasnt any such talk coming from "the industry" - it was going on in here and put forward by the Kumerow and Shepard camps.

"We cant cut either of those guys!"

You notice how deathly quiet they both became.

EQ is a unique talent who showed promise to be built upon his rookie year.

He didnt have a bad 2019 camp. Just quiet - which doesnt mean he played himself off the roster.

I'm hopeful as always he'll be able to put it together this year and do good things for us.

Edited by Leader