2020 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting 3-Tech DT

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-tech?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-tech?

• Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting 3-tech
    • Promote Jalyn Holmes
    • Promote Hercules Mata'afa
    • Keep Shamar Stephen as the starter
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

Next up, the starting 3-technique DT...

2019 depth at the position:  Shamar Stephen, Jalyn Holmes, Hercules Mata'afa

2020 Outgoing Free Agents: None

Potential Free Agents Available: Mike Daniels, Jordan Phillips, A'Shawn Robinson, Maliek Collins

Potential Draftees:  Javon Kinlaw, Ross Blacklock, Justin Madubuike, Raekwon Davis, McTelvin Agim

Now we know that there isn't a lot of money to spend in the free agent market, but what should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I am not real thrilled with it given what he has shown but I am promoting Holmes. The Vikings do not have the cap space to sign a guy much better so they might as well go with the cheap rookie. I doubt Mata'afa beats him out but if he does that is fine too. Maybe they platoon the position.

It would be better if the team had a stronger depth candidate or could afford a free agent but that is not where they are at and I prioritize the free agent money towards the offensive line given the state of that situation. 

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

For me, this is a draft. I think that there are some solid prospects, we just shouldn't wait for the 4th. I'd love Kinlaw to fall to the Vikings.

It'll be a longshot but I'd be ecstatic with that.

Holmes and Johnson are okay but are just depth pieces from what I've seen.

Mata'afa isn't good. Like at all.

I wouldn’t mind completely blowing up the DT group. I think the Vikes must draft a 3T early, but I’d also look to an older vet, someone like Mike Daniels as an option too given that 3T tends to have a steeper learning curve. Daniels and a highly touted rookie next to Joseph or Stephen, with Odinigbo (my guess is Griffen returns), Watts and Johnson In the mix wouldn’t be terrible.

Edited by vikingsrule

I think the draft is the way to go on this one especially since it sounds like the Chiefs will franchise Chris Jones. I feel we'll have adequate depth with Holmes and Jaleel but no bona-fide starter.

Round 1 targets: Brown, Kinlaw (very unlikely they're available at 25) Gallimore (OU) and Blacklock (TCU) (both should be available at 25)

Round 2 targets: Sounds like Madubuike (Texas A&M) had a good combine, Marlon Davidson (Auburn), I'd also like to see what Coach Patterson could do with a player like Raekwon Davis.

Draft and wouldn't mind getting Daniels especially if cut Linval. This draft has a lot of potential pass-rushing DT and this team desperately need one. Please no mid/late-round pick. Stephen for the amount given was a bad resigning. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

Kinlaw would be ideal but he won't make it to the Vikings' pick.  I wouldn't hesitate to take Blacklock or Madubuike in the first (and I hope that's where we go) and there's a few guys that might be there in the 2nd that would start from day one.  If we stay put, it's as likely a DT as a CB imo.  

10 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

Kinlaw would be ideal but he won't make it to the Vikings' pick.  I wouldn't hesitate to take Blacklock or Madubuike in the first (and I hope that's where we go) and there's a few guys that might be there in the 2nd that would start from day one.  If we stay put, it's as likely a DT as a CB imo.  

I personally would favor the DT in the first round, considering how thin the position is this year.  The CB class is deep enough that they could get one later.  So, I agree with most here that drafting the 3-tech is the best option...and hopefully, it'll be early.  

11 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

We all know Kinlaw would be a dream, but as others have mentioned, he will not be available at 25. 
Could someone @Ozzy please give us less informed guys a breakdown of the next available 3T prospects; e.g. Blacklock and Madubuike (mentioned above)?

I typically go to thedraftnetwork.com...some of the guys, I believe, are more accurate than others, but they can give you at least some idea.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ross-blacklock/t7ydLnDRk4

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-madubuike/xpRhCFjTkz

I lean towards Blacklock, since he appears to be more suited towards being a 3T and is more like the kind of guy that Zimmer likes, but Madubuike can play anywhere.  

• Like 1