Saints place 1st round tender on QB Taysom Hill

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, N4L said:

This lowers his contract offers from other teams. No one is going to pay him AND give up a frp. That's too high of compensation. 

By creating a high barrier to entry, they just surpressed his market and lowered his 'market value' compensation

Saints will now wait for other teams to come give hill a reality check instead of a check for tens of millions of dollars, and increase the saints negotiating position (because no one is going to offer him anything or risk trading the saints a first for him) 

So essentially, the saints became the only show in town for hill and he will basically have to accept what they give him, for this season at least. 

Saints get a gadget player backup QB for 5 million. Good deal for them 

It would be surprising to see any team make an offer now.   A 30 year old RFA who fits one O really well might have some interest if the price is right.    A 1st is not even close to value shopping for teams.    

On the other hand, if no great offer is coming ... Hill wouldn't be crazy to simply just take the tender.   Because next year, the Saints would have to tag him to keep him....as a QB.    It's obviously a risk, but if Hill is being used as a gadget guy this year, then his risk also goes down.    It's obviously riskier at 31, but if Hill really thinks the Saints see him as Brees' successor....then he should bet on himself and next year's tag.    I'd be confident that at 28M, getting 2/34 is his floor if the Saints really see him that way.

I have no certainty he'll work out as a full-time QB - but the Saints are gambling that their control for 2020 at age 30 will induce Hill to sign a very team-friendly long-term deal.     If the plan is really for him to be Brees' successor - then he should bet on himself, given the ceiling for even an "average" QB hitting the FA market.   

Edited by Broncofan

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's more that gadget/utility role.

Yup
And with only 46 active on Sunday - a guy who can do several things really well is worth his weight in gold in managing the game-day roster
Hill's ability to be competent at QB is an iceberg of icing on the cake.
Given his speed and the run/pass option I'd think he'd better than Brees on a 2pt conversions

I can't be the only guy who thinks he's only good because of the situations Payton puts him in. I wouldn't trust him AT ALL to be my QB for an entire game. He's just a good athlete and has a tonne of drive/heart. There are lots of guys who could be as useful as him if given the chance. Paying him anywhere near QB-level money would be a mistake

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The saints should just draft Jalen Hurts and let Hill walk tbh

Payton has a huge man crush on Hill, that won’t happen 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them bring in Hurts (or someone cut from a similar cloth, but you can’t beat Hurts) but Hill isn’t going anywhere until someone pries him from Payton’s cold dead hands 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I can't be the only guy who thinks he's only good because of the situations Payton puts him in. I wouldn't trust him AT ALL to be my QB for an entire game.

Not only are you not alone, but you’re in the vast majority 

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Payton has a huge man crush on Hill, that won’t happen 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them bring in Hurts (or someone cut from a similar cloth, but you can’t beat Hurts) but Hill isn’t going anywhere until someone pries him from Payton’s cold dead hands 

Hurts will probably cost a draft pick. I'd actually bet on someone like Arizona's Khalil Tate - probably a more dynamic athlete than Hurts, but not nearly as known. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hurts will probably cost a draft pick. I'd actually bet on someone like Arizona's Khalil Tate - probably a more dynamic athlete than Hurts, but not nearly as known. 

Oh yeah, I’m aware. “Bring them in” meant drafting him. I think Hurts goes early Day 3, I’d be OK with the Saints taking him there if Payton sees him as a guy like Hill.

I wouldn’t want them to take him before the 4th though  

and I have heard a little of Tate, mostly while researching college QBs who won’t make it as NFL QBs looking for the next Taysom 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

and I have heard a little of Tate, mostly while researching college QBs who won’t make it as NFL QBs looking for the next Taysom 

I like Tate, a long strider-type athlete with an eye to find the open lane while running. He feels out the path to least resistance and just looks effortless as he accelerates, it's very reminiscent of how guys like Arian Foster used to run.

He'll make a fine utility player for somebody, if they get creative.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I like Tate, a long strider-type athlete with an eye to find the open lane while running. He feels out the path to least resistance and just looks effortless as he accelerates, it's very reminiscent of how guys like Arian Foster used to run.

He'll make a fine utility player for somebody, if they get creative.

One of the things I like about Taysom is when he gets in the open field he looks for the next fool to truck 

it’s going to break his collar bone one of these times, he’s got 5 season ending college injuries to prove he knows how to get hurt....

but god damn its fun to watch a “Quarterback” truck someone and get up grinning like he just won the lottery 

• Like 2