NFL/XFL/CFB and COVID-19

brushmyhair

6 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Survival of the fittest. Our species has long gotten lazy. Time to go back to our hunter-gatherer roots.

Ehhh unless we clean up the climate, we’ll all be gone soon anyways. The human brain is the most amazing thing in the universe. Like, it doesn’t even make sense how intelligent and complex the human brain is. But our one glaring flaw is selfishness outweighs long-term survival for the human brain. Literally insane it’s designed that way. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Ehhh unless we clean up the climate, we’ll all be gone soon anyways. The human brain is the most amazing thing in the universe. Like, it doesn’t even make sense how intelligent and complex the human brain is. But our one glaring flaw is selfishness outweighs long-term survival for the human brain. Literally insane it’s designed that way. 

I thought it was stated we aren't going to talk about Fake News?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is the type of comment I was actually referring to here. Yes your chances of dying, being a young healthy person, is like 1% topps, but you don’t know you are infected for 6-24 days. And during those 6-24 days, you are passing it on to other people like the elderly. This is insensitive. Not taking proper CDC precautions of not getting it, and not caring if you get it, is really insensitive to others. 

This is the point I was making in previous posts. 

So what are we supposed to do? I wash my hands and don't cough in peoples faces. If an old person gets sick sorry. There are plenty of other ways for old people to get sick and die. Is your brother going to protect them from all these diseases? The Flu still kills thousands of people a year and the flu shot only protects against one strand of the virus. I doubt you have to worry about old people attending an NFL Draft anyways outside of the players that retired decades ago and Terry Bradshaw. I'm going to continue to live my life and if I get sick I'll stay inside like I do for every other sickness I've had in my life.

The NBA has suspended their season after a player tested positive. I can't see the NFL draft continuing as we know it. The NFL will likely wait to announce anything, but I can't imagine them holding festivities.

Edited by kingseanjohn

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Another one

To be fair, this is a mental health spare for Sharks fans, too.  Prematurely saves them having to go through the inevitable of the team choking early in the playoffs again.  Then again, the Sharks were already doing that with the way they're playing this year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

So what are we supposed to do? I wash my hands and don't cough in peoples faces. If an old person gets sick sorry. There are plenty of other ways for old people to get sick and die. Is your brother going to protect them from all these diseases? The Flu still kills thousands of people a year and the flu shot only protects against one strand of the virus. I doubt you have to worry about old people attending an NFL Draft anyways outside of the players that retired decades ago and Terry Bradshaw. I'm going to continue to live my life and if I get sick I'll stay inside like I do for every other sickness I've had in my life.

It’s a sensitive walking line because I have no business telling you what to do with your life. But the point is, going to a big event like the draft, probability of you getting infected is high. You won’t know if you get infected for 6-24 days, therefore you will infect several elderly, probably killing some. I view it as insensitive, but I’m in no way taking a shot at you, just my opinion overall on the situation. 

Odds the draft happening with fans are like 5% anyways. 

Edited by BayRaider

9 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Technically "the flu" doesn't kill people.  It's a precursor that can cause someone infected with the virus to develop pneumonia and that's what kills them.  Influenza itself hasn't killed people in large numbers since the Hong Kong flu pandemic in the late 60's.  And with the flu, it's the replication rate that really is the concern because you can see large numbers of mutations of the virus in a very quick span of time, making it extraordinarily difficult to contain.  That was the case with the Hong Kong pandemic because the reproduction rate clocked in at 1.8 (normal seasonal flu strains, typically A/H3N2 or A/H1N1, have a reproduction rate in the high 1.2's) the highest since the very first influenza pandemic in 1889.  The reproduction rate for COVID 19 hasn't been calculated yet, but it's safe to make an educated assumption that, based off influenza having a shorter gestational period (time between infection and when symptoms present), that the human effect in spreading the virus is very likely to serve to increase the reproduction rate over that of any flu virus because of what @BayRaider was referring to - people can be infected, carrying, and transmitting the virus (i.e. infecting others) without knowing they have it because they haven't presented symptoms.

As to what you can do?  Be considerate of others.  Be cognizant that even if you may never present symptoms, you may be carrying or transmitting to others.  And recognize that, while it may not be for you, this is serious for others - so don't make light of what's going on for the benefit of "getting a (assumed) laugh" from others, because it trivializes the issue (and because the average person is dumb and the more you trivialize stuff the more likely dumb people are inclined to bye into misinformation that may end up hurting them or others).

• Like 8

We should care because A) we're human beings with empathy and preventing a pandemic before it causes massive, PREVENTABLE deaths is something we should be willing to sacrifice ******* entertainment products for. And B) Because the health care system in the US is already at 65-70% occupancy at any given moment of any given day, and a pandemic that brings it to 100% occupancy does more than just hurt people who get COVID, you get people dying of other manageable, preventable diseases because doctors literally cannot find a bed to sit them on to see them.

• Like 5