Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Bills acquire WR Stefon Diggs

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Grabbing a WR whose strength plays into Allen's weakness was stupid

Allen cant throw a deep ball. Diggs wasn't the WR we needed. Contract is nice but we over paid and have taken ourselves out of Lamb and Jeudy

Isn’t that what you would want though? Guys to help each other grow off of their weaknesses to become better all around??

We took ourselves out of the running for a few rookie WR isn’t a big deal. What have they proven at the NFL level? Would we have been able to even get them? They could both potentially bust out and become nothing. Besides, rookie WR generally don’t develop or come on strong until years 2-3 in the league. Atleast with Diggs you know what you have right now instead of the gamble of the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This trade on draft day gets the Bills to pick 18.

So if this is an over payment what the heck would some of you called trading up for a rookie? Not every GM is BOB and going to throw away talent for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Grabbing a WR whose strength plays into Allen's weakness was stupid

Allen cant throw a deep ball. Diggs wasn't the WR we needed. Contract is nice but we over paid and have taken ourselves out of Lamb and Jeudy

He isn't just a deep threat. He is basically a better version of Stevie Johnson was for us.

Also people said the same thing about Beasley last year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also was just reading that he has been #1 in the league for contested catches for the past three seasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

He isn't just a deep threat. He is basically a better version of Stevie Johnson was for us.

Also people said the same thing about Beasley last year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Clearly.. Never said he was but I feel we need a WR with a large catching radius and who can high point balls better. More of a redzone target. Diggs contract is dope and what not but unless McBeane has more moves for us. I'm not to sure about this acquisition.  We shall see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Clearly.. Never said he was but I feel we need a WR with a large catching radius and who can high point balls better. More of a redzone target. Diggs contract is dope and what not but unless McBeane has more moves for us. I'm not to sure about this acquisition.  We shall see

I saw on Twitter Diggs has the highest contested catch rate of any WR over the last 3 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I saw on Twitter Diggs has the highest contested catch rate of any WR over the last 3 years. 

What Diggs doesn't have in size and jump ability, his elite route running and elite ability to create separation more than makes up for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What Diggs doesn't have in size and jump ability, his elite route running and elite ability to create separation more than makes up for it.

And thats why i think Bills targetted him. 2 years ago we had Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin. Tall big bodied receivers who couldnt create separation. Its why we went after John Brown and Cole Beasley. They were small and #2 and #3 type recievers but they were able to create space with speed and route running abilities. People assume we were gonna go after a big body reciever when i think we are just lookjng for guys who can create separation regardless of size. Route running is one of the most important aspects of a reciever. If you are an elite route runner you will always find a way to get open and make catches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my opinion on this. I would have rather gone after Hopkins however the price tag he is commanding on a new deal is pretty rich, if Diggs stays at the price tag he is at I am good with it. I dont care about giving up the 1st and 5th and 6th rd. More then likely the 5th and 6th would have been ammo to move up or the players wouldnt make this roster, the bills have depth and spending the 2 picks on players would mean that they would likely get cut. The bills have a 5th and 2 6th remaining so plenty of picks left in the draft. 

The bills were NEVER going to be able to land Jeudy or Lamb at 22 and for those thinking they will fall isn't likely going to happen and is wishful thinking. Moving up to get them would have cost the bills more then just pick 22 and a 5th rd pick closer to 2 first rd picks. So they ended up getting their #1 wr they needed and still have draft capital to land another on in the the mid rounds. All in all the deal was okay, if diggs keeps his mouth and thumbs shut on social media and takes in the culture the bills have built at the price he currently has it is a win. Would have much rather given those picks to Houston for Hopkins. No other Wr is a definite starter at the #1 position in the draft outside of those 2 guys in which the bills werent going to be able to land. They now can grab one in the draft groom him to be something special without the pressure of trying to be the #1 wr on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very confused by the people saying this is an overpay?

We have Diggs under contract for the next 4 years on a team friendly deal. 

Diggs next 4 years >>>> anyone we would've selected at 22 the next 4 years

I don't care about getting rid of day 3 picks. 

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Singletary, Knox with our OL should be very nice and gives Allen NO excuses. We'll be able to see if JA is our franchise guy this year. Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Here is my opinion on this. I would have rather gone after Hopkins however the price tag he is commanding on a new deal is pretty rich, if Diggs stays at the price tag he is at I am good with it. I dont care about giving up the 1st and 5th and 6th rd. More then likely the 5th and 6th would have been ammo to move up or the players wouldnt make this roster, the bills have depth and spending the 2 picks on players would mean that they would likely get cut. The bills have a 5th and 2 6th remaining so plenty of picks left in the draft. 

The bills were NEVER going to be able to land Jeudy or Lamb at 22 and for those thinking they will fall isn't likely going to happen and is wishful thinking. Moving up to get them would have cost the bills more then just pick 22 and a 5th rd pick closer to 2 first rd picks. So they ended up getting their #1 wr they needed and still have draft capital to land another on in the the mid rounds. All in all the deal was okay, if diggs keeps his mouth and thumbs shut on social media and takes in the culture the bills have built at the price he currently has it is a win. Would have much rather given those picks to Houston for Hopkins. No other Wr is a definite starter at the #1 position in the draft outside of those 2 guys in which the bills werent going to be able to land. They now can grab one in the draft groom him to be something special without the pressure of trying to be the #1 wr on the team.

Regarding Jeudy and Lamb, you can't say we were NEVER going to land them. Also, you cannot possibly say moving up to get them will cost two first round picks either. Players fall. And with the Cardinals getting Hopkins it all but guarantees they don't take a WR, pushing one of the two down the board. Moving from 22 to the teens would not cost an additional first. Just look at our own team two years ago with Edmunds. We moved a first and third to move from 22 to 16 and got a fifth back too. We could probably get near pick 10 or 11 with our first and second round picks. Would I want to do that? Probably not depending on the remaining FA moves, but it could've been possible. 

 

All in all I think we made a smart gamble on Diggs given his contract and that he's already a proven player. Think the price is fair on both sides. I don't love that he's a diva and I worry about his body language when the inevitable inaccurate throw comes his way once in awhile. I think every single team would've taken a similar deal that the Cardinals got if the pieces lined up. Hopkins is clearly > Diggs. I have a feeling Bill O'Brien values David Johnson significantly more than what he's actually worth. He's an idiot. Gotta be hard to be a Texans fan right now.  

I'm still bummed about losing the first round pick just because of the excitement around the quality players you can get with them. It stings a bit less considering where we were picking. 

Edited by NickChowaniec

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

Very confused by the people saying this is an overpay?

We have Diggs under contract for the next 4 years on a team friendly deal. 

Diggs next 4 years >>>> anyone we would've selected at 22 the next 4 years

I don't care about getting rid of day 3 picks. 

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Singletary, Knox with our OL should be very nice and gives Allen NO excuses. We'll be able to see if JA is our franchise guy this year. Love it!

We still need a big bodied/red zone target imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Regarding Jeudy and Lamb, you can't say we were NEVER going to land them. Also, you cannot possibly say moving up to get them will cost two first round picks either. Players fall. And with the Cardinals getting Hopkins it all but guarantees they don't take a WR, pushing one of the two down the board. Moving from 22 to the teens would not cost an additional first. Just look at our own team two years ago with Edmunds. We moved a first and third to move from 22 to 16 and got a fifth back too. We could probably get near pick 10 or 11 with our first and second round picks. Would I want to do that? Probably not depending on the remaining FA moves, but it could've been possible. 

 

All in all I think we made a smart gamble on Diggs given his contract and that he's already a proven player. Think the price is fair on both sides. I don't love that he's a diva and I worry about his body language when the inevitable inaccurate throw comes his way once in awhile. I think every single team would've taken a similar deal that the Cardinals got if the pieces lined up. Hopkins is clearly > Diggs. I have a feeling Bill O'Brien values David Johnson significantly more than what he's actually worth. He's an idiot. Gotta be hard to be a Texans fan right now.  

I'm still bummed about losing the first round pick just because of the excitement around the quality players you can get with them. It stings a bit less considering where we were picking. 

To clarify I said never going to land them at 22 not saying they were never going to land them at general. Cardinals may not get a WR but new teams will such as the niners after tradings Buckner and receiving Colts pick. Giants need a WR could be had at 4, Carolina May go after one at 7 with their new qb in Bridgewater they are clearly in rebuild and can go BPA, Jets at 11 have no weapons and just landed a Tackle in free agency, Raiders at 12 need a wr, Niners at 13, Denver at 15 could potentially get someone opposite to sutton. The odds of one of those 2 guys falling outside of 15 are slim to none, we will see in 6 weeks if those guys would have been at 16 or later. By making this move now you are not gambling on one of those two falling that far for them to then find a trade partner willing to accept a 3rd rd pick in order to trade back. I understand people like using previous drafts as a template for trades, but each draft is different and the value is always changing based on the talent that is there. With a draft having 4-5 QBs projected to go in the 1st round and several Wr it could be difficult to make the move. Giving up the 1st can be difficult but you land your #1 WR without the risk. We can agree on Diggs being a #1 wr in this league no? Plus Diggs is a veteran and is polished to where you know what your going to get in the guy as he is one of the better route runners in the league which can cause separation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s another way to look at it too:

Diggs & 7th for 1st, 4th, Wyatt Teller & Russell Bodine. 
 
Love it more now that it’s seen that way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×