Vikings trade WR Diggs to Bills

RaidersAreOne

On 7/8/2020 at 8:00 AM, vike daddy said:

One player has expressed his concern about playing while COVID-19 cases continue to rise in many places with no vaccine in sight.

Bills receiver Stefon Diggs posted multiple tweets about his feelings Tuesday: “I love football . . . with all of me. But there’s so many unanswered questions with this upcoming season. I’d be lying if I said I was comfortable starting back up. I’ve been training my butt off just trying to stay ready and prepared.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/07/stefon-diggs-id-be-lying-if-i-said-i-was-comfortable-starting-back-up/

I agree. COVID-19 is a very dangerous thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Buffalo Bills and wide receiver Stefon Diggs have agreed on a restructured deal, which doesn’t extend the length of the contract or add money, but shifts money between years. The move was first reported by Mike Garafolo of NFL Network.

Diggs receives a raise in 2020, with $3.3 million total dollars coming off the books in 2022 and 2023 and into this season. They also gave him a big guaranteed salary increase in 2021, turning $7.7 million of unguaranteed salary into fully guaranteed money.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/8/6/21356949/buffalo-bills-stefon-diggs-agree-on-restructured-contract

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm sure he'll be fine...having Josh Allen throw to him will remind him of Case.

It will be interesting. If he hated that Cousins didn’t constantly throw in his direction, how’s he going to react to a QB who will constantly overthrow him?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 10:23 AM, CriminalMind said:

Diggs was likely unhappy with the offense.
He was beating his man, and not getting the ball at a high enough clip.
I agree with that.
That is partly due to the offense we run and partly due to Cousins.

We could only hope that Jefferson is as equally talented as Diggs in ~3 years, and we have moved on from Cousins (to a better QB if possible).
But it also shouldn't be hugely surprising if non-local star WRs, want a change of scenario, if they are not getting the ball enough.
Its the nature of the WR diva beast

I just read this today. The only way that this scenario plays out right is literally what you just said. 3 years from now thielen is 33 though, will he still be the same guy? 

1 hour ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Welp...this trade isn’t looking to good. It’s exactly like I said. Josh Allen has gone from a 300 yard day to a 400 yard day. First time he had both of those type of games in his career. Anyone recognize the common factor? We made a mistake, a big one. This shouldn’t of happened. 

There was no way to really stop it from happening.  You don't want a guy in the locker-room who potentially could create a "schism."  Stefon was never going to be happy even if he got thrown the ball 10 times a game because he was always going to be considered a 1A/1B type of player.  He wanted to be 1 with no letter behind it.

• Like 1

the theory of diggs makes much more sense with allen than cousins given cousins never really trusted him for whatever reason. interesting to watch him try to jam in balls to thielen with one or two guys draped all over him so far this year, when he rarely gave diggs the same benefit of the doubt. diggs has always graded as one of the best contested catch guys in the NFL and allen will give him ample opportunity to show that off. it is manifesting so far this year already. 

also re: allen, I never thought of allen as better than cousins or a good qb but I might have to eat it on that take. watching him so far this year the talent he has is evident and the best part about him is that he will literally try anything to improve the teams chances of winning. it is refreshing after watching cousins, who at times feels like he is playing not to lose. they are very different qbs for sure, but I think that specific trait is one cousins never had. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There was no way to really stop it from happening.  You don't want a guy in the locker-room who potentially could create a "schism."  Stefon was never going to be happy even if he got thrown the ball 10 times a game because he was always going to be considered a 1A/1B type of player.  He wanted to be 1 with no letter behind it.

Honestly I disagree. I think diggs was happy having thielen on the other side, it made things easier for him the same way. His problem was the adjustments that needed to be made, and the Vikings not making them. Week 4 last season, we could have honestly beaten the bears, but we continued to try and run the ball down their throats and screen game it through. No adjustments made to possibly use our two unguardable receivers. We had moments of stagnant and predictable offense many times and lost because of it.

Diggs didn’t care if he had 1 catch for 4 yards, as long as we won the game he was good with it. Nothing to do with being 1A or 1B. 

Just now, Illadelegend215 said:

Honestly I disagree. I think diggs was happy having thielen on the other side, it made things easier for him the same way. His problem was the adjustments that needed to be made, and the Vikings not making them. Week 4 last season, we could have honestly beaten the bears, but we continued to try and run the ball down their throats and screen game it through. No adjustments made to possibly use our two unguardable receivers. We had moments of stagnant and predictable offense many times and lost because of it.

Diggs didn’t care if he had 1 catch for 4 yards, as long as we won the game he was good with it. Nothing to do with being 1A or 1B. 

You feel free to disagree, but his tweets said otherwise.

• Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

You feel free to disagree, but his tweets said otherwise.

In all honest, what did his tweets show that said he was tired of being on this team with Adam Thielen? I see certain tweets that maybe took shots at play calling, but what exact tweets did he post that more so in a shady way say “I want to be clear cut number one, I don’t want to be on this team if I am not, thielen has to go”?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illadelegend215 said:

In all honest, what did his tweets show that said he was tired of being on this team with Adam Thielen? I see certain tweets that maybe took shots at play calling, but what exact tweets did he post that more so in a shady way say “I want to be clear cut number one, I don’t want to be on this team if I am not, thielen has to go”?

It's not necessarily that he wanted Thielen to go, but he wanted to be the clear #1 guy and he wasn't getting the ball enough to show that he was.  I don't want to go down that road again since it's been hashed and re-hashed over...but it's not solely just the tweets, it's the compilation of all the circumstantial evidence in addition to the tweets.  A guy whose happy at how he's being utilized doesn't make a bunch of those types of tweets in addition to complaining behind the scenes during training camp and making flimsy illness excuses to disappear for 2-3 days in the regular season.

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's not necessarily that he wanted Thielen to go, but he wanted to be the clear #1 guy and he wasn't getting the ball enough to show that he was.  I don't want to go down that road again since it's been hashed and re-hashed over...but it's not solely just the tweets, it's the compilation of all the circumstantial evidence in addition to the tweets.  A guy whose happy at how he's being utilized doesn't make a bunch of those types of tweets in addition to complaining behind the scenes during training camp and making flimsy illness excuses to disappear for 2-3 days in the regular season.

Thielen has nothing to do with Diggs’ utilization. To me, Diggs and Thielen played different positions and had different roles. They could have coexisted together and I doubt Diggs didn’t see it that way. I suspect Diggs was frustrated being on an offense stuck in the 90s and playing with a QB who was simply locked into one target far too often. 

If the Vikes had a pass first mentality and used the short passing game as an extension of the run game, Diggs would still be here. I just don’t think Zimmer was flexible enough to change approach so I understand why Diggs wanted out. Thielen even missed most of last season so Diggs had an opportunity at being the top target, without Thielen active, and Diggs was still upset with usage. It’s not a Thielen issue, it’s a Cousins/Zimmer issue.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2