Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

23 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

New York's data is a little bit funky because instead of having a # of new cases reported each day they go back and retroactively add cases for a few days

But

Their MoL appears to be somewhere in the range of 7-10, they're very clearly slowing down and headed in the right direciton

We are considering options to add a New York State MoL as well as potentially MoLs for other states, such as New Jersey, California, Louisiana, and Michigan 

Edited by mission27

So looking at the New York data finally in detail

New York's MoL was off the charts

It would have been above 100 every day from 3/9 to 3/20 peaking at almost 500 on Friday the 13th 

But it has dropped dramatically since then as the city's been locked down, was in the teens last weekend into last week, and dropped to 8.8 on 4/2 (the last day I'm comfortable giving a # for because of gaps in the data)  

Safe to say no area has had an MoL in that ballpark except potentially parts of Lombardy and Wuhan itself

Edited by mission27
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mission27 said:

New York's data is a little bit funky because instead of having a # of new cases reported each day they go back and retroactively add cases for a few days

But

Their MoL appears to be somewhere in the range of 7-10, they're very clearly slowing down and headed in the right direciton

We are considering options to add a New York State MoL as well as potentially MoLs for other states, such as New Jersey, California, Louisiana, and Michigan 

Honestly I was just talking about less deaths and new hospitalizations than the day before

27 minutes ago, mission27 said:

So looking at the New York data finally in detail

New York's MoL was off the charts

It would have been above 100 every day from 3/9 to 3/20 peaking at almost 500 on Friday the 13th 

But it has dropped dramatically since then as the city's been locked down, was in the teens last weekend into last week, and dropped to 8.8 on 4/2 (the last day I'm comfortable giving a # for because of gaps in the data)  

Safe to say no area has had an MoL in that ballpark except potentially parts of Lombardy and Wuhan itself

Washington State? Specifically Seattle?

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Right now I have a feeling that a lot of states have enhanced unemployment benefits, while people are still processing what the federal government aid items were passed last week can do for them.  In my business, it took a couple days for my boss to really have a gripe on them, and there are still questions the corporate office is working through in regards to the PPP and it's over a week later.  

Also, businesses that are transitioning to constructing items like ventilators, hand sanitizer and medical equipment that were not previous doing them, it takes time to recalibrate equipment, get the raw materials and then train the staff there.  Additionally, states are still getting their national guards online to help with additional field hospitals and other facilities.  There is a ramp up time right now that everyone is going through, and those things will not be concerns the next time this spikes.  

I hate being home as much as everyone, and also feel that there is a breaking point somewhere, but we aren't there yet.  I'm also agreeing with @ET80 in that sports is the last thing that needs to open to the public.  There is some sense of normalcy that will come when live events are back online, and that will help morale of the people, but they shouldn't be for a live audience.

I am also in agreement that large sports gatherings do not need to make a come back right now, I’m not sure how people keep getting that from what I posted. I’ve clearly stated that closing all “non-essential” businesses for an entire year or longer until we conjure the magic potion will be catastrophic. This does not mean we immediately jump back in to large gatherings of thousands and thousands of people. It does however mean that once we’re over the peak and cases have died down we slowly begin to ramp up the reopening of non-essential businesses with caution.

I also am in complete agreement that the second spike won’t be nearly as bad as it is now (and I laid out why a few pages back) and is also part of the reason why it will be okay to begin reopening non-essential businesses.

• Like 3

I might have said it before, but it’s worth repeating... The stupidity of people through this makes every single slow zombie movie much more believable.  A zombie outbreak and you’d have idiots daring each other to slap zombies and they’d call it Zombie Challenge and it would trend on Twitter.  

• Like 7

Please don’t use this as an opportunity to get political.

Boris Johnson was admitted to the hospital, 10 days after a positive test due to “persistent symptoms,” and will be receiving a number of tests. Rumors had been floating for days that his case was far more severe than the public had been made aware of, and it’s believed that the testing may be for pneumonia. 

Wonder if we will eventually have a special mask contest in this thread. It's a great opportunity showcase your different styles. Mine would obviously Chargers powderblues with the lighting bolts lol.

Anyways....

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/03/826996154/coronavirus-faqs-is-a-homemade-mask-effective-and-whats-the-best-way-to-wear-one?utm_source=pocket-newtab

There's one big reason for the change: There is increasing evidence that the virus can be spread by presymptomatic and asymptomatic carriers.

These new policies come with the vital plea that people don't use the medical-grade masks that are in short supply in hospitals right now. That means one thing: The era of the homemade masks and face coverings is upon us.

With this new attitude come many questions — which we'll attempt to answer here.

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Wonder if we will eventually have a special mask contest in this thread. It's a great opportunity showcase your different styles. Mine would obviously Chargers powderblues with the lighting bolts lol.

Anyways....

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/03/826996154/coronavirus-faqs-is-a-homemade-mask-effective-and-whats-the-best-way-to-wear-one?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I’ve seen multiple people with makeshift masks who are, in my best estimation, worse off than they would’ve been with no mask at all....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pwny said:

Please don’t use this as an opportunity to get political.

Boris Johnson was admitted to the hospital, 10 days after a positive test due to “persistent symptoms,” and will be receiving a number of tests. Rumors had been floating for days that his case was far more severe than the public had been made aware of, and it’s believed that the testing may be for pneumonia. 

Do you need hospital admission for pneumonia? Being PM, I'm sure they could get a portable X-ray and any other tests he might need (Blood gases etc.) into Downing Street no?

Best of luck to him and his family.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Do you need hospital admission for pneumonia? Being PM, I'm sure they could get a portable X-ray and any other tests he might need (Blood gases etc.) into Downing Street no?

Best of luck to him and his family.

I mean, of course they could, but logistically it makes far more sense for him to go there.