Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Life has a way of humbling us.

Boris Johnson moved to ICU after hospitalization with coronavirus symptoms

(further down in article)

The UK had faced criticism for its slow response to the coronavirus, with Johnson still shaking hands of patients with the virus in hospital just a few weeks ago.

3 hours ago, mission27 said:

Yes daily new cases (that's why I said below 4k)

However... 

Active cases today = 93,187

Active cases reported yesterday = 91,246

So they went up by 1,941 compared to the day before when they went up by 2,972 and the day before when they went up by 2,886 etc. 

Point being we are getting very close to the day when active cases will hit their apex, level off, and then start falling, which is what we're seeing in Austria, Switzerland, and some other countries that probably did a better job of shutting things down before they reached Italy levels

I really hope you’re right. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

Boris Johnson moved to ICU after hospitalization with coronavirus symptoms

(further down in article)

The UK had faced criticism for its slow response to the coronavirus, with Johnson still shaking hands of patients with the virus in hospital just a few weeks ago.

Yeah, almost bragging about doing so and then shaking other patient’s hands.

Well done.

1 minute ago, August4th said:

why would they allow boris to shake hands with people who have cobid ..wth

Boris' original plan was for everyone under 70 to stay out and about living their lives so they could develop herd immunity and only make old people stay home

So basically his plan called for people not to even try to not get covid, because the sooner they got it, the sooner the old people could come out of hiding... presumably himself included as a relatively young person in decent health 

Tbf I think he and some of his advisers genuinely thought it was the best strategy (its right up his ally of arguably half baked contrarianism) but pretty quickly pivoted when there was no political appetite to let a million people die and the NHS collapse 

Its ironic but also sad on a personal level and not great for the UK, gotta hope he is going to be ok, at least you know he is getting the best treatment possible

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mission27 said:

State by state MoLs for those who have asked... idk when this data will update, so this may be your update for the day... note there's a slight disconnect to the worldometers.info data

State-mo-L-4620-1553-2.png

Some observations: 

1. Data is noisier at the state level due to smaller sample sizes and differences in how states report data

2. Big improvement in New York is driving big improvement in US number overall 

3. Louisiana had a big bump (maybe due to testing) at the end of March and beginning of April but last few days numbers seem to be turning the corner and same with Michigan 

4. MoLs are not climbing anywhere (only states where MoLs are climbing overall are Delaware and Vermont and both have very small case #s)

5. Unfortunately MoLs aren't dropping in areas like California, Florida either BUT as @vikesfan89 points out this could be driven by increased availability of testing in these states 

6. We don't really see hot spots developing in areas like Denver, Boston that have been mentioned by the task force.. although maybe if we looked at this 3 days ago, could've been a different story... either way, numbers there are very encouraging 

We will continue to update this going forward 

I like the MoL rankings, thanks Mission/TLO.

I wonder which states were in tiers 1 and 2.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, daboyle250 said:

I like the MoL rankings, thanks Mission/TLO.

I wonder which states were in tiers 1 and 2.

Nobody in tier 1 (well, American Samoa has 0 known cases ever and Northern Mariana Islands have no known cases in the last 5 days, so I guess you could put them in tier 1 or even tier 0)

Only state in tier 2 is Oregon but only as of yesterday (before they were tier 3)

A few states like Washington, New York, Minnesota could arguably jump into tier 2 soon

Edited by mission27
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

several week ago this site was posted with the remark taht once it took longer than 3 days for the deaths to double, then we started to flatten the curve. Is that still the case? If so despote the # of deaths theres some good news in this?

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus#growth-country-by-country-view

yep, curve is absolutely flattening, and deaths are a lagging indicator so in a week or two we may very well be close to where Italy is (every 10-11 days) 

It becomes less of a meaningful metric after that because you're already on the other side of a major outbreak which skews your historical numbers

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, almost bragging about doing so and then shaking other patient’s hands.

Well done.

Reminds me of the scene in Titanic when the ship is sinking, and the rich guy in a hat is adamant in taking his time to board the lifeboats like there isn't a free-for-all to get out. He even insists on getting a "brandy" before departing. A little later he's shocked when rushing water is barreling down on him...as if he was going to be spared by mother nature, because...well he's rich and above the problems of commoners. 

• Like 3

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Reminds me of the scene in Titanic when the ship is sinking, and the rich guy in a hat is adamant in taking his time to board the lifeboats like there isn't a free-for-all to get out. He even insists on getting a "brandy" before departing. A little later he's shocked when rushing water is barreling down on him...as if he was going to be spared by mother nature, because...well he's rich and above the problems of commoners. 

Lol that would totally be mission

Life not worth living without a spot of brandy