Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Its reasonable to ask people to make sacrifices for a period of time to help others.  Its not necessarily reasonable to ask the vast majority of people who are at low risk to put their lives on hold indefinitely, potentially for years

Problem is not those who are low risk though, it's that they might contract it and give it to high-risk people - who then have to use the healthcare system. Extrapolate this up and there's a massive f problem (well, there already is). 

I agree it can't go on forever though. There will be some morally ambiguous decisions to make.....

We can see the curve flattening in 3 of those hardest hit countries as of this week, after strict lockdown. So, there does appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Populations need to be smart until that time, I would say. (Unlike where I'm from).

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, mission27 said:

Minimizing people's dignity and rights to pursue life liberty and happiness is the first step in a very dangerous direction

I gave up caring what people did awhile ago. The government should too.

America could look like Aleppo during an actual war and there would still be people wanting to go shopping. It’s the consumer culture and I don’t blame people for it. It’s a lack of discipline yes, but our capitalistic society runs like a pyramid scheme and you have no choice. Some of it is people don’t want to think about stressful things.

Edited by candyman93

Where do you guys stand with the whole take out/delivery thing while balancing not putting you, your family or the delivery people in danger? Like my wife and I want to help out local businesses but most of them dont offer gift cards online or at all but at the same time the risk of getting sick increases when you have someone else make your food and bring it to you?

Yes, we go to the grocery store once every 2 weeks now so getting sick is obviously possible there but otherwise we dont come within 6 ft of anyone

9 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Where do you guys stand with the whole take out/delivery thing while balancing not putting you, your family or the delivery people in danger? Like my wife and I want to help out local businesses but most of them dont offer gift cards online or at all but at the same time the risk of getting sick increases when you have someone else make your food and bring it to you?

Yes, we go to the grocery store once every 2 weeks now so getting sick is obviously possible there but otherwise we dont come within 6 ft of anyone

Every report that's come out has said your chances of getting the virus from food be it takeout or delivery are very very slim. Most places offering delivery are now offering contactless delivery...I ordered last night at work and the doordash driver simply placed the food outside the door, let me know it was there, and left. 

16 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

My wife and I have had food delivered to us like 10 time since this thing started, you can just instruct them to leave it on the ground at the door if your worried about contact. Just take whatever you order out of the bag and put it on a plate/bowl and then wash your hands and you’ll be fine. No danger at all

• Like 1

Is it possible this virus acts like herpes and is a lifelong illness that can flare up? There are reports of 'reactivation' in patients shortly after discharge, which I assumed just meant there were still fragments of the virus left after the patient was 'cured'.

People were freaking out typing it's 'air herpes' (lol) on reddit so I said reactivation does not mean it's life long disease, and someone called me out for misinformation.  I responded by saying I was just giving context to the article. 

I haven't seen any studies that insinuate it will be a lifelong virus, but maybe there are some experts out there who believe it's even the slightest possibility? We walk a fine line between fear mongering and misinformation,  and I'm trying to stay level with it all, so if I'm in the wrong here I'd like to know....

3 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Is it possible this virus acts like herpes and is a lifelong illness that can flare up? There are reports of 'reactivation' in patients shortly after discharge, which I assumed just meant there were still fragments of the virus left after the patient was 'cured'.

People were freaking out typing it's 'air herpes' (lol) on reddit so I said reactivation does not mean it's life long disease, and someone called me out for misinformation.  I responded by saying I was just giving context to the article. 

I haven't seen any studies that insinuate it will be a lifelong virus, but maybe there are some experts out there who believe it's even the slightest possibility? We walk a fine line between fear mongering and misinformation,  and I'm trying to stay level with it all, so if I'm in the wrong here I'd like to know....

I personally haven't seen a single report or study that suggests that but I certainly can't say I've read every study out there.

6 hours ago, N4L said:

that's the craziest part - what needs to be done is contradictory to all America's natural freedoms. Of course people have the right to 'freak' as you say, but that doesn't mean they should. 

We should be focused on keeping people fed, clothed, sheltered, and healthy. 

That doesn't mean being in lockdown forever. As I said, there needs to be some balance restored. Part of that is finding our footing in the new world, some of that is taking calculated risks. its how we measure those risks against the benefits that will determine how deep this runs. 

We don't know necessarily that it will come back in the fall. we do know that social distancing and sheltering in place does work. what if I told you 6 months of shelter would be enough, but that if you lifted restrictions after 5 that it would come back in the fall. What would you do? 

We should also be focused on letting people get back to work so their lives aren’t completely flipped upside down anymore than what they already are. Health, food, shelter, and clothing are basic needs. But if that’s all we’re worried about for 6 months a lot more lives will be ruined. The purpose of the lockdown was never to wait until there’s a cure or to guarantee (nobody can do this) there won’t be a second spike. It was to lockdown to flatten the curve so our medical system isn’t overrun.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

Unfortunately it seems a lot of people's identity right now is tied up in either wokeness about the coronavirus or thinking its completely overblown, just like everything else in our society only magnified because its the only thing anyone cares about anymore 

The wokeness angle is obviously the dominant POV among New York media types and they have the added incentive of fear mongering being good for business.  Not saying its some sort of conspiracy but the cultural wokeness about this issue + subconscious desire to find something new and newsworthy to publish is driving a lot of bad takes getting attention

Unfortunately many people fundamentally did not understand what the point of distancing and flattening the curve was and so you do have a group of people that legitimately believe we need to stay home until this is eradicated.  I think the technical term for these people is bat**** crazy

Facts on facts.  Like with everything you have two extremes which get blasted all over the media and then what I hope is the majority of people somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Danger said:

I have very controversial opinions on certain matters that I'll not delve further into. And yeah, I'd be fine as would most people. The negative ramifications this cautious approach are going to get exponentially worse the longer this goes on. I've seen some estimates at 12 to 18 months even. At what point do we decide that the current approach just isn't sustainable for the country as a whole.

Ohhhh be careful around these parts! 

7 hours ago, mission27 said:

The thing that's most disturbing tbh is that people's legitimate need to go back to their work and life and friends and family is increasingly being minimized as if its selfish for people to want to return to their lives and loved ones and have an economic future because it might cause a higher rate of death or more strain on the health care system

Its reasonable to ask people to make sacrifices for a period of time to help others.  Its not necessarily reasonable to ask the vast majority of people who are at low risk to put their lives on hold indefinitely, potentially for years

The attitude that's developing that 'we just need to learn to live like this' is extreme tbh.  We always have choices.  Yes this is a war.  Sometimes we need to decide to end a war or change our approach because the cost is too great and not justified by the strategic objective.  Unfortunately our leaders are often years behind the public in figuring this out.  Hopefully wont be the case here

Minimizing people's dignity and rights to pursue life liberty and happiness is the first step in a very dangerous direction

A very slippery slope in which some states are starting to take it too far and a lot of the commentary makes it seem as if they want to make certain changes last longer.  At any point when a people say "I depend on my government to take care of me" and not "I provide for myself/my family" we have a major problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Life is about balance

the virus has thrown off the balance of everything. of life, of our healthcare system, our logistics, our consumerism, our connectivity to eachother. we are adapting to the new normal. People are settling in. Its been basically 1 month to the day since 3/11. I think people are realizing how bad this is for everyone. I think the 'it cant continue forever' people are right, I also think the 'we need to shelter in place until this is over because this is a big freaking problem' are also right. Its about figuring out how to adapt under a completely new set of circumstances. 

At some point, people need to be able to accept the risks as adults. There is no cure / vaccine / guaranteed treatment out there right now. That's the reality. How people choose to live within that reality should be theres to make - to a point. If we tested more, and gave people immunity certificates, we might be able to loosen things up for a few months over the summer on a case by case basis. There has never been a better time for local governments to step up to the plate.  

After the summer its a coinflip. Will it come back harder or die in the heat? fate will decide the balance of the world

I agree with a lot of this, but the issue I have is who determines what is balanced?  What may be balanced for you may no be balanced for myself or our parents, etc.  So yes life 100% needs to be about balance, but that is so specific to each person and their situation.  No person should be told what their balance is.  

7 hours ago, N4L said:

that's the craziest part - what needs to be done is contradictory to all America's natural freedoms. Of course people have the right to 'freak' as you say, but that doesn't mean they should. 

We should be focused on keeping people fed, clothed, sheltered, and healthy. 

That doesn't mean being in lockdown forever. As I said, there needs to be some balance restored. Part of that is finding our footing in the new world, some of that is taking calculated risks. its how we measure those risks against the benefits that will determine how deep this runs. 

We don't know necessarily that it will come back in the fall. we do know that social distancing and sheltering in place does work. what if I told you 6 months of shelter would be enough, but that if you lifted restrictions after 5 that it would come back in the fall. What would you do? 

Isn't that such a specific question though? Hell, keep me in shelter in place for 12+ months, I will be just fine.  In fact I love working from home, do not gather in large crowds since I was about 25 and spend most my time smoking meat and training my dog.  What about someone who isn't as fortunate and can't accomplish the same things without being allowed out in the world.  What about all those small businesses and "non-essential" people? Their answer is different from mine which will be different from yours.