Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, mistakey said:

yeah, i dont think this take is right.  i dont think they take it as a joke nor do i think some people take it as a joke.  

If people are taking them seriously (like whoever that one guy was that posted them somewhere else), then yeah let them have it. 

But I read it as a joke, and frankly, I'd struggle to read a pandemic response ranking that starts with a Taylor Swift lyric of the day as anything else.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/iceland-finds-that-half-its-citizens-with-coronavirus-have-shown-no-symptoms-2020-04-10

This was an interesting read. Iceland has tested 10% of it’s population. More than any country. Half of the people who have Corona are asymptomatic, which is twice what CDC suggested (1 in 4). This means the spread/contagiousness could be much worse than anticipated. 

Also means that perhaps some people can carry it and not be affected and only carriers and/or they are still in incubation. 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If people are taking them seriously (like whoever that one guy was that posted them somewhere else), then yeah let them have it. 

But I read it as a joke, and frankly, I'd struggle to read a pandemic response ranking that starts with a Taylor Swift lyric of the day as anything else.

I mean we all know how powerful disinformation can be.  Amateur information in pretty packaging can be just as powerful/dangerous.  “...its just a football forum”

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The recommendation to not wear masks was just a lie by the CDC because they didn’t want hospitals to run out of masks (which they did). Saw through that lie right away. Of course a N95 Mask will help prevent you getting the virus. Common sense. Will it be bulletproof? No where close. But it will help, a lot. 

I’ve learned a lot about the government/CDC during this pandemic. Just non stop lies. 

Can you link me to where the CDC said N95s wouldn't be effective? I'd be very surprised if the CDC of all organizations said they wouldn't be effective. Unless you confused N95s with regular masks?

N95s absolutely need to be for healthcare workers first and foremost. We had a shortage at my hospital before the first wave started to wreak havoc. Also, if you're not fitted properly for the N95, then it's not going to be nearly as effective. Healthcare workers are on the front lines, so they're priority #1. Everyone else can stay home. That's their main preventative measure for now. 

I'm also not sure the CDC lied about masks. I honestly believe it was a misconception. My wife, who has her PHD in Genetics, said a regular mask wouldn't provide much protection against an airborne virus since the virus is small enough to get through the mask. Many Scientists believed that. Unfortunately, what was neglected is it may prevent droplets from being exposed to the public. Also, it may stop people from touching their face. There's still an ongoing debate on how effective regular masks are, but I think it's fair to say they do provide a bit of a barrier. 

Finally, I read an article that the CDC was sounding the alarms back in Jan. about this virus. Unfortunately, we aren't able to hear much from the CDC now-a-days, and my reasoning for that would break the rules of the thread, so we'll have to skim over that part.

Just now, mistakey said:

I mean we all know how powerful disinformation can be.  Amateur information in pretty packaging can be just as powerful/dangerous.  “...its just a football forum”

Even the disinformation that has come into this thread doesn't appear to come from the mission rankings. So far, the bulk of it has been people parroting far right talking points. That doesn't absolve people from presenting information that's misleading (though LIS above I think it's intended as a joke), but it is a sign that people are taking it as the joke that it's meant to be.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Even the disinformation that has come into this thread doesn't appear to come from the mission rankings. So far, the bulk of it has been people parroting far right talking points. That doesn't absolve people from presenting information that's misleading (though LIS above I think it's intended as a joke), but it is a sign that people are taking it as the joke that it's meant to be.

Yeah, i dont think youre right here. I also think its up to the community members who know better to self police but thats just my anarchocurious politics coming into play.  Ill exit again.  No more gripin about the dumbass rankings just like i dont argue about seasonality anymore- @theJ

33 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The recommendation to not wear masks was just a lie by the CDC because they didn’t want hospitals to run out of masks (which they did). Saw through that lie right away. Of course a N95 Mask will help prevent you getting the virus. Common sense. Will it be bulletproof? No where close. But it will help, a lot. 

I’ve learned a lot about the government/CDC during this pandemic. Just non stop lies. 

Is there still a shortage? The local rescues squads were all sent 50 surgical masks recently

6 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Can you link me to where the CDC said N95s wouldn't be effective? I'd be very surprised if the CDC of all organizations said they wouldn't be effective. Unless you confused N95s with regular masks?

N95s absolutely need to be for healthcare workers first and foremost. We had a shortage at my hospital before the first wave started to wreak havoc. Also, if you're not fitted properly for the N95, then it's not going to be nearly as effective. Healthcare workers are on the front lines, so they're priority #1. Everyone else can stay home. That's their main preventative measure for now. 

I'm also not sure the CDC lied about masks. I honestly believe it was a misconception. My wife, who has her PHD in Genetics, said a regular mask wouldn't provide much protection against an airborne virus since the virus is small enough to get through the mask. Many Scientists believed that. Unfortunately, what was neglected is it may prevent droplets from being exposed to the public. Also, it may stop people from touching their face. There's still an ongoing debate on how effective regular masks are, but I think it's fair to say they do provide a bit of a barrier. 

Finally, I read an article that the CDC was sounding the alarms back in Jan. about this virus. Unfortunately, we aren't able to hear much from the CDC now-a-days, and my reasoning for that would break the rules of the thread, so we'll have to skim over that part.

I just remember hearing on the news when the panic first started that wearing masks wouldn't do anything 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/iceland-finds-that-half-its-citizens-with-coronavirus-have-shown-no-symptoms-2020-04-10

This was an interesting read. Iceland has tested 10% of it’s population. More than any country. Half of the people who have Corona are asymptomatic, which is twice what CDC suggested (1 in 4). This means the spread/contagiousness could be much worse than anticipated. 

Also means that perhaps some people can carry it and not be affected and only carriers and/or they are still in incubation. 

My wife and I had it. I also think our dog had it.

Given that, I am somewhat amazed that our 3 young children haven't even had a runny nose between them. 

7 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Even N95's only filter down to 0.3 micron.  They won't filter airborne virus cells (as large as 0.1 micron, some are smaller).  They would filter droplets, which are much larger.

the effectiveness just really depends on what you're talking about filtering.

11 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I am happy to admit that I thought the information from the MOL stuff was 'legit'.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

CDC recommended not to wear face masks of any kind until recently.