Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is the weirdest thing I'll maybe ever type, but in terms of ease of interaction, the IRS >>>

Accountant here. Can confirm.

But the site is getting smashed and I can’t update my direct deposit info. Sad. 

7 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

There are well established historical baselines for # of deaths per year which can be adjusted on actuarial basis for the YoY change in demographics. The change compared to that, the excess deaths,  can be very reasonably labeled as covid deaths. That doesnt help in real time, but your claim of never is ...well ... not helpful

And even using that is still a best guess scenario, I said we'll never know the absolute number didn't say we wouldn't have a good general idea.

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

For sure. Or Antonio Cromartie. His tax day is probably a little more confusing though.

Granted I don't know Cromartie and I'm judging his entire life on his hilariously poor pullout game, but I'm willing to bet Cromartie comes from the Wesley Snipes school of financial advice.

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

From my understanding, that is the timeframe for FDA to allow for the company to track the vaccine for adverse side-effects.  They have allowed companies to go almost directly to human testing after they clear some basic hurdles, but it will still take that amount of time to see what happens. 

Good post, with a minor caveat.
They have allowed some vaccines to go straight to human testing because they're very similar to others that were approved.
For completely new vaccines, they still have to do the full process - and the FDA is expediting the review for both options

It takes about 3 weeks for you to make antibodies in response to a vaccine, then more time to see adverse events or determine if it actually works.
Here's a few snippets from an article on development timelines and what can be done for healthcare workers vs what can be done for millions of humans

"It really depends on what you mean by ‘having a vaccine’,” says Marian Wentworth, president and CEO of Management Sciences for Health
“If you mean one that can be used in a mass vaccination campaign, allowing us all to get on with our lives, then 12 to 18 months is probably right.” 

( that means Feb/March of 2021)

But in terms of an experimental vaccine that is deemed safe and effective enough to be rolled out in a more limited way – to high-risk groups such as health workers, say – that could be ready within weeks or months, under emergency rules developed by regulatory agencies & the World Health Organization

"Normally, a vaccine is developed in the lab before being tested on animals. If it proves safe and generates a promising immune response in this pre-clinical phase, it enters human clinical trials. These are divided into three phases, each of which takes longer and involves more people than the previous one.

Phase 1 establishes the vaccine’s safety in a small group of healthy individuals, with the goal of ruling out debilitating side effects.
Phases 2 and 3 test efficacy, and in an outbreak like the present one they are conducted in places where the disease is prevalent.

Note: 
Pay attention to Phase 2 and Phase 3 results, those are meaningful. Conversely, killing coronavirus in test tubes means very little in terms of treating humans. There are 65+ vaccines in development right now, if 2-3 of those work well, that would be considered a success

And to tie all of this together in the opinion of one anonymous dude on the internet:
Mass vaccines will eventually be available to protect everybody, but in the mean time - there is a ton of work being done on various treatments and those treatments can make a BIG difference. IF you can protect healthcare workers with an emergency vaccine AND you have a way to treat people with drugs or plasma from recovered patients, then things look much better for modifying the stay-at-home rules sooner.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yes, as long as your adjusted gross income (post tax income) is below $75,000 a year single/$150,000 a year married.

And there's a phaseout period above those amounts ($5 for every $100 of AGI).  So up to 198k AGI MFJ you'll get something.