Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

I hope they get something substantial, grocery, delivery, medical, etc. 

These guys all need a pay raise for the risk that they're putting themselves in. Also teachers. Parents know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

My dad just told me that he thinks he had COVID back in early February. He had all the symptoms and said it was like nothing he had ever had before. He was feeling so bad he left his trip to Arizona early so he could be close to the Mayo Clinic in MN. There obviously weren't tests or really any knowledge of it in the US back then, but he was a doctor for 35 years, so I tend to believe him. He also visited 40 countries in mid-late 2019, including SE Asia and Italy, so...

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the other side you’re referring to, which I’m part of, wants to see things rolled out a bit more cautiously and with comprehensive measures in place.

We touched on it a bit yesterday, but movie theaters need to manage seating (remove seats, disinfect, etc), gyms need x amount of dedicated staff whose only job is sanitation, etc.  I think salons/barbershops should require face masks, same with massages, and we just don’t have the PPE to do that right now.

Starting by reopening business that are lower risk (retail stores for example) and seeing how it goes and gradually opening the rest is what I would prefer.  

I am still in shock that gyms/theaters are on the list of things to be open before certain retail.  You can easily enforce guidelines at a retail shop (just like with a Grocery Store) but how the hell can a gym stay clean?  Movie theaters are just gross by design. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Most businesses, can’t stay in business operating at reduced capacity. Most retailers were in trouble before this began and I don’t see them being profitable by having limits on shoppers. We also have to consider that many additional people have been forced into online shopping. Only time will tell if those customers adopt the change permanently.

Would you rather try to adapt and be given a chance to find a way or just told you are done and must cease operations?  Find me a small business owner that isn't willing to try and make it work because the current path is guaranteed failure for most.  Risk reward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's one easy way to handle this. 
I'm going to send you a random list of US citizens , populated with people you know and love. You pick out the 3 million that you think should die and put a black mark next to their names. Then you can draft the letter to their loved ones thanking them for their service to our country.
Knowing what I know about you, I'm guessing that shortly after you hand-deliver the 1st letter, you'll have an epiphany about the faceless/nameless 1% you're willing to sacrifice. I understand the overall sentiment, but when you make it real -  it looks a lot different than a small number on a page.

Ok, so here's your homework while i make that list.

You can put together a list of the people who are forced into homelessness, those who get to go hungry, those who are denied access to basic things we take for granted like food, shelter, water.  Because that's coming.  No, it won't start with average Joe in middle class america.  It'll impact the fringes first who rely on the charity of others.  The same others who are now just barely scraping by and can't afford that charity anymore.  The impact will be felt here in America, as well as 3rd world countries who also rely on that charity.

I am sort of frustratingly furious that you think i'm advocating that people should die for the sake of the stock market.  I don't give two craps about that.  I'm saying that people die in both these scenarios.  I'm saying that this leaves people destitute, which quite honestly isn't much better than dead.  Our current system is not so robust that we can continue on at present indefinitely.  

I'm offended man.  Really offended.

Now, all that said: i'm still not advocating that we open everything back up to normal tomorrow.  There are quite obviously stages to this, and precautions that have to be made.  I'm all for being cautious, and i'll definitely be cautious personally.  I don't really see a light at the end of the tunnel where i'm not wearing a mask in public, for example.  

What i am advocating for, is to start planning that out.  Everything was basically shut down overnight without two thoughts regarding the impact, or how we could operate on safely.  For example: i can't currently get my grill propane tanks filled because the company i've used in the past won't let anyone on site.  You can't really tell me, based on what we know now, that it's unsafe for them to grab the tanks out of my truck bed, fill them, and put them back without me ever leaving the cab of the truck.  I can pay online, and they never have to come within 6' of me.  But that service was deemed non-essential, so it's out.

I'm advocating to start opening stuff like that back up, cautiously and smartly.  And to start soon.  Not 12 months from now.

EDIT: i'm calm now.  I'll leave the post as is.  sorry for firing back - we're good.

Edited by theJ
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Not quite the same thing. Nobody is advocating forcing any body to work. The only coercion during these current events is government forcing people inside or apart from each other. The point at issue here is how much that coercion should be relaxed.

This, I think most people are still going to practice high levels of social distancing, only going out for need, etc. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That is cruel, you're right.

I know it's the "in" thing these days to just pick out one line and imagine the guy is completely on one side of the fence.  But you should try to read into the nuance of what i'm saying.  Because i'm not saying what you think i'm saying.

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Nah, that's your opinion that it's accurate in this case.

So you think it is ok to force 99% of people to do something so that 1% stay out of harms way?  Curious about your thoughts on cars, cigarettes, processed food, alcohol, etc.. 

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

I know it's the "in" thing these days to just pick out one line and imagine the guy is completely on one side of the fence.  But you should try to read into the nuance of what i'm saying.  Because i'm not saying what you think i'm saying.

I don't think you are, even thought plenty are. I just read your previous post. I just can't piece together the thought of losing 1%. It's insane.

Just now, acowboys62 said:

So you think it is ok to force 99% of people to do something so that 1% stay out of harms way?  Curious about your thoughts on cars, cigarettes, processed food, alcohol, etc.. 

The goalposts were here.

Now they're here. 

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

you didn't really provide any nuance until after receiving criticism, though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

you didn't really provide any nuance until after receiving criticism, though

That's fair.  I've talked about it in pages past, but i can't expect anyone to have kept up with hundreds of pages at this point.  Or remember who said what.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xenos said:

These guys all need a pay raise for the risk that they're putting themselves in. Also teachers. Parents know what I'm talking about.

A lot of people have been clamoring to increase minimum wage for years to match inflation.

Now that these minimum wage jobs are truly showing their worth people want to finally give them “something” after this is all over.

Raising their wages to make it a livable career would be a decent start. 

• Like 1