Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

So there's been an autopsy confirm a Covid death in a patient that died in February 6th in the U.S, a full 3 weeks earlier than the first confirmed death was thought to be.

Definitely helps the theory that the virus has been around in the U.S longer than originally estimated.

or perhaps Covid is no longer satisfied with the living, it's going for our dead now as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Do we know that the tests are reliable?

Do we know if there is any immunity?

no and no

but 1. i had the new "rash" symptoms feb 12 and took photo evidence and went straight to doctor (not allergic to anything).  2. wife got sick with covid symptoms on vacation next week and she went to five doctors.

she's been volunteering, etc and we're in a hot spot where we liv in NYC.  id be surprised if we werent both immune, otherwise we would have gotten sick again, guaranteed.  i know its anecdotal but that is our experience

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistakey said:

no and no

but 1. i had the new "rash" symptoms feb 12 and took photo evidence and went straight to doctor (not allergic to anything).  2. wife got sick with covid symptoms on vacation next week and she went to five doctors.

she's been volunteering, etc and we're in a hot spot where we liv in NYC.  id be surprised if we werent both immune, otherwise we would have gotten sick again, guaranteed.  i know its anecdotal but that is our experience

I hope so mate.

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

That is crazy - I would think that delivery-heavy places like pizza joints would be doing really well right now

I went to the Pizza Hut around the corner for me for carryout. Absolutely slammed. 

54 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Do we know if there is any immunity?

From reports I've read, if you get it, you've built up some antibodies against it after it passes (like a cold/flu). So you have a much better time fighting it a 2nd time around. However, you are not immune it seems. 

22 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

From reports I've read, if you get it, you've built up some antibodies against it after it passes (like a cold/flu). So you have a much better time fighting it a 2nd time around. However, you are not immune it seems. 

Eh, not really any substantial data on this, it’s too new.

I mean, how many people have had two positive tests at this point?

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

That is crazy - I would think that delivery-heavy places like pizza joints would be doing really well right now

This particular joint has a large eat in area, and serves a lot more than just pizza.  It's also in the middle of an outdoor mall, and i suspect that the mall owners or whatever just shut the whole place down.  So they may not have been given much choice.

They're also the best place to get pizza near me and have ruined me to all other bad pizza.  So no pizza for me :(

37 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, not really any substantial data on this, it’s too new.

I mean, how many people have had two positive tests at this point?

Not many. I remember reading about two of them.  But I guess because it has happened, it shows we’re not fully immune. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

It has a slower mutation than the flu, so the chances of designing a vaccine that isn't an educated guess (like the flu vaccine is) is something that is possible.  

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/georgia-got-lifting-coronavirus-restrictions-backwards-connecticut-gov-ned-lamont-says.html

I see a lot of people saying this but Georgia Gov. made a good point today

If you are a state that didn't lock down as hard in the first place, your most essential / easiest to distance businesses are already open

So the next step has to be stuff like gyms, right?  Those are the guidelines

I totally appreciate the concern with the George situation but someone is going to have to be first and whoever it is is going to be criticized no matter what, Georgia is not in a worse spot right now than many areas in Europe that are opening similar things back up.  Maybe they could've held off on movie theaters and massage parlors 

Man I know people there. I get that someone needs to be the test subject. But it's harder to be rational when you have personal stake in your friends not dying.

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It has a slower mutation than the flu, so the chances of designing a vaccine that isn't an educated guess (like the flu vaccine is) is something that is possible.  

Right. My post was sans the vaccine. 

8 hours ago, billking said:

Home projects within current budget limits are definitely on the front burner at my place.

Heard on news animal shelters are getting emptied out by people needing new companions to keep company.

Great idea! I have the same plan only it’s all outdoors so I’m waiting to put in an order for pea gravel, ground cover, mulch and stain.

Its awesome that animals are getting adopted. Hopefully people don’t have a change of heart later.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Not many. I remember reading about two of them.  But I guess because it has happened, it shows we’re not fully immune. 

I read that South Korea had 92 people (and counting) that tested positive after recovery. There are a number of possibilities why, and they are investigating.